Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ASDL2+ From Street Cabinets !  (Read 5794 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
ASDL2+ From Street Cabinets !
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »

Anyone heard about doing this:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6654-asdl2-from-street-cabinets-to-solve-2-mbps-usc.html
12M Down and 1.5 Up would do me  ;D .
I have ask my isp about it . :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ASDL2+ From Street Cabinets !
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »

Yep, there was at least one thread on here about it last year. 

We also had a discussion about how it would affect crosstalk and what PSD masks and PBO would be put in place depending upon the different 'E' side cab lengths.  Obviously the further the cab is from the exchange then the more PBO has to be applied to protect existing adsl2+ lines.

So why cant BT just make all adsl2+ lines GEA adsl2+ and make things better for all?   Well because they have to consider LLU lines so it would be pointless.  :( 

But BT are already on the ball with this and iirc its all laid out in one of their SIN's.   I'm waaaaay too tired to go searching for links (plus Im on the ipad which doesn't do them well anyhow) but there's a specific section in SIN498 for GEA ADSL2+ that covers it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:01:13 AM »

:-[ I blame my chest infection I've got   :blush:.   is it this one ?
 http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14518.msg271364#msg271364
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:33:28 AM »

(b*cat nods.)  Yes, that's the one.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:51:36 PM »

We also had a discussion about how it would affect crosstalk and what PSD masks and PBO would be put in place depending upon the different 'E' side cab lengths.  Obviously the further the cab is from the exchange then the more PBO has to be applied to protect existing adsl2+ lines.

I remember looking at the SIN, and the line profiles it suggested using for different test cases. If you assume that the line profiles used in the test give a hint at the expected outcome, then (IIRC) I think that the middle-E-side-distance cabs got worse performance out of the PSD masks than either the short-E-side cabs or the long-E-side cabs.

The trick is that the power has to be backed off more for longer E-sides, but for a smaller segment of the spectrum.

I have ask my isp about it . :o

Pretty much everything written about the concept comes from the SIN - which only includes test specifications for modems. There has been no public hint whatsoever of a product that makes use of such modems. anyone you could take to at an ISP would know nothing.

It might make sense as a product, but only as a way for BT to meet some of their USC commitments in the BDUK contracts. That would, perhaps, limit it to maybe 2%of premises.

I could equally imagine that vectored VDSL2 could be an alternative, though some people think it is only worthwhile up to 1km.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:03:47 AM »

I forgot that other post was the same thing  :blush:
I did get a reply from my isp and yes you are corect they can not find anything about the product.
I did find this, read the 'Note' update.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/10/bt-openreach-extends-uk-reach-adsl2-broadband-services.html#comment-153166

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 07:08:09 AM »

I would think long range vdsl be better, there is a long range variant of vdsl now.  The prime reason long range FTTC doesnt work that well is the power cutback.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 07:10:20 AM »

So why cant BT just make all adsl2+ lines GEA adsl2+ and make things better for all?   Well because they have to consider LLU lines so it would be pointless.  :( 

But BT are already on the ball with this and iirc its all laid out in one of their SIN's.   I'm waaaaay too tired to go searching for links (plus Im on the ipad which doesn't do them well anyhow) but there's a specific section in SIN498 for GEA ADSL2+ that covers it.

Yeah LLU is definitely holding things back now, no doubt about it.  Ofcom however are still obsessed with LLU so I dont think its going away anytime soon :(

There is also a possible cost issue, as new capacity would likely need adding to cabinets to cater for all the adsl users, however I say possible as apparantly these cards are not that expensive and they would save money on faults since shorter adsl loops will have less faults.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

Yeah LLU is definitely holding things back now, no doubt about it.  Ofcom however are still obsessed with LLU so I dont think its going away anytime soon

I fear you may be correct.. its not just adsl2+ from the street cabs, but the LLU providers putting pressure on OFCOM to make BT give access from the cabs (rather than exchange) has also given BT considerable amounts of re-thinks and delays re vectoring.   BT is in an unusual situation in that they are made to give access to parts of their network.  Yet this doesnt happen in other countries...  or even with the likes of Virgin network or any other Telco in the UK.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »

its interesting I read a pdf from EE's CEO, the guy comes from holland, and he said when he joined the mobile networks in the UK were near obsolete, and under invested, he considered a prime reason the regulation pressures.  Of course a few years on EE has moved forward under his leadership, but thought I would mention it as probably related.

Ofcom does keep the prices low, UK broadband is one of the cheapest in the world, but it also stifles investment, so definitely a give and take.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »

So true:
Mind you it's the customers as well endless swapping for the lowest price at all costs.
A £1.50pm rise in Plusnet's fees was good for 25 pages of outrage between their forums and TBB.

Pointing out as you say that BB charges in the UK are low and suggesting the complainer moves to the USA to see how the rest really charge usually does not get a favourable reaction.

However its seems change is in the winds.
the EU has been making 'noises' recently that consolidation and some exclusivity to enable prices to the support the investment needed.
So expect more mergers - and less competition choice in the future.