Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice re problem with phone/FTTC line  (Read 6646 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Advice re problem with phone/FTTC line
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 12:01:59 PM »

Assuming that it may not get fixed anytime soon would you think that a different modem/router to the HH5 might hold on better on the line?

The HH5's dont have the best of reputations for holding line stability.  There was a definite issue at one time where they were known to drop out for no reason.  I dont know if theyve fixed this or not yet.  You may find that a Broadcom based modem/router will give you a bit more sync speed and stability, but it won't be able to cure the symptoms displayed in your last graph. :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

captainkirk

Re: Advice re problem with phone/FTTC line
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »

Thanks Kitz - the problem is far from solved but it's so frustrating because unless the engineer arrives after its rained and before it dries out then we are getting nowhere!  I've taken on board what Newtronstar and Blacksheep say about the warmer weather so maybe it will be a question of waiting until then - hopefully the line will fail altogether  :)

I've read your other posts about the broadcom routers so I purchased an Huawei from an auction site and put it on yesterday.  The upstream noise margin is still going mad but it does seem to be holding on to the line better and the bonus is we've gained 2mbps in downstream speed (upstream is poor). 

If this does work out better I will invest in a modem/router all in one to save cables etc - is there one that you would recommend to match the Huawei 612 please?

Pages: 1 [2]

anything