Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Copying A complete Distro From One Computer To Another.  (Read 3902 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Copying A complete Distro From One Computer To Another.
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »

Can I Copy A complete Distro From One Computer To Another.

I have five Family computers on my network, I have installed 'Basic' pclos on them, On one I'm configuring all the software settings eg things like 'samba server' etc, user settings, browser / emails accounts etc.
Can I copy to each other machine?.
If so how.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Copying A complete Distro From One Computer To Another.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

PCLinuxOS has a 'remaster' facility which enables you to create a new installation CD based on the installed software and configuration of the current setup. I've no idea how well it works, but I've seen plenty of references to it on their forum. I rather suspect though that it only includes system configuration, not personal user settings (but I might be wrong).

Failing that, I suppose that you would have to manually partition each PC hard disk in the same way as the master one, then find a way to copy all the files across, complete with symlinks (which might be a problem). The best way would be to ghost each partition using Ghost-for-Linux or something similar. If you want to preserve a dual-boot situation, you would then need to run the live CD and use it to repair the master boot record.

Assuming that the hardware isn't identical, there might be some issues booting the OS on different hardware, but Linux is pretty accommodating in this respect so it would probably work but maybe need a bit of tweaking afterwards.

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother trying the second method. I would be concerned about losing the remainder of my hair. The remaster method looks to be by far the best option.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »

Hello Eric.

You have given me some idea's .
Yes I have noticed one or two posts over on there forum about 'remaster'.
I will try few ways off doing it, what about a 'Backup' have it include as many files as possible, then because I will have the basic distro on the other machine, copy the 'backup' to the new machine.
I will do 'synaptic' downloads as a separate transfer.
Re."Ghost-for-Linux or something similar." Are there any free Linux types ?.

You said "I would be concerned about losing the remainder of my hair. " 

I have as much hair as when I was younger, The only problem it grows out of my ears and nose instead of growing on my head.  ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »

:)

Ghost for Linux is free - http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Hardware/Ghost-for-Linux-053.shtml

Using backups in the way you suggest is still going to leave you with a lot of manual configuration. Are the different machines all going to be identical, with every user given a login of every machine? If so, you could just backup the whole of /home and restore it to each machine, but you would still have to manually set up each user in order to get the logins enabled. Or if each machine is for the use of a different user, then you'll have to sort out the file ownership details after copying the files.

I really think that it will be less work, and much more certain of a result, to use the remaster facility or even just set up each machine from scratch.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »

Well I had a go with remaster , it was easy to use just open a root terminal and type /remasterme --> enter   then off it went.
It saves an .iso file in the root folder 'pclos 2007.iso .

Still got to try it yet. ;)

anything