Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Running with vista  (Read 22747 times)

paul-49

Running with vista
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »

Since my last post vista or xp. I am now running with vista for now, to be honest, its just like xp with more fancy stuff added, one thing that I wonder about is the lack of drivers to be had, my graphics card is still not right(it only at 1024x678)with xp it was 1280x980(or something like that) and it look right on the screen,
1024x678 does not look right on a 19" widescreen monitor

the HP scanner still does not work, and the epson printer is working but will not show the ink monitor(so not sure how much ink is left) I am going to get a new graphics card today(to hopfully fix the 1024x678 issue,only running the onboard graphics card which was fine in XP)
If someone asked me today, which one XP or vista, I would have to say XP everytime

Paul  ;)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Running with vista
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »

Have you tried going on the relevant websites and seeing if there are drivers for vista to download.I had to do this for my HP photoprinter,and my logitec k/b and mouse.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »

Yes I also reloaded the Vista DVD which came with the PC... not sure if is was worth the effort yet.

My main problem is with performance. Vista seems to run lots of background tasks which chew up the hard drive bringing anything else to a grinding halt. It is also a lot slower off the mark than XP, but once running and idle, the performance is very good.

I am running it using the Windows Classic theme as it is the only way I can stand to use it. I really don't like the Aero or Aero basic interfaces, espcailly on my 15" 1024x768 monitor.

I also managed to make Vista blue screen - the way I achieved this way to install ZoneAlarm Pro firewall whilst I was streaming music over the network in iTunes.  :lol:

I do quite like the new security changes though, so now you dont have the downsides of running as a standard user or the risks of running as an administrator all the time.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »

A word of caution to anyone thinking of buying a new PC then replacing Vista with XP.
XP drivers are not available for some on-board or PCI cards.

So you may need to bare that in mind, also check how many PCI/PCI express slots are fitted, only on some/most new mainboards there are not very may, "2 or 3 only"

I have tried various resolutions on my flat panel 19" monitors, but to be honest 1024x768 always looks the best, any of the higher settings just makes everything too small.

Obviously only time will tell before even we XP die-hards transfer to Vista, but people are buying new PCs who have never owned or had little use of a PC before have the advantage of not knowing the difference between the two systems, therefore they just get on with it as the norm.
We on the other hand, do not like changes.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »

Paul,
Which model HP scanner do you have that is not working?
Is your problem with the HP Director not opening because that was a bug with IE7 when it first came out. There was a script to work-round it, then HP came out with an update.
dave

paul-49

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »

My scanner is a HP scanjet 2100, I have been to the HP website, but it says that my scanner is not supported for vista
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01123715&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=59554&lang=en#

some good news, the new graphics card is working a treat, its set at 1280x720 and fits well on the screen, just need to connect it up to the HDTV so I can watch high definition videos I have downloaded, so have to give vista a plus point for that

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:18:58 PM »

Well its a little dissapointing about the scanner. It is hardly antique hardware but it seems quite alot is not supported on Vista.

Of course microsoft would remind us that it is up to the hardware manufacturer to create the device drivers, although both parties are really at fault as microsoft has adapted plenty of drivers in the past (those ones that appear as being from Microsoft in Device Manager).

I have a Belkin USB infrared adapter and that isn't supported by Vista, even though it is such a relatively simple device using a standardised interface (like with your scanner).

Ah well, there is no point in moaning so much as we cant do anything about it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »

Are you able to run it in XP compatible mode?

I believe Vista has that capability built into it also.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »

Vista, like XP has a compatibility mode for software programs (though many which worked fine on XP will still not install or work).

Unfortunately this doesn't extend to hardware support. With XP it was either a matter of running an installation wizard and connecting a device (e.g. printer, scanner etc) or simply plugging it straight in. With XP things like my USB adapter were instantly recognised, a standard driver loaded and it worked.

With Vista, even if the installer can be pursuaded to run, when the device is connected it will not be recognised, and XP drivers wont work as the changes are too great (when XP first came out and drivers were scarce some hardware would work with 2000 drivers since it was very similar)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »

Would it be worth your while creating a dual boot system, even if it's only to be able to use your scanner, so not much work involved with loading too many programs ?

At least that way you should be able to get the best of both worlds without having to replace the scanner.
I'm not sure, but I believe XP can be loaded after Vista.

paul-49

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 05:43:12 AM »

I have just adjusted the setting again. now the monitor is at 1280x800, with XP I just plugged the scanner in and XP found the drivers and it worked fine, I will connect the scanner to the laptop when I need it(laptop running xp)
I have notice one thing, I convert a lot of films from avi to dvd, now with XP converting would take just over an hour(700MB to 4.3GB) with vista just under 40 minutes, which suppose is another plus for vista

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »

not had chance to check but take a look at this :

http://www.hamrick.com/

Paul

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »

I have notice one thing, I convert a lot of films from avi to dvd, now with XP converting would take just over an hour(700MB to 4.3GB) with vista just under 40 minutes, which suppose is another plus for vista
Now thats very interesting, as it's one of the reasons I was thinking of giving Vista a try.
Which program are you using please, if Nero then also which version, 6, 7 or 8?

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

if Nero then also which version, 6, 7 or 8?

btw Nero 6 is incompatible with Vista. I bought Nero 7 and some features that worked great on XP, such as Nero ImageDrive don't appear on my vista install  :no:

It seems for Nero, complete compatibility is only achieved with version 8.

paul-49

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »

I am using a program called TMPGEnc, have used it for over 2 years, its small and simple, does the job everytime, I sometimes convert 3-4 films set it going at night time, when its finished it turns the PC of for you, then you need TMPGEnc dvd author to put the converted films on to disc which takes around 10 minutes, you can let it run in the back ground, or set to use all the cpu+memory power to convert faster(like I have in the picture)if you send me a pm I will tell you where you can get it from
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything