Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interference problem  (Read 12141 times)

jizzerman

Interference problem
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »

Sorry, for butting in, but I have also been driven nuts by interference from my mains supply.

I have tried Tacima mains filters and RFI cleaners for the router/modem power supply.
Removed powerline adapters.
Put ferrites everywhere.
Shielded cable from my new MK3 faceplate to the modem, but still the jittery SNRm especially during the mornings and evening, when we are all active at home.

I have a REIN case open luckily and the engineer has been trying to help, but no luck yet.

Does anyone know if BT will consider changing the cable feeding into my house to a shielded one?
As I recon my master socket is right on my downstairs ring main cabling, which is why it's so sensitive.
My HG612 stats are online should anyone wish to compare.
Cheers.

[Split from "DLM Banded Profiles" topic - Admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:10:11 PM by roseway »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Interference problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »

I don't think there's any chance that Openreach would fit a shielded drop cable.

What you need to do is establish what kind of interference it is, and then try to find the source. 24-hour monitoring of the connection can be very helpful in diagnosing these sorts of issues. If you have a monitoring program running, or can install one, the first port of call would be the SNR margin graph.
  Eric

jizzerman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »

I'm running the stats program and upload them to mydslwebstats, it's great for checking what's happening!

There are regular swathes of interference every morning and most of the evening.
I know my boiler kicks in at 6.30am, 11.30am and 16.30pm for the hot water provision, which coincides with about a 1dB drop like clockwork, but I am not sure how else I can protect my line from it.
I have attached a 24hr sample, some days my SNRm will drop entirely for about 30mins, causes re-sync at a much lower rate, and a reboot a bit later is needed to get the re-sync back to normal.
The BT cable comes from underground right next to my front door, goes through the wall about 18 inch thick straight into my MK3, through some CAT5 put in by the house builders I recon. (brand new house)
I am thinking about putting a metal plate between my wall and the grey plastic cover they have screwed to my wall and changing that tiny cable for a shielded equivalent.

What you recon?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:57 PM »

A few questions Jizzerman
1. is the FTTC Modem situated beside the Master Socket ?   
2. is the Master Socket very close to any mains sockets or mains cables ?

jizzerman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »

Hi,

1. the FTTC modem is about 1m from the mains socket
2. the master socket is very close to the mains power, about 6 inches away from a double socket.

For all I know the ring mains cable might run right next to the twisted pair coming in from outside in the wall behind the socket.

Thanks.

EDIT: Added pic of how close to mains :/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:58:27 PM by jizzerman »

jizzerman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:51 PM »

I have tried all sorts and the REIN/crosstalk continues.
Ran a new shielded cable through the wall, and even put that in a steel sleeve, to be totally sure.

Every 65 minutes it drops by 2dB for a couple of minutes, then once in a while its catastrophic and drops me to 25MBit.
Have some interesting graphs I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to interpret for me?
Up until last night I was getting 3 million FEC/min for about 2 weeks, then it went back to normal for a reason that must be external to me.

REIN engineer determined it was OK, but I'm not so sure. What's even left to be done? £20k for BT FTTP?

Cheers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:04 PM »

Both graphs show that there is something distinctly wrong with (the DS of) your circuit. The QLN graph is not something that I have ever seen before.  :o

I am at a complete loss as to what to suggest.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:53:19 PM »

Both graphs show that there is something distinctly wrong with (the DS of) your circuit. The QLN graph is not something that I have ever seen before.  :o

I am at a complete loss as to what to suggest.  :(

Noise on the Downstream tones but not on the Upstream tones that's interesting any twisted pairs should run 90° from a mains cable like a criss cross never have the pairs in parallel with mains wiring.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:05:38 AM »

Perhaps a fault in the cab where the DS comes from. The US from the modem is fine?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »

When I had a HR fault it only seemed to affect Downstream at first, and when it rained the upstream was also affected.

Just a hunch in your pic you have that transformer plugged in and switched on, but nothing connected. Just wondering could that be the cause of your issues as its very near the NTE?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:51 AM »

I wonder if it could be a fault with the port on the DSLAM line-card?

Perhaps you could try giving the port "time to relax"? (N*Star will know what I mean.  ;)  ) Late one evening, when all Internet usage is over --
  • Power off the router, thus dropping the PPPoE session with your CP/ISP.
  • Power off the modem (so that it sends its "dying gasp").
  • Disconnect the cable linking the modem to the SSFP.
  • Next morning, power up the modem and allow it to initialise.
  • Reconnect the cable linking the modem to the SSFP.
  • Once synchronisation has occurred between the modem and the DSLAM, power up the router (establishing a new PPPoE session).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jizzerman

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »

Just a hunch in your pic you have that transformer plugged in and switched on, but nothing connected. Just wondering could that be the cause of your issues as its very near the NTE?

This is the Tacima mains cleaner device I bought to try and suck up any loose RFI floating about in the mains, all the gear is plugged into a Tacima filtered plug bar too.
Spending a lot, getting no where.  ???

The mega drop that took place when the modem last re-synced, and provided the entirely busted QLN DS graph was brief and came back a bit later yesterday a couple of times close to each other. My hunch is someone is aiming a REIN machine at the bundle of pairs into my end of the estate!

I will try the "cool down period" sounds like a plan. I have a long outstanding call with PlusNet, I am hoping they will just lift and shift now, it's the last thing left.

Cheers for taking the time to check it out.

jizzerman

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »

Turned it off overnight. It re-connected back at normal 40/10. Then it REINed about 9.50 and dropped it again to 25/10.
Gave the same crazy QLN during that re-sync.

But the REIN that comes every 65 minutes seems to have now stopped.
Any ideas what pumps out an EMP every 65 minutes all day and all night? And wrecks the DS only.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 05:59:56 PM »

Any ideas what pumps out an EMP every 65 minutes all day and all night? And wrecks the DS only.

A fridge/freezer could do this as the motor switches on, when my fridge was new it would be every hour but as it's a year old it's more like every 35 minutes bar any attemps to gain again access via the doors that is.

jizzerman

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »

It's a good shout. But seems too precise, and we haven't changed any white goods and the issue came for 3 weeks, and stopped this morning. (hopefully)
And my beer is still cold..

Parts of the estate I live on are still being built, I'm beginning to wonder if their heavy equipment is causing it? Might explain why the big drops are only in the daytime, usually mid morning.
I also wonder why fibre wasn't blown to all the new houses :)

Perhaps a fault in the cab where the DS comes from. The US from the modem is fine?
I have not had an update from PlusNet since it was re-opened for the 3rd time this week.
Hoping OR lift and shift.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything