Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Line issue again!! [This might be in wrong area though]  (Read 2394 times)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
ADSL Line issue again!! [This might be in wrong area though]
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »

Hi all again, oh boy after the last post i made i was hoping that the issues of the past. Man i was so wrong was on ADSL 2 992.3 (ADSL2) and it has been till a couple of days a go soild, 7200kbps syncs and on a 6db profile (interleaved) didn't dip past 5.5db. Now the connection has become unstable so much so i am on 992.1 (ADSL) and i still get disconnections.

Now to cut super long story short i bumped into a BTOR engineer on my way out of the close and had a chat as the engineer was sorting a issue for another house in the close whom runs on the same run to the cab as my line, was seeking if there was any issues of late in the area due to the issue above. I gave the symptoms and it matched the other end users issue and was told that the PCP was putting errors on the line as going from exchange to the PCP there was no errors but from the PCP out there was, i didn't ask anymore after that as i could see he was busy but was happy in the knowledge i wasn't the only person with the issue.

Now since then i noticed random disconnects getting worse on ADSL1 and SNR dropping like no tomorrow and i mean as low as 2db so i decided to do a 17070 Option 2. From this test i heard noise on the line so using the landline i called the ISP to ask for a test to be done and to check to see if they was picking up the disconnects on their end to which they did.

Now the first test come back as past but then i asked for them to do the in depth test as i had a nag it could be a HR fault (from past experience with the line). Now the ISP ran a test called a CuLine test and that result came back with a fault and was showing  Unbalanced cable fault. So i asked for a PSTN fault to be raised to BTW/BTOR.

Now this Unbalanced cable fault is this what is called and AC imbalance (had one before) and also with the SNR on the internet now going sky high hitting 10db atm from 6 and its still creeping upwards. Now could a PCP thats erroring out cause a test to flag up a Unbalanced cable fault?

I know the issue is not inside as we have a pre-filter VDSL plate (MK3) with a RF3 filter inline before the connection into the master socket with the MK3 attached to it from the last engineer visit.

Now currently my router Line Attenuation (dB) down is 43.7db with up at 28db (which on adsl is normally 43db down and 26db up). Now i am syncing at 6144kbps DS and 992kbps US but it feels super slow with the errors that have been seen on the ISP end, on top of that game playing is just now pointless as well with the adsl drops and the constant lagging.

So i am wondering if someone could help shed some light for me on this one. If anyone like @blacksheep has time to look and read.

I am connected to CAB17 from EXCHANGE LCTOD as well. Thanks in advance just hoping for this issue to finally be laid to rest (Dam cooper - > aluminum -> pressurized copper mixed line!!!).

Thanks in advance.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: ADSL Line issue again!! [This might be in wrong area though]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »

Hi hacktrix

Well, for probably only the 2nd time on this forum, we have a member who Exchange area I know very well. It's not my patch, but next to it, and as it's only circa 10 miles from me ..... I've worked there many, many times.

To try and answer your question about 'Imbalanced cable' though. There are just the two wires required from the Exchange to your first Master Socket, at OR, we refer to them as A and B wires.
In an ideal world these two wires will be acting the same for the entirety of their length. However, even a good circuit can see impedance mismatches. For example, if the total loop resistance, (the measurement taken down the A wire towards the Exchange and then from there back up the B wire) is 400ohms ....... then when we measure each individual wire we would want to see A wire= 200 ohms and B wire = 200 ohms. But, because of various different jointing techniques over the years, one wire may see a higher or lower reading than the other. We are allowed to work to a 15ohm difference (used to be 3ohms) between the two wires.

So, the dialogue above refers to a good circuit, but if we now introduce a fault scenario then we get what's called an 'Imbalanced cable'.

There are two common culprits that give rise to this condition, 1) a HR 2) Legacy random-jointing usually found on the E-side wires (Exchange to Cab).
A HR fault, as mooted, will see A and B wires resistance readings differ quite dramatically sometimes. It depends on the severity of the HR. This in turn will also affect the AC Balance of the circuit, which is basically the circuits integrity with regard to keeping out unwanted 'noise'.

The 'Random jointing' issue is where the A and B wires are not a proper twisted pair. In other words, you could have A wire from one twisted pair, and B wire from another twisted pair. This will only affect the AC Balance readings, and not the resistance readings, as it is the twisted pair that is responsible for keeping out the 'Noise'. The A and B wires have to be twisted around each other to attain a good AC Balance, so if they are on 'Split pairs' as would happen with random jointing, the AC Balance for that section of cable would be quite poor. (I hope this makes sense ??).

It does read as if you have a HR fault though, as the give-away is audible noise on the 17070. Hopefully you get a good engineer who can get to the bottom of the problem ?? It may even be me ??  ;) ;D

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
Re: ADSL Line issue again!! [This might be in wrong area though]
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »

Thanks @blacksheep for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying. So my logic of a HR seems to be spot on then hopefully. Why is it though it keeps coming back? Its a shame I don't have a JDSU tester else I could of ran the tests myself. Is there anyway of stopping this from happening again as the last bad joint was on the Ali run but to try and the run replaced is slim as I have pointed this to BTOR more then once as a solution to stop most of the problems and with 150+ visits from BTOR to fix faults that are always on the Ali it would seem more cost effective to just replace in stead of repair.

I take it the PCP erroring out will not be helping if what the BTOR engineer I spoke to is true?

It just ashamed that each fault on the same address is treated as a new fault. We have had a jbod test ( think that what it called) buy a out of area BTOR Engineer and that showed issues with the Ali from cab but nothing got done. That engineers words was your line is f&%#ed they need to replace it and that was 3+ years ago lol. With fibre coming soon I thought they'd replace cab17's run with new cable but they havent.

Why did I move to an area with a moving border why!!!!! At this rate I am going to need a wig with all the hair pulling.

Thanks again for reply

anything