Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Running with vista  (Read 22744 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Running with vista
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 12:51:18 AM »

Well I think I may have finally given up with Vista.

Last night I tried setting a shortcut into the "SendTo" settings, eventually when I finally found the SendTo folder, basically it kept saying "permission was not granted to go any further", it would not even allow me into the properties, so I could change it's settings.

Unlike XP where you just select show hidden Files and Folder, then create any shortcut you want, which would then be available on the context right click menu.

So until forced to, I will be staying with XP.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »

I have heard that the permissions in Vista are a nightmare... all part of the microsoft strategy of taking the control away from the user, which started with XP, but XP is fine once you have it tamed.  I like to be in control of my PC and not have windows trying to think for me, but I suspect that Windows 7 is likely to be an even more dumbed down version that what Vista is.

So until forced to, I will be staying with XP.

Wise decision.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

paul-49

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 04:37:11 AM »

So until forced to, I will be staying with XP

well said
I think most of us started out with windows 95, the 98, then me, then xp, but vista has to be the worse one yet to work with(saying that 'me' comes very close as being the all time worse OP ever)
windows me would crash at anything, you press the wrong key it would crash, printed something=crash, cough=crash, call it a bad name=crash, it really did not need a excuse to crash

vista is mad, its like you want to try it, you are tempted, but when you do the only bit of sanity you had left goes, its does look nice, with its sidebar and aero but why why why won't anything work with it,

Ps, it is now my day off, and guess what, I can't sleep, so any spelling mistakes don't blame me, its dark ;)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »

Windows ME or SE ?

Personally I always found SE very easy to get on with, without too many problems or crashes.
(please note I did say "without too many problems")

ME, now thats another story, problem after problem, OK, when first installed it would find drivers for you that with SE you had to either install yourself or go hunting for, so yes, it did at first seem a better OS choice.
Although friends of mine swore by it and would not use SE.

However that was years ago, but recently after trying it again, no problems, so I think with the first set of updates it managed to fix the bugs within itself.

Mr Gates, it's my PC and if I want to alter something that may or may not effect the running there of, then that is my choice and not yours.  :P

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

Windows ME was a different beast to Windows 98 SE - SE was the second edition of Windows 98 and basically fixed most things that were wrong with Windows 98 when it was first released.

IMHO Win 98SE was probably the best balance between stability and functionality of the 9x line (which include 95, 98, 98SE and ME). I think they tried to put too much NT-based code into Windows ME, and when this went wrong, the core operating system wasn't powerful or stable enough to cope.

So ME was great if all your drivers were 110% well behaved... otherwise it was very unforgiving.

Having said that I know someone in particular who had problem after problem with Win98 / 98SE and got on just fine with ME, so... obviously depends on individual circumstances / hardware / drivers etc!
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 05:34:20 AM »

The best description I ever heard of ME was that it was like a 98 body on an NT chassis.  I loved 98SE, apart from it being prone to crashing, and IMO any of the 9x series was infinitely better than win3.x.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:36:52 AM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »

I used ME for 6 years and didn,t find much wrong with it.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

Exactly! Out of interest, UB, did it come preinstalled on a PC you bought new?
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 08:54:19 AM »

Yes it did mr chris,It was a dell PC bought may 2001.Not long after that it went to XP.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

Ah, cuz installs of OEM ME are the only ones I've seen that were in any way stable... either something to do with the OEM version of ME or the drivers that the manufacturers make sure are 100% compatible.

Although, the one I'm thinking of was a self-build with an OEM install of ME. Maybe they got lucky with drivers there too?
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »

I found ME better than 98SE.

Faster boot times, more reliable (in my experience), far better USB support and some better hardware support, otherwise very much the same, but I preferred ME myself.

(At the time we had two family computers - one was ME and one was 98SE - both straight forward OEM versions)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »

Ive used ME on a brand new self build with the OEM version of ME which ran sweet as a nut for many years.

I also put it on a couple  low spec - " bodge_together_with_whatever_spare_parts_you have_lying_around" type PCs.. 
one of them was particularly having probs with 98 networking and worked fine with an "upgrade copy of ME".

During about 2000-2003 I also upgraded quite a few PCs on behalf of others to ME from 98 - none of which I had a problem with.

I know some people really did seem to have ME problems and slagged it off - but it wasnt anything I ever personally saw.

Yet Vista on the otherhand ...............

(to be fair I have very limited experience with Vista)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything