Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommendations  (Read 10422 times)

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
Recommendations
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »

My BT Infinity2 contract ends in a few months and I'm looking for a new ISP & line supplier.

My requirements are very small...

80/20 FTTC service
Line Rental < £16.99
Free Caller ID
UK Support, that listen to the customer

Any recommendations based on experience welcome.
I'm tired of flogging the dead horse when contacting BT due to it using Indian based call centres.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:02:08 PM by simoncraddock »
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Re: Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »

Post office line rental (wlr3) & aaisp home 1
[Post office always comes first on mse website polls for customer service for line rental.]

Zenisp is the other popluar option.
Zen have cheap call rates but don't allow overriders [18185 ect]

Shame I carn't add plusnet , but they have a host of issues to resolve first. :-[

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »

Zen Internet? Cheaper home phone line rental for sure. Not sure if their FTTC packages would be cheap enough though - but I always believe you get what you pay for.

I don't use my landline for anything except certain incoming calls or if by the off chance my PBX fails (online VoIP phone calls, as they are much cheaper call rates).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:24:19 PM by Ixel »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »

Post office line rental (wlr3) & aaisp home 1
[Post office always comes first on mse website polls for customer service for line rental.]

Zenisp is the other popluar option.
Zen have cheap call rates but don't allow overriders [18185 ect]

Shame I carn't add plusnet , but they have a host of issues to resolve first. :-[

When enquired about the use of overriders i was after not being given clear /correct info fist time, was eventually told that they in fact to allow this , also you don't have to take a calling plan , but would have to pay for Caller ID
I'm giving zen some serious consideration but for FTTC 80/20 only i'm currently with plusnet, zen don't charge a activation fee for incoming FTTC migrations as long as you have a modem that isn't locked to your current isp
Plusnet I believe still are still charging the £50 fee for installation if you take FTTC only even when there is no installation work needed or performed by BT infact it costs them around £11 for migrations of this type
zen is £34.50 per month for FTTC 80/20 (FTTC only) but they reduce this by £4.50 if you also take line rental, which is around£15-16 per month with FTTC not the cheaper price £12 that they charge for line rental only or with ADSL bb products

I'm waiting to see which ISP will be first to start offering a 1 mth min term for FTTC ,(to those who migrate who have had an active FTTC service for 12mths or over) because BT openreach no longer are holding ISP's ransom to a 12mth min term for those inter FTTC migrations that qualify , So far none appear to be passing this on

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »

....enquired about the use of overriders i was after not being given clear /correct info fist time, was eventually told that they in fact to allow this , also you don't have to take a calling plan , but would have to pay for Caller ID.

It seems to a gray* area on new sign up's on [ zen's PoP] home Unlimited Fibre /phone products  that don't allow overiders.
Maybe Azzaka could clarify the the issue for the  updated 12/2014 onwards product(s)?

*[If you don't opt for the phone & pay the extra its no issue ,or was the case when last there]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:03:01 PM by HighBeta »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »

Looks like Zen will most likely get my business. I was a customer many years ago when ADSL first came out and never really had any issues with service or support.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »

I have found TalkTalk Business fine and if you use all of the complete package good value but I guess it is just a UK support based version of their home offering. TT do have presence in my exchange and traffic on TBB is prioritized over TT home.

I was suspicious of Zen as they don't have a local presence in my exchange or very nearby.  Had Zen got a local presence in my exchange then I would have seen them as the best but dearer choice.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »

I'm with AAisp on ADSL.Cannot fault this company.Their support is superb.Not the cheapest by any means but as most things in life quaility comes at a cost.
You have your own online portal where you can do everything to your connection your little heart desires.. ;D

You can contact them in all the usual ways and the response is very quick..Phone,email,Twitter,Facebook,text message...Only thing missing is carrier pigeon. ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »

Only thing missing is carrier pigeon.

I think there's an app for that.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »

Don't be in a hurry to leave BT ISP if the contract has ended you will be on a monthly rolling contract with them and you have plenty of time to compare the ISP's

I'm in the same situation as you and Plusnet does not look good as it used to, and tbh the prices look the same to me, I just don't know why they hook you into 18 or a 12 month contract these days.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »

Because they are greedy some more than others

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 12:36:29 AM »

Imagine your electic or gas provider locked you into an 18 or 12 month contact that would put the shivers up the current Conservative Party so i don't see why telecommunication/ISP provider should be any different  >:(

And I'll have another poke at ISP's why o why are your not eligible as a new customer when your contract ends ! that says it all.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:14:40 AM by NewtronStar »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:25 AM »

Imagine your electic or gas provider locked you into an 18 or 12 month contact that would put the shivers up the current Conservative Party so i don't see why telecommunication/ISP provider should be any different  >:(
They will normally lock you in to a 12-18mth contract  if they are giving you a service at a cheaper rate for a certain lenght of time, ie cashbacks. 6mths free or half price ect, they used to use the openreach instal fees as an excuse to re coup their costs, well they don't have any significant costs for inter FTTC migrations anymore (providing the eu has a FTTC modem that isnt locked to a specific provider) ie BT openreach modem or their own, as said  openreach aren't charging them for 12mthsmin term either, So the only reason some still are charging an install/activation fee  like they would for a new FTTC connection, and not passing on the rolling monthly contract terms is greed IMO

You energy suppliers will want you to comit to a 12/24mth min term if you choose a fixed price tarrif , which sometimes will include gift vouchers ect ,  and will sometimes charge an exit fee should you switch to another company mid term,  but they also provide a standard price tarrif, that has no min term

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 01:23:47 AM »

your energy suppliers will want you to comit to a 12/24mth min term if you choose a fixed price tarrif , which sometimes will include gift vouchers ect ,  and will sometimes charge an exit fee should you switch to another company mid term,  but they also provide a standard price tarrif, that has no min term

No you can leave anytime without exit fee, the standard/fixed price may fall or rise but you are not in any contract and if your provider says any different go straight to ofcom complaints department.
Pages: [1] 2