Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Running with vista  (Read 22745 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Running with vista
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »

Thanks Paul

I do have v2.59.47.155 but have never used it, yours looks good, so will have to give it a try, especially being able to create multi DVDs which can be a pain doing them one by one (as with all the stallone I just completed)

Is that processor monitor part of it (to the right of the screen)?

Sorry back on track!
What did you think of the dual boot theory for the scanner?

paul-49

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »

not sure about dual boot. like I said I do a lot of video editing/converting, so the less programs on the PC the better, keeps it nice and fast. I have another PC running XP so I will connect the scanner to that.
the more I use vista the more I like it(thought I would never say that)
just got IE7 right now. got 5 tabs open at the same time, so you can flick to say e-bay. check e-mails and so on.
but another program Im having problems with is easy cd creator 7. I only use it to make audio cd's/mp3's, but for some odd reason it won't add songs to the list???? so another thing to get working ;)

The processor monitor  is a little program that runs on the vista side bar. you can pick loads of different ones
http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=f5b13626-b266-4334-b2e5-157bd66ca5af

get them here
http://vista.gallery.microsoft.com/vista/SideBar.aspx?mkt=en-gb

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 09:52:48 PM »

Thanks,
Since my last post, my 2nd PC just froze, 2 hours into transcoding a movie with Nero (22 minutes left)
But eventually had to do a "HARD" re-boot, followed by a Ghost recovery install. (although it does not usually take this long)

So tried my old version of TMPGEnc (2002) and it wanted, well it varied between 4 and 6 hours to convert a movie (avi) but to be honest I don't know what it was converting too, certainly not VOBs etc, so I'll now pass on that (for the time being at least)

OK, decided to run a disc check "about an hour ago" it is now at Stage 4 of 5 with the following message's:

"Deleting an index with entry Id 1678 from index $SII and $SDH file of 9.
followed by several other lines of text saying it's
Replacing invalid security id etc etc for files numbers etc etc.
Cleaning up 1199 unused index entries and Fixing mirror copy of security descriptors data stream.

So, "for the first time ever" it certainly did not like a hard boot this time.
(unless it's picked up a boot virus.

Although a normal AVG scan was done earlier today and did not spot anything.

Well, what can one say, except attach the HDD with USB gadget and re-format it from the other PC, because the BIOS no longer recognised the drive, re-Ghost Imaged backup, switched on and things seemed to be going quite well"

BUT, then my UPS unit started to bleep at me (only ever did it once before on overload) so switched most things off, but still bleeping bleeping at me, funny thought I, as by now there was nothing running at all, then in the distant background I could hear my other UPS bleeping away (and that has nothing plugged into it at all at the moment as it's only used on the laptop)  :-X

Ok by this time the UPS gives out as it does not last long, but it won't switch back on, okay, check the cut-out, no problem there. (Scratches head vigorously)

Needles to say by this time I'm getting a little agitated, then I'm thinking dirty power supply so it wont switch back on until it clears. (more head scratching)

Ah brain-wave, "look at the clock" NO TIME display, so check the house breaker.
Yes you guessed it, bleeping breaker had tripped out.  :lol:

NEXT!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:39:00 AM by oldfogy »

paul-49

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »

And I thought I was having problems because my easy cd creator did not work, :D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »

Thats life or so they say.

Well just to "possibly" compound things, I am now in the middle of installing Vista Ultimate, yes, likewise I have probably said something like "not in my lifetime" but what the heck, it keeps me of the streets for a while longer.

20% and going strong, (obviously I am on a different PC at the moment) can't stand watching paint dry.  :lol:
if all goes well, all I will probably need to do is sort out the dual booting bit, not that it will probably matter that much, as I don't tend to switch it on and off that much.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »

Have reverted back to XP.... and it works brilliantly on all fronts. Will leave Vista alone now for as long as I can forsee.

*Edit*

When I said reverted I did a partition format and installed XP from scratch, not that I had the option to uninstall Vista anyway and even if I did I wouldn't trust it to return to a working state.

I have three partitions - a main big one for Windows, programs and all that, a second one to keep drivers and installation files on and a third one I moved all that nasty dell system restoration stuff too.

The benefit of this was that once the partition was formatted I had Windows up and running again in literally minutes as I have recent versions of all my drivers and progs right there on the HDD to install immediately.
The closest thing to a perfect method for those of us who don't drive Imaging / ghosting software.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:24:31 PM by soms »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 12:20:03 AM »

Still playing with Vista at the moment, I put it on a second partition, so it dual boots, so like yourself no trouble to revert back after finished playing (investigating).

But to be honest I can't see myself staying with it.

Why...
To be honest, I don't really know for sure, yes it's different and things are awkward to find and get around, but that's because of not being use to it, and lets face it, we probably had the same problems when changing from W95/98/SE/SE but eventually we did get used to it.

