Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: BT Confirm UK Rollout of 1000Mbps G.Fast Ultrafast Broadband from 2016/17  (Read 15363 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member

The national telecoms operator, BT, has today delivered an earlier than expected surprise by announcing their intention to deploy the next generation hybrid-fibre G.fast (ITU G.9701) broadband technology across the United Kingdom from 2016/17, with “most homes” told to expect speeds of ‘up to’ 500Mbps (Megabits per second) and there’s also a “premium” option for up to 1000Mbps (the premium may come via FTTP).

Rest of article ...

So I guess BT aren't going to go down the VDSL->"super-vectoring" road ...  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

simoncraddock

• Reg Member

Wonder if that means they are not rolling out ITU-T G.993.5 Vectoring, but will instead make us wait for G.Fast from some date commencing 2016? I guess that means a possible hardware refresh for the end user.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

The national telecoms operator, BT, has today delivered an earlier than expected surprise by announcing their intention to deploy the next generation hybrid-fibre G.fast (ITU G.9701) broadband technology across the United Kingdom from 2016/17, with “most homes” told to expect speeds of ‘up to’ 500Mbps (Megabits per second) and there’s also a “premium” option for up to 1000Mbps (the premium may come via FTTP).

Rest of article ...

So I guess BT aren't going to go down the VDSL->"super-vectoring" road ...  :)

G.Fast makes far more extensive use of vectoring than VDSL2 - BT will have to introduce vectoring on current VDSL2 products or they have bugger all chance of G.Fast working with all those alien emitters.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Nothing is confirmed until the end users see it or feel it !!!

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: BT Confirm UK Rollout of 1000Mbps G.Fast Ultrafast Broadband from 2016/17
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »

Sckipio Claims to Double the Distance of Ultrafast G.fast Broadband Tech

Israel-based modem maker Sckipio, which last year became the first manufacturer to release commercial hardware for the next generation hybrid-fibre G.fast (ITU G.9701) broadband technology that BT is also hoping to roll-out in the United Kingdom from 2016/17 (details), claims to have already doubled the technology’s reach.

Sckipio claims to have “successfully demonstrated“, albeit only as part of a laboratory trial, a tweaked version of G.fast that “doubles the official ITU targets” for the technology by delivering speeds of greater than 500Mbps over 200 metres of copper cable and more than 200Mbps at 400 metres (the 400m figure is particularly impressive for G.fast). However it’s unclear if this is just on the download or aggregated with upload.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/sckipio-claims-double-distance-ultrafast-g-fast-broadband-tech.html

Too recent to be tested in the upcoming trials I assume?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: BT Confirm UK Rollout of 1000Mbps G.Fast Ultrafast Broadband from 2016/17
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »

Sckipio Claims to Double the Distance of Ultrafast G.fast Broadband Tech

Too recent to be tested in the upcoming trials I assume?

I just posted something over in the News thread, regarding analysis on the G.fast announcement by BT (including a link to read further). Specifically...

"There has been a breakthrough on G.fast in the last quarter and we now see a way to deliver it from street cabinets rather than just distribution points," [Gavin Patterson] said. "That means we can build on existing investments."

It could very well be the thing that has prompted BT to do some cabinet-based trials, and that it is worth doing the trials sooner rather than later.

niemand

• Kitizen

G.Fast makes far more extensive use of vectoring than VDSL2 - BT will have to introduce vectoring on current VDSL2 products or they have bugger all chance of G.Fast working with all those alien emitters.

G.fast simply won't use the VDSL 2 profile 17a frequency range. Problem solved.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

What will this do for people who live say 750 metres from the cabinet. Will they see any benefit?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

What will this do for people who live say 750 metres from the cabinet. Will they see any benefit?

From what I understand the fibre will go to a node closer to your house. So the distance will be reduced a lot. So it'll be the distance from your house to the node that will be the key thing, as far as I understand it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

c6em

• Reg Member

and the closer you get the node to your home you can extend the frequency range higher and higher which is how you get the speeds quoted for G.Fast.
It is VERY high frequency but only "reachable-out" to a shorter distance that VDSL.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Ahh I see.

So if I'm just getting FTTC now does that mean it's going to come next year?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:

Sounds great this g.fast but it will more then likely not be put in rural areas. Still waiting on my cab to activated for fttc but only time will tell.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Sounds great this g.fast but it will more then likely not be put in rural areas. Still waiting on my cab to activated for fttc but only time will tell.

Wait why does the area being rural make any difference? If there's FTTC already in the area, surely it's as difficult to install this in a rural area as it is in an urban area?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:

I was talking about the general rural areas that don't have fttc. Should of been more clear.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything