Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ADSL DSLAM  (Read 9543 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
ADSL DSLAM
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »

1.How many EU (customers) would be on one DSLAM card in the exchange and could they be from the same geographical area ?.

2. Would the DSLAM recognise those EU by the modem Mac address ?.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:01:09 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL DSLAM
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:49:09 PM »

In my opinion:

1a) Unknown. There may be significant differences, dependent upon Manufacturer.
1b) Entirely possible. (Geological? Perhaps geographical.  :)  )
2)  Highly unlikely. Probably a "no".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:23:16 PM »

1(b)   I left BT before ADSL really took off, but exchange switching and transmission equipment was allocated on a random basis as new lines were provided, with no reference to locality. I can't think of any reason why DSLAMs should be any different.

That being the case, obviously the chances are that some of the EUs in a particular area will be on the same DSLAM, purely because it's a random distribution.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:39:21 PM »

Depends on the type of equipment, and as 4candles/B*Cat allude to .... the percentage chance ?

Fujitsu 1st Generation  - 2 ports per card
Fuji 2nd Gen - 31 ports per card

Alcatel 1st gen - 4 ports per card
Alcatel high-density - 12 ports per card
Alcatel ultra-density - 24 ports per card

Marconi - 32 ports

If a 'lift and shift' is carried out on an ADSL circuit in the Exchange, there's a very high probability the circuit will be moved to a completely different DSLAM.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »

This is my one    DSLAM/MSAN type:   IFTN:0x70c8 / v0x70c8
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »

IFTN:0x70c8 / v0x70c8

Infineon chipset.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:19:25 PM »

Is that now Lantiq?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:19 PM »

Yes. When checking the Lantiq Wikipedia page I now see --

Feb 2, 2015, it was announced that Intel agreed to buy the German network chipmaker for an undisclosed amount to expand its range of chips used in connected Internet-of-Things gadgets and IoT gateways.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »

You may wonder why I'm asking about this, well I'm trying to understand why Two Hg612, one a Mark 2B and my latest one a mark 3B. one works ok 2B  :), but the other one 3B seems to want to connect like it did in the house across the lane from my house (the people have left and the builder was going to put the modem in the skip that was untill I had a word with him  ;))

I was thinking if that modem was connected to the same DSLAM card as the one I'm on maybe It's Mac address is being remembered and connecting like it use to when it was used with a Home Hub (which I do not use ).

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14985.0

My plan is to change the Modems Mac address's     https://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/?s=telnet++mac+address

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 11:30:27 PM »

My 2p

1a) Depends entirely on the DSLAM/MSAN.  BS has already quoted some but theres more info on the DSLAMs/MSANs on this page .   
Note that even the same equipment can have different line cards .  eg iirc the latest Marconi can also have 45/60 ports.  Fujitsu can have LCSS-1 or IV-LCSS cards (64).   The bits that fit into an MSAN is kind of like a PC in that certain parts can be upgraded and mix and matched depending upon requirements.

1b) Depends what you mean by geographical area.   For an MSAN in the exchange, it can be any line served by that exchange.

2. The MSAN/DSLAM has no need to know this info. All the DSLAM is interested in is line conditions & sync.    Its the BTw equipment much further up the line @ the bRAS such as RADIUS that validates logins etc... and even then I cant see any reason why BTw would be interested in Mac address.   
Certain ISP RADIUS servers may also be interested for authentication though ie sky & sky routers.   Login on a BTw based line is a two stage process 1) BT's RADIUS and ISP RADIUS.

IFTN:0x70c8 / v0x70c8

Infineon chipset.

Most likely a Huawei.  If it is then probably a UA5000 with 32 ports.

BT announced that it will be using Fujitsu GeoStream kit for 21CN, but there are also some Huawei MSANs.

Read more: http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/telephone_exchange.htm#ixzz3Qotz2yRG
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »

I was thinking if that modem was connected to the same DSLAM card as the one I'm on maybe It's Mac address is being remembered and connecting like it use to when it was used with a Home Hub (which I do not use ).

My plan is to change the Modems Mac address's     https://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/?s=telnet++mac+address

Nope.   As mentioned above the DSLAM totally doesnt care about this.

ISP path is selected by something called Service Selection Barring and your line (phone no)  will only be able to connect to the the ISP realm designated on the system.   In the case of migrations there may deliberately be a short time period when ISPs can overlap and you can connect to either as long as one of the said ISPs hasnt already knocked you off their own domain.

Do however check for logins very carefully.   Its possible that the old owners login may still be entered in the router.  So in this case BT would be sending you to the ISP entered in the SSB log and Eclipse RADIUS then saying 'no that login name and password isnt one of ours'.   You'd have sync, but no internet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »

Nope.   As mentioned above the DSLAM totally doesnt care about this.

ISP path is selected by something called Service Selection Barring and your line (phone no)  will only be able to connect to the the ISP realm designated on the system.   In the case of migrations there may deliberately be a short time period when ISPs can overlap and you can connect to either as long as one of the said ISPs hasnt already knocked you off their own domain.

Do however check for logins very carefully.   Its possible that the old owners login may still be entered in the router.  So in this case BT would be sending you to the ISP entered in the SSB log and Eclipse RADIUS then saying 'no that login name and password isnt one of ours'.   You'd have sync, but no internet.
A very interesting 2p  :)

Re."Do however check for logins very carefully.   Its possible that the old owners login may still be entered in the router.  So in this case BT would be sending you to the ISP entered in the SSB log and Eclipse RADIUS then saying 'no that login name and password isnt one of ours'.   You'd have sync, but no internet."

This login details would have come from there Home Hub (the builder gave me this as well  ;) but I'm Not using it .) and would not be in the HG612 modem, from what I have been told BT OR do Not configure them before they fit them.
You have a very good point there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »

* kitz is wondering why previous owner would be using a HG612 and a HomeHub on an adsl1/2+ connection.   :hmm:

Are you sure that the HG612 hasnt got fttc info in it and configured for vdsl...  ie PTM rather than ATM etc.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »

* kitz is wondering why previous owner would be using a HG612 and a HomeHub on an adsl1/2+ connection.   :hmm:

Are you sure that the HG612 hasnt got fttc info in it and configured for vdsl...  ie PTM rather than ATM etc.
It's a HH3 yes it has FTTC connection on the back.
But the house where it came from has been empty before we got FTTC in the village.
I did set up the HH3 (without it being on the internet ) to a test computer and it was configured for ADSL ATM and there login details where in that.

Are you thinking that the HH and the HG612 were not used together ?.
This maybe the case because I have just looked in the box of bits that the builder gave me and there is no RJ45 cable that would be used to connect them both together . :hmm:

Got to find a way to wipe any details that some how maybe still on the modem even though it's been flashed. :'(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:45:41 AM by tickmike »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »

I cant think of any reason why a normal BT user would be using a HG612 with a HH, unless the HG612 was used as an fttc modem. 

Why would they go to the trouble of purchasing a HG612 which are usually only supplied by BT Openreach for vdsl.   OK You can pick them up on the likes of ebay but the people who buy those are buying them in order to unlock and get fttc stats... so that would mean they are techie...  and if they'd done that then they would highly likely have taken the HG612 with them.

If they did have Infinity then BTr may at a later date have supplied them with a new all in one HH5, and in which case it makes sense why they would abandon the HG612 & HH3 leaving them behind.

Something doesnt make sense here that they would be using a HG612 on just adsl.
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything