Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats - HG612_Stats.Exe High CPU Utilisation  (Read 3293 times)

Korben_dallas

HG612 Modem Stats - HG612_Stats.Exe High CPU Utilisation
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »

Hi,

I have been running the modem stats program for sometime on my Windows 8.1 64bit P.c, however I recently built a new pc still running 8.1 64bit and at first all seemed good.

but now it seems that the harvesting program HG612_Stats.Exe is being seem to consume upward of 26% on a 3.00GHZ Quad Processor 16GB Ram.  Whilst previously one would occasionally see it use at time less than 1%.

If I stop the task running it all goes back to normal and then after some time its goes back to high CPU, what I have noticed is that in the scripts folder today for example there is an 'Is Running' Text file from 08:12 this morning.

Am running the latest version of the program with beta updates.

Any one got any thoughts on this.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats - HG612_Stats.Exe High CPU Utilisation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »

There is a speed setting I think on the additional settings tab in the GUI, try setting that to fast. What happens is the PC tries to query the modem too quickly on fast computers and it causes problems.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Korben_dallas

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »

Hi Ronski,

Thanks for the information, on the install of the software I had the setting set to Fast and last night on looking at the issue again I set it to Medium.  I have now after this morning set it to Slow and will see as to what happens next.

To be honest I cant remember as to what it was set at on the last P.C which although a different motherboard it was the same processor.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »

Slow is the default I believe.  I could be completely wrong and it may be something else causing it. Actually we have had a problem with Windows 8 where you need to manually run the three programs and OK the Windows security message clicking the do not ask again option.

Try manually running the following programs and see if you get any security warnings from Windows.

HG612_Run.exe
HG612_stats.exe
HG612_current_stats.exe

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Korben_dallas

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

Hi,

I ran each of the commands manually and was not prompted for any security warnings.  I have noted that since I changed the setting to slow that the CPU useage has crept up and have found a 'Is Running' dated from after 2pm today.

Baffling.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »

Hi,

I ran each of the commands manually and was not prompted for any security warnings.  I have noted that since I changed the setting to slow that the CPU useage has crept up and have found a 'Is Running' dated from after 2pm today.

Baffling.

Which versions of the programs are you running?

It sounds like you are experiencing a 'stuck' instance of HG612_stats.exe.

We are about to release v 4 of the package.
However, allowing beta program updates should have ensured you are using the most recent versions that deal with 'stuck' instances more efficiently.

Extracts from the various logs stored in the Event & Error Logs folder may assist to determine the cause of & the cure for the issue you mention.

The SLOW setting is for older/slower PCs that the modem itself can keep up with.

The FAST setting is for newer/faster PCs that attempt to harvest & process the stats data quicker than the modem can provide it.

The FAST setting basically slows down the programs, pausing every now & then to allow the modem to catch up.
Again, more recent versions of the programs deal with that issue more efficiently.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »

Hi,

Please find attached a subset of the logs from today which starts before the last 'IsRunning Text'

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »

I've now taken a look at your logs & I have sent you a PM.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »

Please find updated sub set of logs.

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »

I received a set of logs by email at 20:59 & responded by email.

Korben_dallas

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:37:45 PM »

Hi,

Since the changes I have not had a re-occurence everything is fine and cpu utilisation is normal and it appears the time to process/upload looks better than previously.

Other than the program update I hav emoved the actual programs from the C Drive which was SSD to the D Drive but as they were moved it also means that the likes of Crashplan is not monitoring them for backup, whcih I wonder now if this might have contributed to the processing/upload times as seen ?

I will continue to monitor meantime, and again thanks for all the help.