Announcements > News Articles

Anti-P2P battle gets more intense.

(1/9) > >>

jabns:
Full story: Click Here

I would love to know how the government would implement this!

I have been using a little pogram called Peer Guardian for a long time now and the invaisioon of my privacy is quite shocking. For example when getting custom versions of ubuntu off thepiratebay.org torrent tracker i have about 20 government and anti-p2p IP's trying to connect to the PC with the ports forwarded to it every min.

I personally think that the music industry ect... are going the wrong way about this. I think they need to look at why people are using these methods to get the content, eg: money, quality, bang for buck ect....

I have got music using usenet before. Then after listening to it thought either yes these people deserve my money or no these people do not deserve my money and then it gets deleted.

Also when you see the "stars" doing drugs it makes you wonder why you are funding someones drug habit.

What your thoughts???

James

roseway:
The music and video industries are rich powerful companies who would do just about anything to preserve their vast profits. And they don't do it for the benefit of the artists, that's for sure. The big name stars no doubt make a lot of money out of it, but the lesser artists get ripped off rotten by the music companies. The whole industry stinks.

That being said, I can't believe that this will ever come to much. How on earth are the ISPs supposed to distinguish between legal and illegal P2P? If they tried to ban P2P in total there would surely be a vast outcry from those organisations which use it legally (which include some big household name companies). It's yet another example of politicians who have no understanding of technology bending over for the powerful media lobby.

kitz:
Excellent points

--- Quote ---Perhaps the media industry needs to look at why people download the content and address this. Are people viewing it because its available in some countries months before retail sale in the UK or appearing on UK TV channels? Or is the pricing too high? Are the existing downloads available legally too restrictive, in that the digital rights management makes it hard or impossible for people to copy it from a home PC to a mobile device?
--- End quote ---

Floydoid:
One of the great things about peer-to-peer is that you can often find long deleted tracks that are no longer available by more legitimate means.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7240234.stm

--- Quote ---Some of the UK's biggest internet providers, such as BT, Virgin and Tiscali have been in talks with the entertainment industry over introducing a voluntary scheme for policing pirate activity, but no agreement has been reached.

So far, they have failed to resolve how disputed allegations would be arbitrated - for example, when customers claim other people have been "piggybacking" on their internet service.
--- End quote ---

Will be interesting to see how this one develops.

jabns:
Alot of the open source software/VMware images i use are distributed by torrent netorks because how are a group of people surposed to afford hosting for for iso's that are 700mb+.

The one good thing about IP's is they have to be registered to someone so i just ban any gov,edu,anti-p2p,unused IP blocks and finally corporate IP's.

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version