Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed  (Read 85545 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »

I managed to pick up a pretty much new VMG8924-B10A off eBay this week at a reasonable price and have just installed it currently in series with my HG612, if all goes well I might try it on its own in a week or so. I decided to flash it with the latest firmware showing as 1.00(AAKL.7) on the status screen. I have had no issues with it during setup so will see how it behaves. I decided to go for this because I like the 5G wi-fi which seems better round the house and all but one device I have is 5G capable, I also like the ability to turn off the LEDs on a timer since it has to be situated in a bedroom (master socket in in storage space behind bed!).

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: New ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Installed
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »

Since I installed this router I have been having quite a lot of problems with CRCs and ESs on my line but I did not think that changing the outer behind the HG612 would make that sort of difference. How likely is it that my new VMG8924-B10A is causing the problems or is it far more likely that I have some real noise issues on my line and it just happens to be co-incidental that it started around the same time. The problems dont happen all day and can vary the time of day so it is not continuous.

Stuart

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »

Maybe Try 1.00(AAKL.6)b1  ?

Kitz noted the 6b1 has been stable.

FWIW. I'm using Current Firmware Version: 1.00(AAKL.6)b1

I did have a brief stint with 6b2 (iirc) which was when they changed the max telnet sessions and I had a couple of lock ups because I use both dslstats and hg612 modem stats.  I rolled back to 6b1 and since then Ive been continually up without any problems.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »

The Zyxel proved very bad for CRC and ES on my line but others have had no or smaller issues.  I had 3 times more ES than a HG612.   A swap back to an HG612 should let you decide whether it is the Zyxel. 

Edit.  This comment is for a Zyxel on its own, if it behind a HG612 it should not have any impact on errors at all.

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »

Did find the 63168 can be a little more sensitive than the 6368 38(k)onwards for some reason.

Was certainly noticable with our cisco units.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:14:24 PM by HighBeta »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »

in addition eric seemed to have issues after switching from a billion 8800nl to the zyxel, on my line the zyxel has the worst error rate out of the 3.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:41 PM »

I have been having quite a lot of problems with CRCs and ESs on my line but I did not think that changing the outer behind the HG612 would make that sort of difference.

How can a router behind the HG612 cause the HG612 to report more CRCs and E/S?   It's still the HG612 that is performing handling of the line because that's what contains the modem.   The only possible thing I can think of is that the PSU is faulty and generating noise, but even then you'd expect it to be continuous and not spikey.

------------

I may sound defensive of the Zyxel, and I appreciate that it didnt perform as well on les's line... and a handful of users such as chrys did see slighly more errors and eric saw more, but his line was performing oddly anyhow prior to that.

The fact is that the Zyxel does perform better on many lines, even noisy ones such as Ronski's..  and on my own line it performs much better than the HG612.   

I fully appreciate that there are differences between the 6368 and 63168 based routers, but that does appear to be down to the chipset.   As I keep saying it all depends on the type of noise your line experiences and we still dont know how g.inp fits in there.   At the end of the day it's always been that some chipsets  work better on some lines than on others and I still feel that the BCMs be they 6368 or 63168 perform better than some of the other chipsets.     Even then you get the odd line thrown into the mix that may perform better on a lantiq.     I dont diss lantiqs which perform quite poorly on my line, nor do I diss the HG612 which cant sync at 80/20 when the Zyxel performs happily and rock steady with some to spare.  The vast majority of people with Zyxels seem to see better results.   I'm not paid by anyone to say that..  I just use the Zyxel pure and simple because it works far the best on my line.

I think we just have to accept that its a case of suck it and see as to which performs best for you.

/off to bed as Im very tired and when Im as tired as I am... I tend to get ratty. g'nite. :)
ps no rattyness aimed at anyone especially broadstairs in case it looked like I was being having quoted his post..  that was just to clarify the behind aspect.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:02:49 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »

Thanks Kitz for confirming what I thought but it's nice to know I'm correct. I could change the PSU for the VMG8324 one I guess as they may well be the same. I'll also dig out my radio scanner and see if I can hear anything, the landline seems OK (ie no noise). I was a bit miffed that some folks did not spot what I said about the HG612 still being in place though.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »

You should not be miffed about folk not spotting The Xyxel was behind the HG612.  Your initial post says that you would try the Xyxel on its in weeks time and the second post nearly a week later did not repeat that HG612 was in front.  I read your posts carefully but simply, as the Xyxel behind the HG612 should not make any difference, I assumed you had changed to having it on its own.  I also commented that if you had not got it on its own, it should make no difference.

I am sure others assumed the same. The I think the PSU is normal 12v one and should be swap-able with another.  If that makes no difference you could try try the Xyxel on its own, it may work well for you.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:21:10 AM by les-70 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »

Still running with the HG612 and today so far my noise has gone away, the past days when it happened my ES per hour had gone through the roof by between 7 and 8 AM calming down around 5 to 6 PM, overnight it went back to more usual levels. I have not swapped the PSU for the ZyXEL as I dont believe it is the problem as it all seems OK now. The errors causing the ES increase was almost exclusively CRCs which could get into the high hundreds a minute! There did not seem to be anything new around outside to cause the issue, no new neighbours or new things springing up so its all a tad strange.

Stuart

danivtec

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »

Have you tried port forwarding yet? Having trouble knowing what to put in the WAN IP box as I have a dynamic IP address.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:51:25 PM »

Strange but my increasin CRCs have returned again this weekend with it peaking at around 800/minute in the past hour and my ES rising as a consequence. Be interesting to see if this all goes away by Monday again. I have no idea why as noting in the locality seems to have changed, only thing is it is wet and windy again!

Stuart

PS. No not tried port forwarding again yet.

clonc

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:18 PM »

I have a problem with my ZyXEL VMG8924 B10A:using together 2.4Ghz (Dell Precision M4700) and 5Ghz (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) the router after few minutes reboots.

It doesn't happen using only 5 Ghz only, or 5 Ghz and a pc connected to the switch.

No explanation from Italian tech support.....

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:39:11 AM »

I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz enabled, most of my devices use 5ghz but a couple of printers and one tablet are 2.4ghz. So far I have had no reboots of the router at all for any reason since installing it. What firmware version is your router using? Mine is using the latest available.

Stuart

clonc

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:27 AM »

The latest 7C0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

anything