One thing that does really bug me is the fact of that the CPU meter is constantly cutting in and running at 100% even when the PC is just sitting there

However, I have found the colours are more vivid, especially wallpapers etc! or again is that just because they are different from the ones we normally see.

At the moment I have only tried one program (VSO ConvertXtoDvd) of which still took around about the same time as normal to convert a movie. I did try Nero 8 at one stage but that was ridiculous the time it was going to take, but it did have a problem with installing (oh yes) which on three occasions took what seemed forever, (well out of order).

Back to my other PC (the one with the problem above)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it  :lol:

So I decided to put in a bigger power supply to try and resolve a problem I have had for a looong time.
Basically, when the PC is switched off and back on at the mains, something wants to try and start-up, with the silly neon case lights flashing on and off every second or so and a small thumping noise like a relay or something trying to cut-in until the a PC is actually started properly.

Okay, new 650 watt power supply collected and fitted.
Unfortunately this PC is not just a simple one HDD and one optical drive job. (8 drives in total) so arranging all the power leads "neat and tidy" takes a little while. (I like perfection)
Only to find out that the new supply will not work  ???
Replace the old supply and no problem, so the MB has not gone.

NEXT

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »

OF - i use DVDSanta for ripping avis to dvd vobs, seems to be the simplest and quickest:

http://www.dvdsanta.com/

Paul

paul-49

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »

I am going mad?? I posted a reply this morning and now its gone, I did a screen shot of a program and posted it
anyway back to vista, it is now begining to annoy me, I am putting all of my programs back on, only to find not many work, my old Favorite photosuite 3(photo editing program) will not work,yes I know its old but it is very good
still the epson ink monitor will not work
tried nero 8 this morning, did not like it so took it off,
I just want a program that will mix mp3's just like easy creator 7 did
I am now at the conclusion that vista is a waste of time, yes it looks good, but it not good if half your programs don't even work, so I think its bye bye to vista for a while, and welcome back my old pal XP,

Paul

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »

I am using roxio easy creator 9 on vista home premium.It works fine,but when I first got the pc last april I had to download the lastest drivers.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »

>> I am going mad??

It's called the 'Vista effect' ;D
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »

This really is the end of my saga (honest)
But just to update on the new 650 watt power supply (changing from a 500 watt).

Went back to the shop this time also with PC in hand.
New power supply tried and still not working, tried it both on a test PC and another PC and it worked fine.  ;D

Replaced back into my PC and nothing.  :no:
Replaced my own original 500 watt power supply and it still works.  :-\

I have just checked the "original" power supply that came with the PC before it had it's first upgrade and it was only a 250 watt supply, so I don't know and I have to admit defeat and leave it alone.

Conclusion:
My MB just does not like the higher wattage supply for some reason.
Although as previously mentioned, there is a annoying little problem which only started after the first upgrade which apart from a new case also included the current 500 watt supply.

The End... (If it ain't broke, Don't fix it)  :lol:

Back to Vista.

If using the File and Transfer wizard to transfer files and settings from XP to Vista.
Make sure you use the Vista transfer wizard and not the XP version in XP.

You would need to use either the Vista disc or select the option from the Vista PC and copy the wizard program over to the XP PC first, as the two wizards are not compatible.

paul-49

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »

I am back, running XP again and life is so much better now, programs work, some day off this was, spent most of the day swearing at the PC, well swearing at vista,
I have kept vista on a spare hard drive and will keep going back to it, checking to see if I can get updates for my programs, but for now I am happy again

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »

Likewise as yourself I will keep going back and having a play with Vista.
But possibly don't think I will stick with it (although who knows)

I thought about trying it as an upgrade to see how many of my existing programs will actually continue to work. The thought being that it may recognise them easier to update them.

Although so-far I have only tried a couple of programs (one of which was not successful) kg prob so not a program fault as such, but I did find it took a looong time to load.

Also, my graphics card was unable to be recognised or updated, so I pointed Vista update toward the XP driver folderon the other partition/drive, (but you may have to find where the driver is located first) it then found and upgraded the card without any problem.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:13:21 PM by oldfogy »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »

In my experience most of my programs worked OK, bar a select few but it was the clumsy interface, performance issues and so on which got me down.

I do like the developments in security and whilst all those warnings and confirmations can be repetitive they do serve a good purpose.

Another gripe was not being unable to remove all those Windows applications which have sprung up such as Windows Calender, Mail, Media Center, etc

My PC has a noisy graphics card and the fan speed is controlled by the Nvidia drivers in Windows.
When XP loads up and the driver takes control it is lovely and quiet until you decide crank up a game or a DVD.

In Vista even doing something as extreme as opening Virtual PC 2007 would have the fan going up a gear (which doesn't happen in XP).

I am not purposely trying to put Vista down, it has some good points, but it is the first time I have found myself disappointed with a new Windows release. (Without going off topic I am interested in Windows Home Server - I might create a new topic somewhere)
Pages: 1 [2] 3