Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Line Fault under ADSL2+ - Prior to FTTC Install  (Read 13249 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Line Fault under ADSL2+ - Prior to FTTC Install
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »

And a wee bit of Radio frequency Interference on tone 211 (909 Khz)

Which will be Radio 5.

I think it is effect of HR fault, it is merely apparent Radio frequency Interferece.

Looking in detail at those spikes on the QLN, I see they are at 211, 252 and 282 - mapping to stations on 909kHz, 1089kHz and 1215kHz.

According to this radio page provided by Kitz, it looks like I could be being hit by transmissions from Moorside Edge - which transmits these 3 stations (and only these 3) at pretty high power: 200kW, 400kW and 200kW respectively. That is about 40-50km away.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »

Wombat is completely correct in his comments.

If the ISP's port is built against the incorrect DSLAM/Cab, then there's nothing Openreach can do. Zilch, nada !!

A) We don't start running cables to different DP's fed from different Cab's just to suit a robotic routing tool (ROSE), plus it is a disciplinary action if found to do so.

B) We can't just ring someone up and mention that the VDSL is working at 'X' Cab, please move it to 'Y' Cab. The 'build' of the circuit takes long hours to achieve.

In a nutshell, it's the geography of Wombats premises that's thrown a spanner in the works. It's a shame, but it's not the end of the world, just a lot of frustration. Either way .... 10 or 100mtrs, it's not going to affect your circuit in any noticeable way. I sincerely hope todays visit is successful ?  :) :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »

I agree that it sounds like a HR fault - the upstream SNRm is displaying typical behaviour for either HR fault or faulty filter.

Your symptoms sound remarkably similar to the fault I had which ironically started the day after I'd started migration from adsl2+ (Be) to fttc (Plusnet).  Because I'd just started the migration process there was little I could do, and I was half hoping it would clear when fttc got connected.

I didnt have QLN & Hlog from my adsl2+ line, but from what I can recall the SNRm behaviour looked very similar

Symptoms were all the same as you mentioned except this one

Occasionally, the upstream SNRM can start a period of erratic drops. No obvious trigger nor end; can trigger a resync.

I found that people phoning me could trigger this off - I only realised later when I'd tie up a message time on the ansa phone, but its possible that someone like my parents could have rung, as they seldom if ever leave a message. I'd also find that for no reason, the upstream SNRm would sometimes start to slide, sometimes I could bring the upstream SNRm back up by dialling out and then replacing the receiver.

Once fttc was installed things werent much better, so BT duly called out.  First was no fault found because my SNRm was so high (16db) so that it was sufficient to mostly stop the line dropping when the phone range.  Because the line mostly stayed in sync then it was considered acceptable.  I persisted with the fault because the upstream SNRm was mostly swinging between 1dB and 16dB and now only occasionally dropping the line.

To cut a long story short 2nd engineer found a corroded terminal in my BT66, this cleared a small v notch in my hlog & SNRm stopped the wild fluctuations, but I still continued to get the loss of about 12db on the upstream every time the phone was in use, but BT found this acceptable because the line would only drop a couple of times a week.   Eventually it got a lot worse and voice started to be affected too. Then an engineer found a faulty NTE which corrected things for a while...  It was only when voice degraded to unacceptable level that they gave me a new d-side.

Sorry this is shorter than it could be, I have graphs somewhere, but Ive been up since 5.30 to take dad to hospital.  Im awaiting a call before I have to shoot back out.  But the whole tale and graphs are in a thread somewhere here

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 04:10:03 PM »

Thanks Kitz - I'll digest this some more when I don't have to concentrate on school stuff for my daughter, and look up your previous experiences.

I sincerely hope todays visit is successful ?  :) :)

My expectations were pretty low, and were met entirely. A morning of waiting turned into a no-show.

It seems that Wholesale cancelled the order sometime between Tuesday afternoon (when it was checked by Plusnet staff) and Wednesday morning.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »

:no: :'(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »

is it concerning plusnet dont find out about cancellations until the end user informs them? you not alone on this scenario.

you would think they would get some kind of automated alert or something.

and of course why do BTw/openreach cancel appointments?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »

Until we get the facts, we will never know ??? I don't think it's done out of devilment though ?  ;) :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »

It is concerning for Plusnet that they don't have an automated monitor for this. However, I've learnt, and adapted accordingly ... PN get regular requests from me to just check that an appointment is still in place prior to the appointment day.

Must adapt further, and check *on* the day too.

Why it was cancelled is unclear. One of the earlier orders was also cancelled ... but that happened just after someone at BTW updated it to get PN to ask me for an appointment date. You've got to assume that fat fingers can happen anywhere...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »

New order placed, and an installation due tomorrow... And yes, it was double-checked yesterday and triple-checked again today  :-X

The line was truly horrible over the weekend, with the modem dropping and failing to sync on a few occasions. It wasn't helped by PN having a CHAP authentication fault going on at the same time.

I'm going to have to mention the likelihood of the fault to the engineer; any advice on making it more detectable by him? I suspect the best advice is to not use the phone beforehand, so no current gets sent through any iffy joints. However, I bet he tries calling before he makes changes at the cab...

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »

How are your expectations for FTTC installation this time, Good Medium or Low ?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »

When an order is placed, if the test systems detect a fault on your line the task will be built as an IFTTC5 task. There will be a note on the task for the engineer to complete the 'Managed Install' and also repair the line fault.
If it hasn't detected anything (such as a HR), then it will be presented to the engineer as an IFTTC2 task.

You are then in the lap of the gods as to how the job pans out.  :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

I'm pretty confident that the build will be to the right cab now, so I'm in the lap of the scheduling gods right now! Hopes at medium, as we're nearly half way through the morning shift...

PN did a line test just before placing the order, and it came out OK (shame, given how bad the line has been since).

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

All up and running here now, with full 80/20 speeds, 98/32 attainable on a DSLAM that has over 100 of the 200 connections to the FTTC cab in use (not sure if that means over 50 D-side connections or over 100).

The HR fault didn't turn up in the test that Plusnet did prior to order, nor within the test done when building the order, nor in the line test done by the attending (Kellys) engineer prior to starting work. However, a "Potential HR joint fault" did turn up in the line test he did after the connection.

The good news is that the VDSL2 connection is showing none of the disturbances that the ADSL2+connection did: No variation of the SNRM when a handset is picked up, even when left until howler kicks in, nor for an incoming call.

In ADSL2+, there were heaps of errors downstream all the time - and loads upstream when the HR fault made its presence felt. In VDSL2 there is almost nothing at all - less than 4 ES/hr.

Not sure what to do about the HR fault now. No disturbance to broadband, and not audible on voice calls. But a test has finally shown something.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »

That probably means that the HR fault is on the E side and therefore not affecting the broadband connection now you have FTTC.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »

And I had everything crossed that could be crossed for that to be the case. I haven't uncrossed them yet  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3