Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cable stolen ....  (Read 2805 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Cable stolen ....
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »

Happened on Jan 27th but only just fed down to me ...... just in case any of our readership north-of-the-border saw anything ??

Engineers have been working around the clock to restore service to telephone and broadband customers as cable thieves stole critical network cables from a telephone exchange in Larkhall, South Lanarkshire.
Thieves dressed to look like workmen gained forced entry into the site and cut over 50 live cables sometime between 15.30hrs on Tuesday 27 January and 06.30hrs the following morning. Openreach security are currently working with the Police to identify the people responsible for this crime.
Bernie Auguste Head of Openreach Security said “thanks to the hard work of our operational teams, telephone and broadband services to our customers within the surrounding area are being restored. Help us to bring these people to justice - if you were working in or around Larkhall exchange and you saw anything suspicious, please let us know by contacting BT Security on 0800 321999”.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Cable stolen ....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »

you could pass back up the chain that running a very high voltage down the cable (something in the 100-500kv range) might deter thieves :P

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »

you could pass back up the chain that running a very high voltage down the cable (something in the 100-500kv range) might deter thieves :P

Hmm . . .  ::)

What I find interesting in the quoted announcement is . . . cut over 50 live cables sometime between 15.30hrs on Tuesday 27 January and 06.30hrs the following morning. As those cables were "live", i.e. in use, I would have thought that their severing could have been timed and dated to the nearest second.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »

I would hazard a guess the quoted times (1530-0630) are the total time it took to cut and recover all 50 cables over that time period ??

I can't imagine there were 50 teams of two-man gangs sat waiting with their cable shears for the gang leader to shout, "After 3 lads ... 1 ... 2 ...."
Also, I think the security team would lose their audience, if they were to put into print the exact time each and every cable was cut.

;) ;D

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »

We had a Sh*t tonne of copper stolen here a few years back, took 2 months for BT to replay and reconnection everyone. Luckily I wasn't affected  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 03:26:49 AM »

I would hazard a guess the quoted times (1530-0630) are the total time it took to cut and recover all 50 cables over that time period ??

Thinking about it some more, the word sometime in the announcement is the source of the ambiguity.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.