Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another slice of Raspberry Pi, anyone?  (Read 10072 times)

idb

• Just arrived
Re: Another slice of Raspberry Pi, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »

Hmm, looks like 12 GBP to sign up as a developer. That's a one-off lifetime payment.
Just signed up to the "Windows Developer Program for IoT" and didn't see any mention of a fee.  Perhaps that come later.

My PiB2 arrived this morning but haven't had much time to play with it.  I ran an Update/Upgrade though and that did seem noticeably more sprightly, as it should I suppose!

FWIW, I've been using a Pi B for monitoring router stats (and central heating temperatures) for the last year or more.  A homebrew solution, that adheres to the KISS principles, is not too difficult to achieve...

On the Pi a Python script, run once a minute as a cron job, accesses the router via telnet, grabs a couple of pages of text, parses the required information out of them and appends the results to a text file in csv format.

On the PC I use the PuTTY ftp client to, when asked, grab this csv file from the Pi and save it.

I've then written an application (using Dolphin Smalltalk) to  display the stats in a graphical format.

All works quite well* and is easily modifiable if I need to monitor an extra stat or two.

Ian

*If anyone knows how to get the IPv4 uptime (as displayed on the routers gui status page) via telnet on a ZyXel VMG 8324 I would be grateful for the details.  It's the one stat I can't find!

carlmagic

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »

Might be worth pointing out but you should not take a picture of your Rpie2 with a Xeon based flash from a camera / like device or be in an area where that is likely to happen without it being in some sort of case as it will cause the PI to power down.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99042

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »

Might be worth pointing out but you should not take a picture of your Rpie2 with a Xeon based flash from a camera / like device or be in an area where that is likely to happen without it being in some sort of case as it will cause the PI to power down.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99042

An interesting quirk of the design/choice of components.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]