Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed  (Read 85879 times)

stuker

Re: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »

yuo thanks.  ive already alerted the seller as to my suspicions re the hardware fault and told them i am speaking to support about it as i do want to get it resolved if i can.  it was pretty cheap after all! :)  if support dont want to fix it then ill send it back to the seller.   They have a 100 percent reputation and loads of sales on ebay so i dont think it will be an issue.

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »

Think I remember reading that the 8924 5ghz would only work when the 2.4ghz was disabled in certain builds  which was  noted in one of the beta firmware  change log notes?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »

Well I've just heard from ZyXEL about my hang issue which still happens on 10C0 and they want me to RMA it. Good job I have other routers I can use or I'd be stuffed. Will probably put the TT HG635 back in and run that, as it has 5ghz wi-fi and does not suffer from the hangs. Not sure why they think my 8924 is faulty they are not saying anything except RMA it so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

stuker

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »

i spoke to the person i bought the router off on ebay and they have told me that they have another one i can try which is fully working....they are sending it to me so ill give that one a whirl.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »

Just had the hang again on my 8924 with DSLStats not being able to login. So I thought I'd try putty with SSH and guess what I was able to login OK, and then DSLStats was able to login again using telnet and continue gathering stats. So now I am wondering if this could be something to do with DSLStats not logging out correctly maybe? Using SSH I use the same user/password which DSLStats uses. I wonder? The web gui is working again as well.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

You may be on to something about the Zyxel 'hangs'

Practically every time I log in to do config changes then DSLstats will report something like

17 Jun 2015 12:52:46   Timeout while collecting system uptime
17 Jun 2015 12:52:46   Telnet timeout
17 Jun 2015 13:02:47   Timeout while collecting system uptime
17 Jun 2015 13:02:47   Telnet timeout
17 Jun 2015 13:30:46   Timeout while collecting pbParams data
17 Jun 2015 13:30:46   Telnet timeout

It certainly doesnt appear to like it when more than one login is attempted.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2015, 10:31:55 PM »

Eric is going to add some more checks on logout in DSLStats which might show if that has any problem logging out. Earlier today I was trying to telnet into the router manually and it rejected it because there was already an active session so it shows it only allows a single telnet session because I had not input the user so it was not rejecting the user but any telnet session.

Stuart
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:34:33 PM by broadstairs »

stuker

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »

hi All

update on my 5G issue with this router.  I got another unit from the ebay vendor.  upon booting the new unit the 5g WLAN SSID is  now visible so the issue i was having  was definitely hardware related and the original unit is faulty.  5G Wifi working fine now!

thanks
Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »

Glad you got it sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »

I have done a test on telnet with this router. I had to turn the house power off yesterday to do some re-wiring and so once all was back on again I tried to telnet into the router while DSLStats was sampling and sure enough it failed. I did this just in case my previous test was skewed by the problem I had with the hang, so after a clean power up it shows that this router only allows a single telnet session at any one time. Now I will install Eric's latest update to see if it shows any telnet problems as he has added extra tests in the logout process to ensure a clean logout.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »

I now have Eric's test version of DSLStats running which might shed some light n this telnet issue. I noted on the DSLStats thread Kitz mentioned a timeout, well I see that usually on start up of DSLStats and in my case I know there is nothing going on via the GUI at the time I see these messages
Code: [Select]
21 Jun 2015 19:53:43 IP address is now xxxxxxxxx
21 Jun 2015 20:06:42 Timeout while collecting vendor data
21 Jun 2015 20:06:42 Telnet timeout

As yet I've seen nothing to indicate there has been any logout failure on telnet. I will contact ZyXEL and tell them what I am doing, explain my findings about SSH  and ask if they can increase the number of telnet sessions allowed.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »

I'd already responded to your pm before seeing this... But just so others are aware...  Last time I requested this, they said they would look at a workaround, but this was a while ago so perhaps needs bringing up again.
-----

stuker

« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »

hi again all

what is the general experience when dealing with Zyxel support?  I have been in communication with their first line support regarding the issue with wifi i have discussed in this thread.  Whilst the response form first line has been forthcoming it hasn't always been useful or timely.  Has anyone managed to get past first line and deal with lower level support teams?  If so, what has this been like.  Has anyone actually had any hardware repaired by Zyxel in the UK?  The person i bough the router off has kindly allowed me to keep the original faulty unit in addition to the new one that is fully functional. The original unit is fine apart from the dodgy 5g radio and I was hoping to get the 5g hardware repaired and use it as a 5g AP in another room

thanks
Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2015, 07:59:04 PM »

So far I've only raised a ticket via their website and responded to their email but it has been slow and not very helpful. Kitz suggested I call them which I will do maybe tomorrow. They did suggest I RMA the router I have but not sure any replacement would fix the issue I have so will try to progress via telephone.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »

Ive used their ticket system once and it wasn't blistering fast, but they did respond within a day.   Ive used their telephone service a few times,  usually have to hold for about 10mins and if they cant assist there and then they call back.

As regard to reporting bugs, Ive found them quite responsive although perhaps not as quick as TPlink when it comes to realising updated f/w (they usually send a beta through quite soon before general release).   They seems to be sticking a bit in the mud though about my request to increase telnet sessions :(

Has anyone actually had any hardware repaired by Zyxel in the UK?

No sorry - not had to RMA anything and  my contacting them has always been around f/w issues.
-----
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

anything