Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Alternative to dect phones?  (Read 6067 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Alternative to dect phones?
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why I keep getting a burst of ES's, CRC, and HEC errors once a day.

My first suspician is the dect phones we use in the house. I did today double filter it, and thought I'd solved it when at dinner time, when the errors usually appear, they didnt. But it happened after dinner.

Someone was on the phone (dect) and when I looked around a while later the ES's shot up my 10.

I'm reluctant to get rid of the cordless phones as it means I only need to physically connect 1 connection to the phone line, rather than having multiple corded phones.

So does anyone know of a broadband 'safe' cordless phone set?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Alternative to dect phones?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »

The phones themselves are unlikely to interfere with DSL, but it's not uncommon for their power supplies to cause interference. I suggest you try switching off all the satellite charging stations leaving just the base station operating, and if you're lucky this might fix the problem. Then a process of elimination might reveal a single culprit.

It's difficult to recommend a 'safe' cordless phone set because even the cheap and nasty ones aren't all bad. I've personally never had any trouble with Panasonic phones.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why I keep getting a burst of ES's, CRC, and HEC errors once a day.

My first suspician is the dect phones we use in the house. I did today double filter it,

Just to give you and idea how hard and long it is to track down the cause of burst it's now 18 months and 26 days, the list of causes in my house have been narrowed/and fixed but still there are half a dozen left to fix for example my cooker switch throws out 24 CRC when it's flicked to the on position  :( but if your not an electrician or confident DIYer the cookers mains power switch is wearing out and causing arking and modems will pick this up as medium CRC's  ;) 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:30:24 PM by NewtronStar »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »

I agree.. I've tracked a jump of 10 errors and some CRC's to the fluorescent light in the kitchen. Its a pity there isnt an easy way to change them to LED's. But it seems to involve electrical wiring. Luckily we only turn it on once a day.

There is an odd 1 or 2 ES's appearing through-out the day but according to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_calculator.php DLM allows for 72 ES's per 24 hours. So far on day 1 with this hg612 modem I've had 28. I'm currently at 51 on the second day with a few more hours to go. If I hadnt had that big boost of 10 ES's I'd be really low. But 28 seems good so far.

I can't really do much at the moment with the electricity or that would disturb the modem syncing. The joys of broadband life!  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »

I agree.. I've tracked a jump of 10 errors and some CRC's to the fluorescent light in the kitchen. Its a pity there isnt an easy way to change them to LED's.

Indeed have two of them in the covered yard the problem with fluorescent tubes is you wont know which part is at fault (the starter unit or the Tube)  >:(

So to be on the safe side replace the tube and starter unit at the same time and it my not be eather it could be the pull switch in the kitchen.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:28:04 PM by NewtronStar »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »

I'm considering whether to get one of those UPS systems that use "pure sine wave" output. That way it literally takes all house electrics out of the equation. They don't seem that bad, size wise, if I can tuck it out of sight somewhere and have the modem and router plugged in to it.

I'm sure after doing all that I'd still have a few spare ES's floating around knowing my luck lol.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »

Ok I think I've figured out whats shooting up the ES's. Its a neighbour guy using next doors garage to do car work in. Everytime he uses that garage my ES shoots up by 10. I've been watching over a 4 days.

The good news is the house next door is being sold, so the guy won't be able to use the garage anymore for that  ;D

I hope the new neighbours arent mechanics though  :o

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »

Ok I think I've figured out whats shooting up the ES's. Its a neighbour guy using next doors garage to do car work in. Everytime he uses that garage my ES shoots up by 10. I've been watching over a 4 days.

:clap2:  Result!

Was he arc welding in there, perhaps?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »

It's just a theory of mine and relates to why some Broadband users see interference from neighbours premises, if you live in a semi detached house the main eletrical feed will come in and supply both houses and any electical arcing from switches will travel back to your neighbours via this mains supply feed and vice versa.

If you live in a detached house then the mains feed comes in just for that premises and is isolated no neighbour interaction with switches occurs except your own of course  :-\

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:56:03 PM »

@burakkucat - he well could be! :)

He's one of these young lads who is in to cars and I think he fixes his friends cars too. He managed to work out a deal with the previous owner of the next door neighbours garage to use it, as the old guy doesnt use it.. I've noticed everytime he's in there, my error seconds jump up by 10. There is me thinking its having a good day, then boom  :o

@NewtronStar

Thats a good theory. This is semi detached. I used to live in a detached and never had any broadband problems at all. I've wrote to the makers of the UPS people (APC) to ask whats the smallest UPS system with pure sinewave is and I'll buy it.

There was a guy who used to post on thinkbroadband who got one and he said suddenly his errors went and DLM put him back on fastpath. I was going to ask him some questions, wrote out a big notepad post, went to message him only to be told he's not accepting message lol.. its been one of those days :)