Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Problems: DSL Checker says Cab, BTOR Internal says EO.  (Read 3293 times)

mikehiow

FTTC Problems: DSL Checker says Cab, BTOR Internal says EO.
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »

I've run out of ideas on this one.

When I moved in to my property, I established that my line was Exchange Only with the help of BT DSL Checker, however, the building management did say that BT had planned to rectify this in Summer 2014.

Fast forward to the new year, following a lot of BTOR activity near my flats and the nearest PCP, I notice all of a sudden that Fibre is available and the DSL checker now says I'm connected to a cabinet!

Great - I place an order with Plusnet, but the Broadband order was repeatedly cancelled by wholesale because the line is apparently EO.

Plusnet tried ordering it on a brand new line install and gave up, telling me there was no way to ask BT to look at a potential error in the database.

Is there anything I can do? Anyone I can speak to that can rectify it?

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC Problems: DSL Checker says Cab, BTOR Internal says EO.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »

Try a different ISP like http://aa.nu ?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »

Who in Plusnet told you there was no way?

Certainly it isn't easy, so it is likely to be dealt with better if you have someone dedicated in their online support team helping you. The ordinary phone support staff will find this one tricky, and you'll have to keep explaining it over & over again.

My Openreach-database-error story looks like it is coming to an end, with the checkers now reporting the correct cab, and an install booked for tomorrow. But it has taken some work to get there ... as ISP staff have to go through BTW to get Openreach to make any updates.

I did try complaining with an email to the BT Group CEO (no response), then an email to the Openreach high-level complaints team - who did respond, but referred me straight back to the ISP, and said they would send the complaint on to Plusnet. I suspect the complaint did go somewhere internal to Openreach though, as the update to the database happened quite smoothly after that.

Some contacts on this page: http://phonebt.com/bt-complaints/

mikehiow

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »

It was passed between a few 'dedicated' people before ending up with their complaints guy, called Matt.

He was very helpful, but his only solution was to try and order a brand new line, on which the fibre order still failed (as I suspected it would).

What was your database error?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »

The openreach database entry was created (after a survey) with the wrong PCP in it, though they probably believed it was right at the time. The wrong PCP is closer (about 10m away), while the right one is about 100m away.

More explanations in the topic here, but some details were within a semi-related post over here.

By the sounds of it, your best route is probably now with Openreach, the CEO or Chairman (as used by someone commenting on the first thread above), either directly yourself, or with the help of your building management people. Presumably the building management have some records dating from when the work was done - but if not, you should emphasise to BT that your ISP was unable to help.

It is entirely possible that BT are right now - your line is EO - and were wrong to change the database to show fibre is available. If that is the case, then your complaint is really with the building management for not ensuring that Openreach converted all the lines over to the PCP.

mikehiow

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »

Along with other emails, I took a chance and sent it to an email address at OR designated for privately funded NGA enquiries.

I reached the Head of National sales who seems to have people looking in to it - I've even had requests for more information, so hopefully something is happening :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »

That sounds like a promising approach. They sound like the people that the management company would have had to deal with in the first place...

mikehiow

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »

I don't think the management company would have privately funded the move, as they've already signed contracts with Hyperoptic.