Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Damned Yahoo!  (Read 7985 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Damned Yahoo!
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »

Can someone tell me how to stop Yahoo making itself the default search engine please?

I re-set it to Google almost every day.

I'm running Windows 8.1 my preferred search engine is Google and Google Chrome is my browser.

Regards,

Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Damned Yahoo!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »

To completely remove Yahoo do the following  (Taken from here)

n the top right, click the Chrome menu Chrome menu
Select Settings.
Go to the "Search" section.
Click Manage search engines.
Under "Other search engines" you can:

Add a search engine: fill out the fields to set up the search engine.
    Edit a search engine: if a search engine is listed, select it and edit the fields.
    Delete a search engine: select the search engine and click the X that appears at the end of the row.
    Set a default search engine: hover over the search engine and click Make Default. (If the button doesn't appear, you may need to edit the URL listed.)

Click Done.

My dad often loses his set by default on his lappy, but I found out that it was happening whenever he updated either Adobe Acrobat or Java.  You have to be careful when updating because unless he was checking the tick box carefully it would change his default search engine to something else.  Personally I find its a bit cheeky when software manufacturers do this because it catches quite a lot of people out.

I know that IE has a setting to stop this happening again, but when searching for the equivalent in chrome I came up with this thread which may also be worth checking out.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »

HI Kitz,

I have done the above instructions several times over the last few weeks but it still comes back like the bad penny!
Unless the up dates you mentioned have been automatically installed I haven't seen any recent ones.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »

Is his on windows?, anything  yahoo related in programs and features in the control panel?

Ian

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »

All I found in control panel was/is Yahoo Community Smartbar Engine.  I opted to uninstall  this and appeared to have succeeded, but it was still showing as been installed so thinking i needed to restart my PC I did. When I opened Kitz forum the search engine was again Yahoo.

It's driving me to distraction! :'(

Peter

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »

try running http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/... it removes pups....potentially unwanted programs.

Ian

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »

I down loaded that programme but the damned Yahoo refuses to budge, maybe I'm not using it properly, being an old git I'm not very IT savvy.

Pete

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »

Hi

The quickest and easiest way to remove if your not pc literate would be to uninstall chrome, restart pc, delete any remaining folders of chrome and reinstall chrome

Clearly make a backup of your favourites first

Or you could check the settings in chrome for reference to yahoo and remove.

Many thanks

John

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »

Hi John,

Yes, I have set Google as default search engine and removed Yahoo at the same time, but Yahoo keeps coming back.

I the control panel is  Yahoo Community Smartbar Engine which I've tried to remove but despite being told it is uninstalled it is till there.

Very annoying

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »

You could try Revo Uninstaller (Google for url, it's free) and see if it finds anything relevant to uninstall. Otherwise Ccleaner will scan your registry where it may be hiding and offer to remove it. Ccleaner needs to be used with care though but once again, free.
Tony

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »

Hi

Please try the following, but at your own risk.

Many thanks

John

Open the task manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete Go to the processes tab and find the process titled "SearchSettings." Kill it.

Go to my computer. Go to the C drive. Go to the folder "Program Files," then the folder "Common Files." Find the folder titled "Spigot" and delete it. If it is not listed check program files (x86), common files

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »

................ or, by an Apple device ...... you won't have this problem again.  ;) ;D ;D ;D <in-joke>.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »

................ or, by an Apple device ...... you won't have this problem again.  ;) ;D ;D ;D <in-joke>.

I know it was meant as a joke but I'd be very very careful of late with making claims about Apple.    There are far more exploits hitting Macs and IoS these days.   I bet you've had to do more updates on your Mac since last Oct than I have on Win7 ..  and I know I now see far more updates on my ipad than I do on my Windows machine.

At least Windows attempt to tackle the problem and dont shy from it - unlike Apple.  This past few months hasnt been good when it comes to Apple exploits.  The problem is the more that Apple becomes popular then the more worthwhile it is for hackers to find flaws in Apple and their operating systems.   They are not immune, never have been, its just that hackers didnt previously think it was worth their while to attack an O/S that has few users, but now thats beginning to change..

Thats aside from the fact that the yahoo problem also exists on Macs :p
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 01:39:56 AM »

indeed, both the apple and google situation's has put microsoft in a shining light, as microsoft not only patch holes, but they have been doing it on very old operating systems.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »

Personally, I regard the underlying problem here is that browser authors seem to feel the need for any kind of automatic search facilities at all.

If I want to search for something on the web, I might go to google's home page, and enter text into the box.  Or maybe same with yahoo, whatever.  What is so hard about that?

Worst of all is the now very common combined address bar/search.  Last thing I want, having mistyped a URL, is for a browser to somehow try and make sense of what is intrinsically garbage and treat it as a search...

anything