Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vista SP1  (Read 33679 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Vista SP1
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »

OF,I have 'auto updates' enabled and have never had any problems.Some of the optional updates I don't bother with.I have had my vista pc nearly a  year now,and the one thing I have noticed is as more updates were installed things seem to run better than when I first got it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »

The full KB936330 on both the M$ site and on the support disk is 434.5 MB.
If you look at the one on the support disk you will see it includes things like language packs and perhaps a pile of other stuff you dont need. 

M$ include things like this in the full KB to ensure that all eventualities for different PC setups are covered and that can be used on any machine, hence why the file size is larger.

If you run the KB936330.exe from the CD then each PC will only take and actually install  "the bits it needs".

If you download via the updater you only download "the bits you need".

Hope that makes sense?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 02:03:06 PM »

It does make sense.  :)
I think the users with auto updates will be getting SP1 about mid April.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »

I think you're right Phil... and who knows they may even issue it free on CD like they did with the XP service packs.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Personally I like to have files for all the Service Packs, especially since we have more than the one PC and every now and again one might get reinstalled. I also fix other peeps PCs occassionally so I find the files useful to have.

Also after a reinstall and service packs I go on microsoft update and download all the updates (bar those I don't want such as IE7 and WMP11).

I do enable automatic update notifications though so I do keep up to date, but I don't let it do it fully automatically.

Microsoft strongly recommends using Windows Update to download and install Windows Vista SP1 on single PCs:

The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x86 is 65 MB (compared to 450 MB from the Microsoft Download Center).

The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x64 is 125 MB (compared to 745 MB from the Microsoft Download Center).

Well I don't know why microsoft strongly recommends to use Windows Update... probably so people do actually install the correct one.

Yes your right, x86 is 32-bit Windows, although many PCs now use 64-bit processors.
Most PCs ship with 32-bit (x86) version of Windows, which works on both 32-bit and suitable 64-bit platforms.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »

I guess that most people will get it downloaded as a matter of course if they have automatic updates turned on.  I have them turned off, as I prefer to live by the good old IBM method (It's Better Manually).

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »

I must admit I normally have them turned off so as not to slow down anything else that thats running.
Then just take a look every now and then.

The plus side to this is that you then also get to see any additional software or hardware that there may be.
Which you don't get with auto update.

The other plus side being, if there had been a buggy update, it has then possibly been rectified before I get it.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 04:58:35 PM »

I also have system restore turned off... I too don't like too much carp running in the background... I prefer my PC to be like a George Foreman grill... lean and mean.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:32 PM »

If anyone was having problems with downloading SP1 and having problems because of the "Sigma Tel" audio driver problem.
I just read elsewhere that the person has now been offered SP1 when they tried again.

So you might want to try it again, if you want to that is.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 06:18:40 AM »

OF,I have auto update enabled and have not as yet been offered SP1.I also have the Sigma Tel onboard sound card.Is this what has been stopping people from being offered SP1.Has this been sorted now?

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »

I'm in this position too, I've had a lot of other updates this morning so I'll wait and see whether SP1 comes through later

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 08:00:57 AM »

Anne,I too have just had 6 updates come through ready for downloading.I always download everything that is classed as important and recommended.Will have to wait and see too.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »

I also have the Sigma Tel onboard sound card.
Is this what has been stopping people from being offered SP1.
Has this been sorted now?

Yes the Sigma Tel Audio driver seemed to be the problem and stopping SP1 from being downloaded properly.

>> Has this been sorted now?
Possibly

Why don't you all try a "manual" download update and see if SP1 is offered to you this time.

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »

After downloading 11 updates this morning, I was finally offered SP1.  Just finished installing it, and seems to be trouble free. fingers crossed.

Looks like the Sigma tel has finally been fixed

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »

After downloading 11 updates this morning, I was finally offered SP1.  Just finished installing it, and seems to be trouble free. fingers crossed.

Looks like the Sigma tel has finally been fixed
Glad to hear that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything