Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BT Confirm UK Rollout of 1000Mbps G.Fast Ultrafast Broadband from 2016/17  (Read 15415 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Yes they will move the master socket if you order the HWS module (or your ISP do on your behalf). They have no choice.

At the moment, does the wire feeding your master socket run past the point in the hallway where you'd like it re-siting ?? If so, it's a 10 minute job to carry out your wishes ?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

No it does not. The hall is further to the left if you're looking straight-on at the house: the drop wire comes in from the right. How does it work in that case?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Here's a partial 'Cut & Paste' from our guidelines. Apologies if there's been a change from this practice with different ISP's, but I personally am not aware of any and this is still the case ?

The new ‘Home Wiring Solution Product’ enables the engineer on site to choose from a range of options and for him/her to choose the one which ensures the best end-user experience. The options are:

* Provide internal data extension

* Provide external data extension (kits currently available from coaches)

* Swap existing NTE5 with existing extension socket

* Shift NTE5

A single charge will be made to the CP regardless of which option is used.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

No it does not. The hall is further to the left if you're looking straight-on at the house: the drop wire comes in from the right. How does it work in that case?

There are lots of 'work-arounds'. The engineer on-site will work out the best, aesthetic solution that you are happy for him to progress with.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Do they tend not to run a new drop wire o where it is needed then? The current wire is definitely not going to be long enough - do they connect a new wire to that by some type of bridge or something else?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Let's hope it is an OR engineer!

Other companies seem to not have the best reputation. But if you get an OR engineer then you'll be fine :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Like I say, there are lots of scenario's that could take place ........... but there is indeed scope to elongate the in-situ dropwire by utilising a dropwire connector block, locally referred to as a 'Sausage'.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I believe the dropwire is fairly new anyway: it was replaced entirely a few years ago.

The master socket was originally where I want it again now. The socket there now is a secondary one: it was an old-style type anyway.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Then there may be opportunities to turn this back into a master socket without the need for drilling/further cabling ?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

How do they do that then? Do they use the internal wiring as a dropwire extension?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

If it is possible, yes.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Ahh okay well I have no idea what the internal wiring is like between the master and the extension.

Actually, it goes under the carpet and then under the mat by the front door - I believe it is damaged somewhat! Works fine for phone service.

Failing that I guess they run a new dropwire to the new location?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

From my experience from friends and from my install, engineers are quite happy to swap the master socket to be an existing extension socket. A friend also had the incoming BT point moved when the engineer put a cable run around the outside of the house.

Contractors however, may not be so keen to move wiring.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

AArdvark

• Kitizen

Jid,
I had the original incoming BT cable routed around the outside of the house to enter the up stairs study (bedroom really!) where I wanted it.
I was happy with that as I had external grade cat 5 running the same route. :)

Send from LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Persnickety is a North Americanism. We say 'Pernickety', in the UK.  ;) ;D

Pernickety here too.   Perhaps its a northern thang?

Edit

Pernickety it is.
Persnickety according to the Oxford dictionary is "North American term for pernickety."
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4