Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Apple - biggest quarterly profit in history  (Read 22561 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Apple - biggest quarterly profit in history
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »

I'd actually like to see Apple win a lot more cases.  Having been first to mass-market with the modern touch screen smartphone, people like Samsung were able to come along a year or so later, with phones that were all but indistinguishable from iPhones from more than a few feet away.  Yet it turned out Apple had precious little legal recourse, other than  specific features like individual swipe recognition, iirc.  Never seemed quite fair, to me.

Surely you are not serious? That's like saying no one else can build a car because it looks the same from a 100 feet away! Apple just copied someone else's idea and marketed it well and got the software roughly right! This existed in 1992, long before Apple copied and patented someone elses idea!
If you don't like, just don't buy?

I don't!

I've read today, but can't be bothered hunting it down for referencing  :), that the longevity of the Apple components more than makes up for the relatively poor PC equivalent.

Horses for courses, it would appear.

Have you ever stopped to consider why Apple software/hardware is more reliable than windows? The answer is that Apple has complete control of the hardware used, the drivers written and the OS. Meanwhile there are billions of combinations of possible hardware, with drivers written by god knows who and Windows is expected to run on all of them, try doing that with Apple OS and watch it fall over  :lol:

@sevenlayermuddle, there you go, a perfect example of how Apple rip off the end user, make the case extremely difficult to get into and rip off the end user for a simple ram upgrade, the same upgrade on my Windows PC would be a fraction of the cost.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

Apple has and will continue to get away with almost anything more so in America due to the obvious protectionism the US Government seems to display when dragged in to the legal wrangling's with non-American companies. On the subject of ideas and patents, very few of Apples ideas are original if researched. Apple just spit polishes them and then patents it then thinks they can demand obscene amounts of money for design patents yet feels no remorse for refusing to license technology patents created by the likes of Ericsson, Samsung, HTC and many others. They have become the no.1 parasite in the mobile industry.

I've never owned a single Apple device nor wish to own one whilst ever it's run with such a walled garden approach to apps and music. With my current phone (HTC M8) I can if I wish switch to either a Samsung, Sony, Hauwei, and a dozen other lesser known brands and carry on using the same Apps and have the freedom to customise my OS to suite me rather than have Apple dictate what I can and cannot do on the device I purchased.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »

I am firmly in the non-Apple camp. Note because I find their stuff technically bad but simply because it is significantly over priced and I absolutely hate their "tie you into Apple or get lost attitude". I had an Amiga PC some years ago which ran an Apple emulator and I loved it (the Apple emulator, although I did love the Amiga more than any PC I have owned since!!) but it was prior to their switch to Intel and *Nix systems but would I shell out ridiculous sums of money for a real Apple PC - NO WAY JOSE! I simply cannot see any point in spending the money for an Iphone (or an Apple PC for that matter), when my contract was up for renewal on my phone I did look but why spend any money on a Iphone when for no money up front I got a Sony Android device which does everything I need including 5ghz wi-fi and 4g with long battery life, plus a free Samsung 7 inch Android 4.4 tablet (which I don' really need but did come in handy to watch downloaded TV programs when I was in hospital recently), all for £5 less per month than I was paying before with the same data included and more texts and minutes than I cold ever use in a month. I simply don't follow fashion and that I believe is what sells Apple stuff, not that it is technically superior but because you are not cool if you don't own one, which is rubbish.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »

I'm cooler than you, Stuart ..... and slightly skinter.  ;) ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »

I'm cooler than you, Stuart ..... and slightly skinter.  ;) ;D

:lol: :lol:

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »

I simply don't follow fashion and that I believe is what sells Apple stuff

Of one thing I am certain, nobody who knows me would ever acuse me of being, at any time in my life, but especially in current and grumpy maturity, a follower of fashion.   I've never deviated from the 'short back and sides' hairstyle I settled on as a child, won't ear earphones as they make me feel self conscious, and I drive a Volvo.    Not that I don't find it flattering though, even if it is a 'first'.  :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »

Surely you are not serious? That's like saying no one else can build a car because it looks the same from a 100 feet away! Apple just copied someone else's idea and marketed it well and got the software roughly right! This existed in 1992, long before Apple copied and patented someone elses idea!

If you think that bears any resemblance to an iPhone then I respectfully suggest that perhaps, despite your criticisms, you have never actually laid eyes on one?   :D

More seriously, people are of course entitled to their views.  I, having had a very unpleasant experience with a Samsung Android, feel a strong prejudice against such.   Yet I don't feel the need to engage in every Android thread with negative comments, along the lines of  'I hate Android'. 

