Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Line Fault under ADSL2+ - Prior to FTTC Install  (Read 13250 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Line Fault under ADSL2+ - Prior to FTTC Install
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »

Great set of figures, and I concur with Eric's thoughts.  :) Time will be the teller.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »

I think they may be able to fix the fault without disturbing you.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »

My guess also its E side related.  If the FTTC is working well I would leave it alone.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 10:38:31 PM »

Phew Im glad that so far so good.  :fingers:

I think Plusnet may be able to put your fault on hold for a while.   They did with mine.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 10:48:47 PM »

That probably means that the HR fault is on the E side and therefore not affecting the broadband connection now you have FTTC.

I had one of these when I first joined FTTC - no issues at all with broadband, but phone E Side was a state!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »

In our last place, the FTTC broadband was fine. But we'd get intermittent pops and hisses on the voice side which never registered on any line tests . so we mostly ignored them.

I wonder how common it is - that the VDSL2 connection is clear, while the voice isn't.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »

In our last place, the FTTC broadband was fine. But we'd get intermittent pops and hisses on the voice side which never registered on any line tests . so we mostly ignored them.

I wonder how common it is - that the VDSL2 connection is clear, while the voice isn't.

This may give you a clue my broadband is being sent to me by an exchange that is 3 miles from me and the voice/telephone is supplied by my local exchange which is 0.68 miles from me.

Two different exchanges for two different products.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 09:09:43 PM »

. . . my broadband is being sent to me by an exchange that is 3 miles from me . . .

But that will not be a problem. The link is a fibre-optic feed from the head-end exchange to the "fibre" cabinet adjacent to the PCP, where the  telephony E- & D-sides meet.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »

. . . my broadband is being sent to me by an exchange that is 3 miles from me . . .

But that will not be a problem. The link is a fibre-optic feed from the head-end exchange to the "fibre" cabinet adjacent to the PCP, where the  telephony E- & D-sides meet.

Yes that part is not an issue it's the local exchange that only provides the telehoney/voice to PCP cabinet from the old E-side voice exchange which does not use fibre it's still using the old underground metal cabling .
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:16:23 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »

I think my question was more about the relative quality of the two chunks of copper. Which ultimately becomes a question of whether swapping to FTTC improves the (broadband) fault rate or makes it worse. I guess BT know these stats by now...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's not something that we can 'stat'. One either has a fault that is reported, or one doesn't. That is the only way we can gather historical data.

I also think it comes down to the difference in EU's expectations ??. I, for example am not bothered in the slightest that I've lost circa 25Meg through cross-talk since I first went 'live' on FTTC. Whereas others go livid if they lose 0.5Meg. Conversely (pun intended), one EU may put up with an extremely noisy landline, whilst another will report the slightest one-off noise event.

I do however, think that a lot of REIN events go un-reported through EU's moving to the greater bandwidth product ?? Even though the REIN will affect the circuit, it is nowhere near as noticeable on VDSL, than it is on ADSL.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 08:45:50 PM »

Whereas others go livid if they lose 0.5Meg. Conversely (pun intended), one EU may put up with an extremely noisy landline, whilst another will report the slightest one-off noise event.

must admit i'm the EU who puts up with what is given to him/her by Openreach the reason for delaying a probable 7 year old HR fault was because of the scare tatic used by ISP's implying that a large fee will be imposed if no fault found, I don't mind if the fee is imposed for an internal EU fault because these days with all the help that is given this should not happen anymore.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:49:19 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »

I think there's a point, when there are enough users, that you can forget about the behaviour of individual end-users. The stats alone become significant, simply because they average over enough separate lines (and separate people).

The whole statistical theory behind telecoms - courtesy of Erlang - is what drives the provisioning strategy, and determines what investment to make where, and ultimately whether profits are made.

Once there are enough FTTC subscribers, the statistics behind call-out rates, fix rates, and fault rates are bound to tell a story. We'll never hear it, of course :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]