Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: samknows boxes  (Read 10170 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: samknows boxes
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »

Any idea how long it takes to get a reply from them after registering your interest?

I've never had a reply...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »

I just looked back when I first applied.

It seems like it was very quick to get to the step with a website-based "performance check" (perhaps this was part of the initial application; I can't remember), then 3 weeks to hear anything about being selected, then a week to get the box.

But I think that was during a period where they were actively looking for people.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

Hi

Yes, that was and is the reason for samknows testing, and funded under the European Commission.

I think they only reply if you have been selected to be part of trial, and thought this was displayed when you apply.

Many thanks

John

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »

I applied online, and then about three weeks later (by which time I forgot I'd applied) I had an email asking me to confirm the terms and conditions.

The box then arrived two days later from Broadbandbuyer.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »

Yes, that was and is the reason for samknows testing, and funded under the European Commission.

Was that a reply to me?

I know the point of the whitebox is for long-term testing. What I meant was that they appeared to pre-qualify me by getting me to run some performance tests using my PC browser and their website.

However, I can't recall if that was part of the original application, or if it happened as a second stage.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »

Hi wwwombat

Yes, I was just clarifying what it was for others

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »

and that is the need to accommodate yet another piece of equipment and its concomitant power supply.

I was one of the first 200 selected when they were asking for volunteers in early 2008 and my box was on for many years.  I can't recall the first phase being EC funded, I could be wrong but I think that may have come later.  I cant recall any pre-selection tests for phase 1, and as far as I can recall selection was based on sync speed, product type and ISP to make sure there was a fair mix of users representing the products available at the time.   

I stopped using mine just before I got fttc & change of ISP. The added box (the original blue black linksys wrt somethings) was one of the reasons.  I hate clutter and cables so adding a fttc modem into the mix and I'd decided it was time to do a rethink get rid of surplus switches, modems routers etc.. because it had all become cable hell.

----
ETA pic of my "sambox"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:43:06 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

carlmagic

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »

Ah cool thanks for the replies, ive signed up but i wont hold my breath waiting then  :lol:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 08:35:09 AM »

kitz my box is stuffed under a cabinet out of sight.

You would hate my setup :)

billion 8800nl (modem mode) -> asus ac66 (gateway) -> dlink dir615 (router acting as dumb switch) -> samnows box

idb

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »

Ah cool thanks for the replies, ive signed up but i wont hold my breath waiting then  :lol:
I got an email from Sam the other day (to say that they have started monitoring the performance to a number of streaming sites) and it included the following...

If you know anyone who would be interested in joining this study by
volunteering to host a SamKnows Whitebox please ask them to apply
here -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?SamKnows/7150f02638/9a38719703/f5ee7b5e36 .

They are obviously still looking for new participants so it might be worth re-applying

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »

kitz my box is stuffed under a cabinet out of sight.

You would hate my setup :)

billion 8800nl (modem mode) -> asus ac66 (gateway) -> dlink dir615 (router acting as dumb switch) -> samnows box

At one time I used to have sambox -> modem/router -> GbE network switch  and also another router used to extend wifi range. 

Back then I used to have the sambox hidden under the desk so I never saw it, but I have built in units now and mostly because I only have 2 permanent devices attached via ethernet (the PC and NAS) I just wanted to get rid of the clutter and free up some plug sockets.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »

If you know anyone who would be interested in joining this study by
volunteering to host a SamKnows Whitebox please ask them to apply
here -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?SamKnows/7150f02638/9a38719703/f5ee7b5e36 .

They are obviously still looking for new participants so it might be worth re-applying

Thanks for sharing idb. :)
-----

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »

hmm now says there's already a user with my email. Wonder if that means I've been progressed through the system.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything