Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Router Re-Syncs coincide with increase in noise margin

(1/2) > >>

Simon:
Hi all,

This thread is kind of a follow on to my previous one from a few days ago re: low IP profile and line speed. That issue now appears to be resolved, have steady line rate of 8128 and downloads of 4.9MB according to Speedtest.net.

My concern (not a real problem at the moment) is that my Voyager 2110 router is still re-sync'ing on a regular basis - several times a day. When it does this it ALWAYS comes back with a line speed of 8128 and a noise margin of anywhere between 9 and 11. Graphs attached show relevant noise margins at point of re-sync. I've disconnected my Sky boxes so my config now is filter into master socket, router on ADSL side, extension lead going to phone on other side - that's all. Seems kinda weird that I get a slight increase at/or about the time of the re-sync.

I'm not aware of any activity going on in the house re: electrical equipment that isn't happening all day long i.e. heating, hoovers, lights etc..

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Simon

[attachment deleted by admin]

Simon:
Some additional info that I forgot to put in the original post.

After the last re-sync this afternoon the line type changed from T1.413 to G.DMT - not sure if this has any significance.

Simon

roseway:
I guess that from time to time there must be a short burst of interference that doesn't appear in the routerstats graph because it only lasts a second or two. This is the sort of thing which you could get from a dodgy central heating thermostat (for example), so that's where my suspicion lies.

Sorry but I don't know anything about T1.413, but I rather think that this a question of how the router is connecting rather than an actual change in the line protocol.

Simon:
Eric,

Is the increase in noise margin - as per the graphs - the 'short burst of interference' that you describe? if so then when it re-syncs at night there is no heating on, no lights, no nothing!!

I basically can't pin down any electrical event that only happens 2-3 times in 24 hrs that doesn't happen far more often e.g thermostat, lights etc.

Cheers
Simon

roseway:
A burst of interference would reduce the noise margin, not increase it. What's possibly happening is that a burst of interference is causing a re-sync, after which the router reports a slightly different noise margin because the connection has been made slightly differently. (Each time the router connects, it attempts to optimise the connection by allocating more or fewer bits to each of the frequency bins, and the reported noise margin is just a weighted average.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version