Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Could my FTTC estimated speed be wrong?  (Read 12102 times)

ip75

Could my FTTC estimated speed be wrong?
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »

Hi all,

This is my first post. I’ve been lurking on here for a while, and I’ve learnt a lot - great site!

I'm hoping for a little advice. I’ve been happy with Sky for ADSL2+ for about a year, and now my cabinet has finally been enabled for FTTC as part of the BDUK scheme. However, I was a little taken aback by the speed estimate from the BT Wholesale checker:

High   Low   High   Low      
FTTC Range A (Clean)   46.1   33.1   10   6.6   --   Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)   39   22.4   10   4.8   --   Available

WBC ADSL 2+   Up to 5   --   3 to 7.5   Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M   Up to 5   Up to 1   3 to 7.5   Available
ADSL Max   Up to 4   --   2.5 to 7   Available
WBC Fixed Rate   2    --   --   Available
Fixed Rate   2    --   --   Available

which to me suggests a fairly long line to the cabinet (7-800m, perhaps?). However, the cabinet I’m connected to is only 200m or so along the road, and I can see by the overhead lines that the route is pretty direct. The line runs 150m overhead to the DP, which is about 50m from the cabinet along a main road. The cable goes underground at that point so technically I don’t know the route it takes, but it seems unlikely it would meander too much.

There are some houses on a small estate right by the cabinet that are served underground, which get a full 80/20 estimate. Those houses also get an “Up to 5” estimate for ADSL2+, so it seems hard to believe that my line is really 7-800m longer. I actually get a stable ADSL sync at 6.5Mbps.

So my question is - is it possible that this estimate is incorrect, and is there any way to check this out prior to ordering the service? I would like to go for an 80/20 service but don’t want to commit to this if I’m really only going to get a maximum of 46Mbps. And yet, with Sky, the minimum term for 40/10 is 18 months, versus 12 months for 80/20, so I don't want to unnecessarily commit to a longer contract if I could really get a faster speed on the shorter contract.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Could my FTTC estimated speed be wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »

Judging by the other estimates for ADSL ..... alongside your VDSL estimate, I would guess that you are not fed via the Cab that's 200mtrs down the road ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »

................. and welcome to the forum.  :)

ip75

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »

Thanks!

I agree that that's what the numbers suggest, but it's definitely that cab. There are only 3 in the village, and this one was the last to be enabled. DSL checker for my address says cabinet 6, and it's got a nice clear 6 stencilled on it, and I've had BT engineers out to a couple of faults in the past who have confirmed it.

My feeling is that this could be a database error, but from what I've read these estimates are usually pretty accurate.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »

Obviously, I'm not doubting your word, but something doesn't add up if that indeed is your Cab ?? It's as you say, unless the cable takes an inane underground route from Cab to DP, those estimates are way out ??

The only other thing that may be a possibility (especially as you make it clear you live in a rural dwelling), is that the Cab you mention is actually a 'Pillar'. We call these SCP's (Secondary Cross-Connection Point), as opposed to a main Cab, which is called a PCP (Primary Cross-Connection Point).

If this is the case, it would suggest the VDSL DSLAM has been located at the PCP, and not the SCP ?? This is only a guess, and you could confirm otherwise by stating whether a new VDSL Cab has been installed near to (within 50mtrs) of your Cab 6 ??

ip75

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Yes, a fibre cabinet has been installed right next to the cabinet, so I guess it can't be an SCP.  It was first installed last summer, and the power was finally connected last Monday.  It went live on the DSL checker yesterday.

I'm glad you think something doesn't add up, because I think that points more towards it being a database error, would you agree? I suspect the best course of action is going to be to order a 40/10 service, and then take a look at the line stats to find out what the real attainable sync would be. I will try to get the database corrected if that does turn out to be the problem, because an artificially low estimate would cause problems if I had a fault in future.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:20:34 PM by ip75 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:31:51 PM »

It's very easy to check if you can order FTTC just go to plusnet https://www.plus.net/
and Check what's available where you live, simple as a raspberry pi  ;D

ip75

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »

Yes, FTTC is definitely available. I was just questioning whether the speed estimate is actually correct.

Edit: plus.net offers me 33mb, which I assume is based on the same data as the BTw checker.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:56:53 PM by ip75 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 08:56:10 PM »

Yes, FTTC is definitely available. I was just questioning whether the speed estimate is actually correct.

The estimate is correct you have a choice 40/10 or 80/20 and your Downstream speed is estimated a 46000 kbps it's up you but i would go for 80/20 unlimited if it were my line as all i can get is 31000kbps  ;) but will always go for a short contract.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:44 PM »

If ip75's line is only 200mtrs from the PCP ....... then those estimates are far from correct. The FTTC estimate has to be based on the 80/20 product, as it gives a 'clean' number of 46.1Meg ?? At 200mtrs, that is ludicrously short of what is capable !!!

As I keep saying, it all depends on what the true value is from the DSLAM.  :)

ip75

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »

I shall sign up for Sky Fibre and report back with stats once it's up and running.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »

If ip75's line is only 200mtrs from the PCP ....... then those estimates are far from correct. The FTTC estimate has to be based on the 80/20 product, as it gives a 'clean' number of 46.1Meg ?? At 200mtrs, that is ludicrously short of what is capable !!!

As I keep saying, it all depends on what the true value is from the DSLAM.  :)

were you not the one who said on these forums that BT OpenReach will not be swayed or dictated to by the (end-user) findings, only the evil empire can help ip75  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »

?? eh ?? Completely lost me there NS ??

The OP in this instance isn't 'dictating' anything, he/she is merely asking if the estimate based on their perception of 'distance to Cab', is realistic ?? I say no, it is not.
Obviously something isn't being reported correctly, be that the 'Guesstimate' from BTw machine, or in-advertent mis-information from the OP ??  :)

ip75

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 09:59:12 PM »

Yes, either the line takes a crazy route underground between the cabinet and the DP (adding at least 500m I reckon), or the estimate is wrong, or there's something else I've missed!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 10:02:41 PM »

?? eh ?? Completely lost me there NS ??

The OP in this instance isn't 'dictating' anything, he/she is merely asking if the estimate based on their perception of 'distance to Cab', is realistic ?? I say no, it is not.
Obviously something isn't being reported correctly, be that the 'Guesstimate' from BTw machine, or in-advertent mis-information from the OP ??  :)

BS it's more than likely the data base is wrong if he/she is 200 meters from the PCP cabinet though their perception of the copper/Ali track could be way off as you know only to well.
Pages: [1] 2 3