Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed  (Read 85836 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:30 PM »

Hi

I've now reset the ZyXEL using the reset button on the back and it is now booting normally again, and I've added my configuration back so will put it on line again shortly.  Fingers crossed it was just a one off problem where I was in and out of the Web GUI. 

Anyone using the QoS or disabling it?

Regards

Phil

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »

For info, anyone on Xilo, then VLAN settings don't apply, so untick the Active VLAN box.

Interesting - thank you for letting us know.

Surely that is because there is an HG612 "in front" of the ZyXEL and the latter is not operating as a modem+router?  :-\

If the ZyXEL is used in a "one box" set up, the standard Openreach VLANs will need to configured. Every VDSL2 service, regardless of CP/ISP (and Xilo is no exception), needs to have a modem with the correct tagged VLAN configured.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »

Hi

Found the problem, managed to re-create why it locks up and then needs resetting.  It is emailing the Event Logs.  I had done that previously and set up the option to send an email when the log was full, but didn't set that up again after the reset, and sure enough it was all still up and running this morning.

Just now I set up an SMTP server, set that up in the Log options, then clicked the manual option to 'Email the log now'.  The Web UI froze with the rotating wait graphic, I could then no longer log in to the Web UI or Telnet.  Internet was still up and working at this point although it seemed slower.  Eventually I had no option but to turn off and on again, it booted back up to the same state as before, unresponsive, so I need another reset.

I wonder if the problem is I'm using an internal IP address for the SMTP server which it doesn't like and gets stuck never timing out, eventually causing some corruption.  Who can I report this to?

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:18 AM »

I usually use either the tel no or email address on this page

http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/support/contact_support.shtml

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »

Hi

Thanks, will contact them. 

I'm not exactly finding the VMG8924 very stable, it seems it doesn't take much poking around in the Web UI to cause the box to reboot.  Apart from the Email log issue which corrupts the entire box needing a hard reset, I've had two crashes while in the UI, one was the network overview where you can click an icon of a connected device and click more information, and the other was in the Traffic Status screen, the Web UI went to refresh the NAT stats, came back with nothing, then wouldn't let me log out, (just showed an empty dialogue), and a few seconds later the Internet radio stopped playing and it rebooted.

I expect they have some watchdog running on the Web UI code, so if the Web UI stops responding, it triggers a reboot.

Seems okay if I leave it alone and touch nothing.  Thankfully I'm still not using it as a modem, so it hasn't caused any DLM issues.

It's a bit disappointing so far, the hardware is good, being a fairly well put together Broadcom bit of kit, a shame about the software.

Edit, and another reboot, I only logged in to see what the traffic screen was called.  I've now disabled the Logging in case it is related and using up too much memory with logged items, pushing it over the edge when the Web UI is loaded.

Edit: Not the event log, just rebooted again on the NAT traffic status page.  :no:

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:58:18 PM by PhilipD »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »

What version firmware are you running ?

I have had a few quirks but never to the level of unstability or 'hanging' the router.

The latest version is V1.00(AAKL.7)C0 but most people seem to think that the earlier version V1.00(AAKL6)b1 is most stable.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »

Just to say mine has been up ages with no significant problems of lockups or reboots only a minor hiccup with 2.4ghz wi-fi. All on the latest f/w.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »

My current sync is at 111 days.  That was because I was messing and had to perform a system boot.   
My PPP is only at 55 days, but thats due to going on a PN pipe hopping session to get a better gateway.

Im using f/w V1.00(AAKL6)b1
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »

kitz dont hop :p I did 2 nights ago and wow, what a chore to get back to good performance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 11:51:49 PM »

Nope I wont.   Im sitting here for as long as I can.   Had no issues since I got this gateway. (or the BTw routing to that particular gateway)
-----

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 07:23:24 AM »

Hi

Using the latest firmware (7).  It seems to be stable providing not much happens in the UI, for example it's been up 9 hours now overnight, but rebooted before then as I went into the UI and set a static DNS server under Home Networking.  I went to save the changes and it is just the wait icon spinning, and after several seconds I can guess what it is doing, rebooting.  Once it was back up I could see the changes hadn't saved, so made the exact same change and it saved fine.

So my dilemma now is do I have faulty one and so I should get it exchanged or is it just a software problem?  Given the reboots all happen when I'm in the Web UI seems to suggest software (it's not very well designed looking at the HTML which is using very old versions of jQuery and lots of JavaScript so it would not surprise me if the Web UI is the cause), and I've seen in their release notes they've needed to fix crashes, including one where the whole thing locked up needing a hard reset, which is the same issue I've seen with emailing, a corrupt config.  When not using the Web UI, then essentially it is just ticking along on Broadcom's supplied software stack and so no surprise it appears to be stable.

I'll see it how goes today, perhaps step back to an older version of the firmware.

Regards

Phil

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »

Hi

So after around 11 hours up time I went into the Web GUI only to check the status page to check the uptime, so moved right from the graphical connection of devices, get the usual wait icon, it then never progressed to the status page, but stayed on the graphical page with the black dialogue saying "A problem no internet connection", yet the Internet was fine for about 2 minutes after that, the Web UI could not be logged back into, and of course after several minutes it rebooted, which is likely the action of a watchdog timer.

This can't be right can it, I'm now wondering if the problem is due to moving the Web GUI to port 8080.

Regards

Phil

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »

Phil I cant help wondering if your box itself is defective. I have had mine running now for a month and have not had any of these issues. True I dont use the GUI every day but I do use it and have not had any issues with mine at all (touch wood  ;) ).

Stuart

Just had a thought, mine is running behind an HG612 using its WAN port. I have not tried running it on its own yet. I just wonder if that could be anything to do with the issue. How many other 8924 users run it as the only device?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:16:41 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »

Hi

Yes beginning to wonder if it is defective, perhaps a memory issue.  I had a router once that wouldn't save any of its configuration settings, worked fine, but as soon as it was rebooted everything was lost.

I've changed the admin port back to port 80, I had changed it to 8080 because I'd opened port 80 to the outside world.  The router does state the Web UI would be changed to port 8080 on adding a port forward for 80, only it never change (another bug), hence I did it manually.  However as I've not opened the Web UI to the WAN, it doesn't need to be 8080 internally, and I thought perhaps the box might be crashing on parsing the Url as they never tested it with seeing :8080 in the Request  Url.

I'm not running the box as a single box solution yet, just as well given the number of times it has crashed, so it is running behind a HG612.

Edit:  After changing the port back to port 80, and visiting a few pages in the Web GUI, it rebooted again!  Going to send it back.

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:55:04 AM by PhilipD »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

Hi

Seems to be getting worse, it's been 6 hours of up time, and I haven't logged into the UI during that time, but just logged in to get myself a config backup to use on the new one, and arrived on the Web UI home page, and it immediately crashed and rebooted before I had chance to do anything.  This one has to be faulty.

It pattern is emerging where after a reboot it is fairly stable for a few hours at most, then after that it is pretty likely doing anything in the Web UI will reboot it.

I'll update everyone on Monday on how the replacement goes.

Regards

Phil

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14