Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Interference problem  (Read 12155 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Interference problem
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »

makes sense since a DLM reset is the cure to outdated ECI modems not liking G.INP,

Jizzerman is using a Huawei cabinet so your theory is not holding up in this case.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »

makes sense since a DLM reset is the cure to outdated ECI modems not liking G.INP,

Jizzerman is using a Huawei cabinet so your theory is not holding up in this case.

The cabinet is irrelevant. Outdated ECI modems don't support G.INP, so the OR instructions are to reset the DLM on the line, which will allow a connection to be established, which will then allow the modem firmware to be updated to support G.INP. That supports the suggestion that resetting the DLM (temporarily) removes G.INP if enabled.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 08:58:24 PM »

I see what your saying ->

The rate of deployment is now increasing. It is therefore more likely you will encounter the below scenario if you are repairing a fibre circuit and have to replace the Openreach modem.

What’s changing?
VDSL retransmission is now being deployed at a rate of around 45,000 circuits per day

It may not be obvious that you’re carrying out a repair on a fibre ReTX enabled circuit with a retransmission profile applied. And it only becomes important if you have to replace a faulty Openreach modem. If the replacement modem is ECI (indicated on the box or base of the modem) it’s likely the firmware is incompatible with ReTX and a workaround needs to be applied.
An ECI modem with old firmware will appear to be in sync (the DSL light will be on) but the customer will not be able to access the internet and this will also be reflected in your GEA service test result:
For example “VDSL modem is not in sync”.

What you need to do…
If you complete a DLM reset it will remove the ReTX profile and allow the modem to sync up and then the system will download the correct firmware before ReTX is reapplied. You do not need to wait for the download, it will happen overnight. As you will know, a DLM reset is only permissible when you have found and fixed a hard fault on the circuit - and a faulty modem is a hard fault.
It is important that you only use the DLM reset procedure, found here, when you clear a hard fault or experience a no sync situation after replacing a modem on a fibre repair task. The use of DLM resets will continue to be monitored.

Imagine all the ECI modem users asking for a line reset by a Oprenreach Engineer just to get G.INP it would cause chaos  ;)

jizzerman

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:26 PM »

Thanks for the updates, glad I have no ECI in my life :)
Seems like it should sort itself back out pretty quickly.

Is G.INP applied even if your line is stable enough for FastPath?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »

Thats a good question and your stats overtime will answer that.

tma20

• Just arrived
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »

G.INP was enabled on my short and relatively error-free line on Monday (was fastpath for months). I suspect anyone's line who falls into the 'amber' category will get it enabled - but there's every chance BTw are enabling it for everyone, because I can't see that there's a downside. Speed and latency are the same, and SNR margin has increased slightly to 12dB (although I suspect this is a facet of new firmware applied at the DSLAM rather than anything G.INP is doing)

jizzerman

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:56 PM »

G.INP was enabled on my short and relatively error-free line on Monday (was fastpath for months).

Looks like it'll be G.INPing all round then. There was no change to mine last night.
Hoping it get's picked up soon.

My SNRM is strangely stable at 6dB, normally it would be bit a higher and swing by a dB or two during the evenings.
Would the forced interleaving be maintaining this, straight like an arrow profile?

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »

I suspect anyone's line who falls into the 'amber' category will get it enabled - but there's every chance BTw are enabling it for everyone

What is amber category? Thanks

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 01:42:22 AM »

There are two thresholds used when DLM looks at the ES counter over a 24 hour period.

If you are above the "red" threshold, this will trigger DLM intervention overnight.

If you are below the "green" threshold, DLM will kick the de-intervention mechanism, although it takes a few days of being below the green threshold for de-intervention to actually happen.

Inbetween these thresholds, you are in amber territory - where DLM does not get triggered in either direction.

That's all true for old-style DLM. However, DLM is being changed for G.INP - and we don't know how far the changes cascade.

jizzerman

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »

G.INP was turned back on at 8.56am this morning.
The SNRM went from the solid 6 back to the normal 8.5.

Plusnet ran a new GEA test today, which returns with no crosstalk or REIN detected, these have been positive in my previous tests.

I'm really hoping the new pair has finally put the issue to rest. Will keep an eye over the next week or two.

Either way, with that spare SNRM it might be worth going back up to 80/20 package, as i might get 50 down and 15 up with any luck.
But I won't rush it :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]