Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are cabs connected to a standard power grid/substation?  (Read 2787 times)

DeadMan

Are cabs connected to a standard power grid/substation?
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »

We just had a power cut in our street. Noticed my sync speed is back at full speed (I know it won't last it never does). I'm just curious as to whether they get their power from the same source as our street or powered separately. Maybe I've just answered my own question.

EDIT: Hmm. My stats are looking rather odd after that power cut. Also a speedtest.net results in 'slower' speeds than I was getting before. My max download speed is around 62mbits whilst my upload is 16.5-7 according to the Ealing server. Could this be because everyone is now running at full wack on the cab and saturating the crosstalk? Or is it something to do with my sudden low SNR of 2.5?

I am somewhat bemused.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:24:46 PM by DeadMan »

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Are cabs connected to a standard power grid/substation?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:36 PM »

Cabinets have a battery backup :)

Probably your strange stats are because all vdsl modems connecting at the same time after power was restored.

Thats my 2p.

Ian

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »

I think if the DLM at the cab goes offline due to power outage and when it comes back on it will feel like you have had a DLM reset but the history of you line does not get cleared and it won't be to long before your back to square one.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »

DLM isnt hosted at the cabinet.

The reason for the low snrm now is the crosstalk is back after everyone recconected but the modem has maintained the 80meg sync and is hanging on :)

The bad news is 147 ES in under an hour, if you dont want to be DLM'd to the stoneage then recconect it back at a normal snrm.

DeadMan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »

thanks. I am back at 6.3 on DS SNR. Speedtest results are very close to the same as before manual reconnect so no loss really. Interesting to know the DLM is set elsewhere.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »

if you dont want to be DLM'd to the stoneage then recconect it back at a normal snrm.

What is a normal SNRm Chry ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »

for me its close to the target which is 6db on FTTC.

Or another way of looking at is high enough to not have excessive ES, which 2.5db wasnt.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »

As Chrysalis said, it is likely down to the way the modems re-synced after the power outage. Your modem, like all others, will have measured the noise environment before any other modems were synchronised. They'd see a high signal, low noise environment devoid of crosstalk.

( A downside of giving everyone the same brand/firmware of modem - nearly - they all restart the sync process with identical timing)

Having detected low noise, the modems would probably all sync at an unnaturally high speed at first, but then they'd all be subject to high crosstalk noise immediately. Some would survive, like yours. Some would lose sync, and re-sync at a more appropriate speed.

Those who survive would now be operating at a low SNRM level, and be incurring high error rates (an SNRM of 2.5dB with an ES level of 148 in 47 minutes qualify as that).

The high error rate would have 2 impacts:
- in ongoing use, you'd find a small amount of packet loss. Something measuring speed tests might well encounter packet loss, which would cause TCP to regulate speed, so slower transfer speeds get measured.
- longer term, DLM intervention might be triggered overnight.

The DLM intervention is not a given, as the power loss event might well be visible amongst the stats to allow it to be recognised as a wide area event.

DeadMan

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 01:22:03 AM »

What is annoying is that my attainable rate has dropped by 10mbit since I last checked a month or so ago.

anything