Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problems with Fibre speed. Openreach test differing  (Read 4496 times)

davidmaiden18183

Problems with Fibre speed. Openreach test differing
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »

I moved to sky fibre broadband earlier in the month with promised speed of 35mbps and expected minimums of 30mbps, lower than this and I shouldbe able to walk away.

Since going live I have had two weeks of technical support from Sky broadband and two BT Openreach engineer visits.

My speed test results are typically around the 20Mbps mark over wifi, over wired around 27-30, in both cases directly going directly into  a prefiltered master socket. When testing via cable the router is in wireless isolation mode and all others Ethernet cables/devices unplugged to ensure nothing else is taking bandwith.

Now here is where I am totall baffled.

The 2nd Openreach engineer visited yesterday to test the line, no error on the line, however with his laptop (a tough book) he would accieve 26-28Mbps on wireless and 30-33Mbps on wired.

This using the same speedtest I.e. Speedtest.net (Ookla) and sitting side by side running the test on his device then mine straight after/before.

It doesn't matter which of my devices I use, laptop, iPhone, iPad, fiancées ipad; I couldn't get his wired or wireless result (on wired either)

Can anyone explain this! It's as if his laptop was magic compared to my devices. Could this be something related to the router/other hardware. I have so far assumed there is and issue with the line, but with this I don't know.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Problems with Fibre speed. Openreach test differing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »

I can't answer the technical aspect of your question, but I can confirm I've had the same results many times, when testing and demonstrating with an EU.

I'm not clued-up with the hard-ware, but there's many more on here who are. The only point of note I will make is that our works laptops are automatically 'cleaned' on a regular basis. Emptying caches, making sure updates are completed etc etc ....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »

with promised speed of 35mbps and expected minimums of 30mbps, lower than this and I shouldbe able to walk away.

The promised speed they quote is sync speed and not throughput. 

It may be interesting to do a BT Performance Test
Follow the instructions through and complete "Further Diagnostics".    This should give you your IPprofile and from that it should be possible for us to work out what speed you are syncing at. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »

Hi

The difference is due to nic setup, and I would expect the engineers laptops are cloned from a master.

I'm sorry, I cannot think of the technical term as I'm working but if I have time when I'm back, I'll post but it is a result of default values used by windows, which impose a restriction of sorts, slowing the speed.

You can grab a small price of software which will optimise the nic for you from speedguide.net and actually, it will explain the differences.

If you test using helweb test site, your on our systems in the uk.

Many thanks

John

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »

Thanks, I could understand that but it's my of PC, iPad, and iPhone, only the first is subject to windows. So basically if it were mic and I wanted these speed they could achieve I could only do so via the laptop I presume ( and I don't use it)

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »

with promised speed of 35mbps and expected minimums of 30mbps, lower than this and I shouldbe able to walk away.

The promised speed they quote is sync speed and not throughput. 

It may be interesting to do a BT Performance Test
Follow the instructions through and complete "Further Diagnostics".    This should give you your IPprofile and from that it should be possible for us to work out what speed you are syncing at.

Looks like you might be right in that one . However they did stat download speeds.

"
We estimate the download speed your line could support will be between 35.5 and 40.0 Mb

You should expect a Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed of 30.6 Mb

Sky subscribes to Ofcom's Voluntary Code of Practice on Broadband speeds which aims to ensure broadband providers give you all the information you need on speeds and what should happen if your line doesn't achieve those speeds. You can find out more information on what this means for you at sky.com/vcop"

27-30 on wired is the best I have been able to get so not achieving that estimate.i get a drop down of about 7-10 over wifi, not sure if that is typical.

I have done plenty of speedtests on bt's own speedtest on bt  But not yet with the diagnostic part, but much of my figures derive from that my.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:44:48 PM by davidmaiden18183 »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »

Hi

If comparing against ORE testing, you need to keep it the same, ie laptop to laptop, hence presuming your laptop was windows.

Mobiles, tablets etc are devices which are not as powerful or able to process as fast as computers, and these devices are subject to certain conditions which can slow further, for instance, if power hitting a certain %, the wifi may be reduced to conserve power for longer life. Add to that the fact of battery memory, which is set in the first 10 charges/usage of the device when new, and the available power maybe shorter ie charge may hold for a period then drop dramatically   

Kitz is correct in that the router maybe connected at the quoted speeds, but devices behind the router may have slower throughput of speed, but there are too many factors for this, some of the reasons as above, but other factors include  website server loading, network congestion (between your connection and website) network loading etc, so if you check your router for it's connected speed, this is your correct connected speed, not your usable speed, which is fluid, and will fluctuate.

The last point I would like to make is, in reality, for most users the throughput speed is more then adequate for most services, from VoIP, streaming browsing etc, particularly at speeds your posting, and if browsing websites appear slow, it maybe the hosting server under load. Please do not compare website load times though, as some website performance use perception loading sequences, to make people believe it is loading faster.

I hope that helps and sorry if I am causing more confusion, there's more then 1 factor to consider.

Many thanks

John

anything