I am genuinely curious here as to why threads about Apple get a different response.  Maybe, in another life, I should have been a Sociologist, whatever that means?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »

I've laid my eyes on a fair few iPhones and ipads, and I'm glad to say that my Samsung S4 and my families S3 Mini's don't resemble an iPhone either,  but I bet Apple would find a reason to sue both manufacturers if they could :lol: My point was that Apple didn't invent the touch phone, it existed long before they started filing patents, as did tablets!

According to the news just now Apple don't pay enough tax, or dividends either.

Typed on my Samsung Galaxy Note tablet.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »

I am genuinely curious here as to why threads about Apple get a different response.

I think the problem which causes most of the anti-Apple rhetoric  is the pricing and the restrictive policy about what you can and cannot do to their hardware. Fine if your Apple device does everything you need and can afford it but there are 1000's for whom it either does not do what they want or simply cannot afford their prices. I simply do not accept that you cannot do anything an Apple device does cheaper and just as reliably with an alternative. After all their PCs now using Linux don't they  ;) ;) much of it still the free software (Gutenprint is still heavily used in Macs).

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 10:55:38 PM »

According to the news just now Apple don't pay enough tax, or dividends either.
So, do you voluntarily pay more tax than you need to, as long as you act within the law?  If not, why should big Companies?   

If you are unhappy with the tax regime then make your feelings known at elections.  But you can't blame individuals, corner shops, or huge companies for minimising their tax, as long as it is legal.

Per dividends, I haven't seen that news.   But to my understanding, dividend yield is simply a parameter one takes into account when investing and, if the dividend yield is low, investors are free to sell stock walk away.   But I'm not aware of any legal reason compelling a company to pay dividends.   They pay dividends to keep investors happy and maintain capital and perhaps to minimise tax liabilities.  If the investors are already queued around the block and grinning from ear to ear, and the company cash rich and is already structured for minimal tax, why pay a dividend?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »

. After all their PCs now using Linux don't they  ;) ;) much of it still the free software (Gutenprint is still heavily used in Macs).

Shock horror, no,  not really.   Apple's OS's are Unix in origin, not Linux.

To the inexpert eye Linux and Unix may look the same.   Even if you look at the source code, it may look spookily familiar.   But Linux is most definitely a Unix clone, and a relatively modern phenomenon.   Unix, in contrast, has a long and fine pedigree. 

I feel sure some other forum members if they happen to be reading, even those with a powerful allegiance to Linux, would support me in saying that Unix is subtly different.   I would say 'subtly better', but that is personal and confrontational.    :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »

I feel sure some other forum members if they happen to be reading, even those with a powerful allegiance to Linux, would support me in saying that Unix is subtly different.

Indeed.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 06:38:38 AM »

@sevenlayermuddle, if I  was super rich then I may well,  and if I  was a company as rich as Apple then I would reward my investers with more frequent dividends. After all my time is very valuable yet I have spent a lot of that time writing free software for the community.

So you think apples pure greed and bully boy tactics is morally correct, I  don't!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »

Don't be daft, ronski ............. the thread started about Apple's immense profits due to its vast upturn in i-Phone sales. I don't think 7LM has given a second thought about what Apples corporate stance is, or how they conduct their business ??

The debate (in the main) is about Apple v PC ............ as in the product, not the business model.

I've used the cheap PC versions up to approx. 3yrs ago, I changed to Apple and the look, feel and quality of the product jumps out at you as an average user. I'm not arsed about the code it uses, whether Apple pay their taxes, or if it won't support, MS's 'I want to be an astronaut' software ......... for what I use it for, which is exactly the same as what I used the cheaper PC version for ............ Apple is a far better experience for myself as the user.

This boils down to 'Can one afford to buy Apple products'. Lets not be haters if one can't manage it. There's cheaper stuff available that folk are saying is just as good.  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »

I'm not being daft, the points I make are perfectly valid, and the companies business tactics should be taken into account.

And for the record, if I chose to I could afford Apple products, I choose not to though. My 27" Dell monitor uses the same panel as Apple  cinema screens, but was a third of the price, I have the quality without the expense.  Like  a lot of people I prefer control over my hardware, and programs that I wish to use. I've spoken to many a person that's had problems with Apple kit, they are not immune to problems.

Pages: 1 [2] 3