Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vista SP1  (Read 33682 times)

DrTeeth

Vista SP1
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:30:06 PM »

Well, I been running the RTM of Vista SP1 on my three machines, and damned if I can spot any differences. Definitely no perceptible change in performance. And this was in development when Vista itself was released AIUI. What the heck did they do?
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Vista SP1
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »

.... and all those peeps out there using BIOS emulation to activate vista wont be able to use it any more  :(

i dont think it has the ability to run in lower functionality mode with sp1 on either .... if you installed a RTM vista and the 30 days ran out, you could just run IE, type explorer in the addrss bar and it'd come to life.

(quite a scary pic DrTeeth!!)  ;)
Paul

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »

There have been some people who say they have noticed about a 10% increase, however 10% to mere mortals may not be noticeable, but to a gamer, that's probably a different story.

DrTeeth

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

.... and all those peeps out there using BIOS emulation to activate vista wont be able to use it any more  :(

Cough, cough; not true.

Glad you like the piccy...took it when I was in a good mood.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »

Hmm its interesting that SP1 is so far looking rather disappointing. A performance increase would have been very welcome as Vista just comes across as being clumsy with times when things run fast and times when things hang or grind to a halt for no apparent reason.

I got a little irritated when after only running it for less than a week I had to perform the shut down sequence twice before Vista would actually decide to do it.

We will have to wait and see for the final SP1 verdict, it can't be to much longer before a final release?

When it is released I am sure you good people with Vista will give it a whir and see if it makes life easier or plain harder  :D

DrTeeth

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »

Vista SP1 has been RTMd and that version is readily available from 'the usual sources'  ;).

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »

Cough, cough; not true.

this happened on all the machines :hmm: we tried it on  with the 1st sp release.

i wonder what was different?  later 'release'?  cant imagine they would have taken it out tho

Paul

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »

Will SP1 be a downloadable component, so I can put it on a CD and send it to someone on dialup ?

DrTeeth

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »

Will SP1 be a downloadable component, so I can put it on a CD and send it to someone on dialup ?

Yes.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

There is an "overview" document available from Microsoft here which, somewhat predictably outlines what SP1 is all about.

Microsoft Download Center - Overview of Windows Vista SP1

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »

Thanks, useful document.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »

DrTeeth

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »

The 'day' for me was 6th February  ;).

The official release was delayed to prevent third party app/driver issues that plagued the release of XP's SP2.

Cheers

DrT

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

The official release was delayed to prevent third party app/driver issues that plagued the release of XP's SP2.

... and when they released Vista itself?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »

There is also this article.
http://pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12434

I am set for windows auto updates so I will probably get the SP1 update mid April.I will be able to download it sooner from the Microsoft download centre but whats the rush?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 04:11:37 PM by UncleUB »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything