Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL & Line Checker test- another service?  (Read 2249 times)

dellfrog

• Just arrived
ADSL & Line Checker test- another service?
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »

HI
I am having real trouble with BT and am trying to educate myself as to the speed problem
and why it has not been rectified within a reasonable time.  However when I did the ADSL
and LIne Checker test it said in the results that the check had identified another service on the line
and that may prevent me from ordering a new ADSL connection.
Could someone kindly explain what this another service might be? I pay for BT TV and broadband/
I have a desk pc ( ethernet cable) and my wife a laptop which she uses wireless.We also have I pods
which we only use really wehen on holiday. Are these the another service tyhat is mentioned?
Thanks for any help
Kind regards
derek mott   

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: ADSL & Line Checker test- another service?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »

Hi and welcome!

Firstly, this can mean something like a Redcare alarm system if you have one of those. Is all of your broadband, landline and phone services provided by BT?

You can try this checker: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and use the "Address Checker", that'll give you estimates for ADSL and Fibre services if they are available, see how you get on?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

dellfrog

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »

HI Bt do my broadband BT TV and phone line. Nothing else uses line other than wifes pc etc as stated. I use BT wholesale as sppedtest and diagnostics
but that doesnt identify another service like the ADsl and Line checker here.
Thanks
dellfrog 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »

As per the checker results

The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc 

It used to be able to identify the specific items ie LLU or TPON.  But unfortunately I got told off by BT and had to stop saying what it was and thats all Im allowed to say now.    In your case I would assume its because you have an existing adsl broadband connection. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »

Welcome. :)
It's just your own ADSL connection, that's what I get if I check mine . :o
It's saying that you cannot have another ADSL connection on your line unless you get rid of that one first, that's why if you went to another isp they disconnect the current service before it's connected to a new isp.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »

The info comes from the BTw database and I believe its original purpose was to stop ISPs being able to place a new order for a line which already had adsl.  It served as a warning that a MAC key would be needed to migrate the service.  It also flagged up if the line was LLU and also other things which may stop an order going through such as DACs.

At one point the LLU info was quite useful, but the only one Im allowed to specifically display now is TPON and Ive had to leave things as is rather than risk BT making me take it all down.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything