Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommendations  (Read 10421 times)

Re: Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »

Never thought I'd find myself saying this but Sky meet your criteria - although as always there are caveats :

1) Support is fine as long as you call between 0900-1800 although you might have to deal with the Bulgarians (the ex-Be* support people) if you have Sky Broadband Pro (the 80/20 service). If you call at busy times then support is probably useless but that's more or less the same everywhere;

2) You can turn static IP on or off at the "My Broadband Pro" control panel but I think you'd end up banging your head against a brick wall if you require custom rdns - I could be wrong though;

3) Its not cheap at £30/month but it is just as reliable as when Easynet ran things;

4) It has connections to Murdoch - doesn't bother me as I just assume all CEOs are self-serving gits anyway.

5) You will have to switch your phone to Sky & that will mean you're on a fully LLU'd service - jumpers at the exchange do have to be moved so its not just a billing change.

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 07:32:43 PM »

Post office line rental (wlr3) & aaisp home 1
[Post office always comes first on mse website polls for customer service for line rental.]

No Contract tie in on the Post office wrl3 line rental & a "relatively" short 6m on aaisp home1 fttc

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:46 PM »

http://www.sse.co.uk/GasAndElectricity/ https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services/fixed-price-1-year#13 and i'm sure that some of the others also will charge you an exit fee should you decide to switch min term  as if you choose a fixed price that won't be increased for the duration of the contract  they will charge you unless they say otherwise in the t&c's  which you agree to when you sign up , just as you do for bb,

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »

Never thought I'd find myself saying this but Sky meet your criteria - although as always there are caveats :

1) Support is fine as long as you call between 0900-1800 although you might have to deal with the Bulgarians (the ex-Be* support people) if you have Sky Broadband Pro (the 80/20 service). If you call at busy times then support is probably useless but that's more or less the same everywhere;

2) You can turn static IP on or off at the "My Broadband Pro" control panel but I think you'd end up banging your head against a brick wall if you require custom rdns - I could be wrong though;

3) Its not cheap at £30/month but it is just as reliable as when Easynet ran things;

4) It has connections to Murdoch - doesn't bother me as I just assume all CEOs are self-serving gits anyway.

5) You will have to switch your phone to Sky & that will mean you're on a fully LLU'd service - jumpers at the exchange do have to be moved so its not just a billing change.

Sky was pretty good on ADSL2 plus I was part of the Skyuser Forum team years ago and one member had a friend at Easynet that could 'tweak' your connection. Providing I don't get sucked in to the TV package again they might also be worth looking at. However I'm a little reluctant to be stuck using Skys router.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:48:25 PM by simoncraddock »
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »

Looks like Zen will most likely get my business....... and never really had any issues with service or support.

Zen is still a fine choice if you do pop back. Noticed Zen are also now including a broadcom based TG589vn....
[I wonder if Plusnet is taking note? ;)

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »

The Sky router is fine provided you don't use the wireless (which is appalling, reason why becomes very clear when you see inside the box) and don't require any static routes to be defined by it. Apart from that its rock-solid. Oh one more slightly annoying thing is that it truncates syslog output in strange ways from time to time.

I've been trying to get the family to drop Sky TV for a while but all that failed & I now have a Netflix account as well which they won't let me drop  ::)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything