Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL / vDSL modem router with 11ac, VPN server and chipset good for noisy line  (Read 2964 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

New router conundrum

I live in the countryside and have an ADSL 2+ on a fairly noisy line about 2km from the exchange :

• Operational Mode   ADSL2+
    Upstream   980
    Downstream   9480
    SNR Margin(Upstream)   5.3
    SNR Margin(Downstream)   2.3
    Line Attenuation(Upstream)   23.6
    Line Attenuation(Downstream)   42.5

I have been through various routers (most recently TP-Link W8980) and have found through experience that they mostly struggle to maintain as stable a connection as my Billion 7800N (good old Broadcom chipset)

I now have a job abroad, working in Africa for 3 weeks at a time.  I have an internet connection and am missing my home comforts so I am considering using a VPN service to access UK webpages and we have also recently bought a number of new wireless devices which support 11ac so I would like to 'upgrade' to a router which can do this stuff.

I need to tread cautiously though, as I want maintain my good stable connection, there is also possibility in the future we will get FTTC and ideally I would like to buy a router which will support this also (although I could probably live with a bridged modem if I have to)

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good ADSL router to fit this spec?

- Broadcom ADSL modem chipset or equivalent sync performance
- 11ac wifi
- VPN server onboard
- gigabit network

It needs to be able handle a relatively large number of simutaneous devices for a home network as we have a lot of geeky stuff at home!  Budget is flexible and I am open to separate router combos because I guess I can just use the 7800N in bridge mode (although its not as tidy)

I am currently looking at the Asus DSL - AC68U but I am sturggling to find what modem chipset it has, to be honest - anyone know?

All the best

Chunks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

The choice of  FTTC modem routers with Wireless AC is rather limited :( 

If you want a BCM chipset then that just leaves you with the VMG8924 which can be rather hard to get hold of.  (I think theres only Kcom that are currently selling these in the UK) 

....or theres also the Billion BiPAC 8800AXL which Im about to add to the list in a few mins.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen

I live in the countryside and have an ADSL 2+ on a fairly noisy line about 2km from the exchange :

With a long noisy line it may be safer to use an unlocked HG612 with a separate router.  However if a combined router/modem purchase meets you local network needs then the HG612 could just be a fall back configuration in case the modem in the router does not perform as well an HG612

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

The more I think about it the more I agree I need to go for separate modem / router combo.  The Billion 7800N has been so good connection wise, do you think there is a modem out there which will perform better performer on ADSL?

I am thinking to go for the RT-AC68U with Billion 7800N in bridge mode with it and then buy a vDSL modem when the need arises.

Cheers

Chunks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:35:11 AM by Chunkers »

les-70

• Kitizen

I have no experience of a 7800N but I believe that they well thought of.    I suspect that an HG612 will simply be similar on adsl.  If you get one on ebay and are not in rush to make the purchase then you can bid low and loose and hopefully end up with a good price.

anything