Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UPS and dsl line question.  (Read 9480 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: UPS and dsl line question.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 06:46:09 PM »

I noticed when I did have the UPS working the voltage did go up and down quite a bit. Up 1, down 2, up 1 etc.. all the time.

When I eventually get the UPS back (well a UK one) ill be monitoring it.

It is possible that I can't improve the condition of the line as it is about 850m in length, so its possible interference is coming down there. But I'll be observing it. At the moment I'm getting between 20 and 30 ES's a day. Which is reasonable. But apart from the trickle of 1's.. I'm trying to cut down on the bursts. Anyways time will tell :)

Thanks for the information Ixel. I hadn't heard of online UPS's before. I'll read your links.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »

Hmm I'll type this in this thread then I'm not spamming the firmware thread;

Hmm.. I could do with flashing the firmware when I do this UPS thing. Only trouble is I've never done it before, the way thats suggested anyways.

On the instructions at number 3 it says 'Configure the ethernet nic of your pc with ip address 192.168.1.100 .. I'm assuming this is like setting a static ip on the pc. Also why does it need to be set to that particular ip?

I know this is a very simple noob question but how exactly does one power down the hg612? there isnt a power button. Does it mean to just unclip the power cable from it (or unplug from the mains)?

My current hg612 is:

Software version    V100R001C01B028SP10
Firmware version    A2pv6C035m.d22g

So if I use this file: bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui

Then I should be good to go?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »

Hmm I'll type this in this thread then I'm not spamming the firmware thread;

Hmm.. I could do with flashing the firmware when I do this UPS thing. Only trouble is I've never done it before, the way thats suggested anyways.

On the instructions at number 3 it says 'Configure the ethernet nic of your pc with ip address 192.168.1.100 .. I'm assuming this is like setting a static ip on the pc. Also why does it need to be set to that particular ip?

yes it's setting a static IP. And it doesn't need to be that IP, it just needs to be in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet and can't be 192.168.1.1. Rather than try to explain that, the author chose an IP and tells you to use it in order to keep the instructions simple.

I know this is a very simple noob question but how exactly does one power down the hg612? there isnt a power button. Does it mean to just unclip the power cable from it (or unplug from the mains)?

Yes. It's also recommended to unplug the dsl cable from the modem after powering it off, and keep the dsl unplugged until you've confirmed that the flash was completed successfully, in order to avoid offending the DLM system.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 10:04:55 PM »

Ahhh yes, I understand.

Thanks mate :)

Technology can be like a magician, confusing until its explained! lol

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »

A quick update. Amazon sent out the wrong UPS AGAIN  >:(

I'm sending it back on monday, and going to order it from LambdaTek, a company the cyberpower representative suggested.

Amazon seem really slow at updating their systems. I know the proper information was sent to them by cyberpower last week, and it does have the UK part code on the page. But yet they send out the EU version.. grrr :p

I'm waiting on it to arrive so I can move around all my stuff so I only need to disconnect from the net 1 time.

Anyways, I'll keep ya all posted :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 02:08:51 AM »

A quick update. Amazon sent out the wrong UPS AGAIN  >:(

:doh:  D'oh!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 03:22:57 AM »

why would Amazon UK even stock the EU part, it's not much use here since none of the plugs fit?
Pages: 1 [2]