Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Download speed driving me insane, talktalk useless, after some help please  (Read 22847 times)

Tekno

Re: Download speed driving me insane, talktalk useless, after some help please
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »

The settings on the HG612 leave well alone, as they're already configured for you :)

It's in bridge mode, so your Asus router will be doing all the routing, firewalling etc.

TR069 will be disabled by default if you unlocked with one of the new Firmwares with GUI. You can re-enable it though, check the thread here and there's instructions.

TR069 is what enables the BTAgent, BT's own software to update the modem firmware, I personally have it switched on for mine, as you will normally not loose telnet access from a remote firmware upgrade. And with the introduction of vectoring soon, and g.inp rolling out, firmware (may) be pushed to these modems. Probably not, but maybe.

The error count in the gui is incredible unreliable tbh, do a quick telnet for an idea on the error count:

Code: [Select]
telnet {modemip}
User admin
Password admin
> sh
xdslcmd info --stats

Hi Jamie,

I used the latest firmware from link provided so yes it's disabled by default TR069 that is, i couldn't tell at first but can see it is now, I wasn't paying attention. I have left everything well alone not change a settings except LAN IP :)

Here's the stats from telnet

Can i ask as a little confused, i logged into modem via gui and changed the default login password for the modem as i do with my router, however when using telnet in terminal i noticed the password was default admin for modem, i take it telnet uses a different password to the one used to login to gui ? should i change the telnet password and if so how? i take it i should for security purposes?

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:24:45 PM by Tekno »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »

It's a little oddity of the HG612 that changing the password in the GUI doesn't change the telnet password. I don't know of a way to change the telnet password, but I guess it may be possible.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »

The HG612's own GUI mis-reports CRC & FEC error counts.

The true error counts are indeed obtained via xdslcmd info --stats via telnet and once you get Windows 8.1 installed, you will be able to use the HG612 Modem Stats and/or DSLStats programs for fully automated stats logging/graphing.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »

On the modem settings, you could try turning off the QoS feature if it is on. Even though the modem has no QoS rules, merely having the setting on causes an upstream speed reduction of around 1.5Mbps on a 20Mbps profile. I don't know if it will have a pro-rata effect on a 2Mbps profile, though.

Your line has a couple of interesting features otherwise...

DLM normally intervenes on a line by setting the INP" and "delay" parameters; settings of zero would indicate no intervention, while the typical first-level of intervention would set INP=3.0 and delay=8ms. However, your line has an odd setting of INP=0.0 and delay=1ms.

The modems have responded during the sync, and set a small amount of interleaving, and have set FEC to use around 25% of your line's bandwidth as noise protection.

I wonder if this setting has been selected because your line has so much capacity to spare, with you synced at 40Mbps, while 80Mbps is available. Your line looks to have few errors, and doesn't look to be one that would interest DLM.

Tekno

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »

It's a little oddity of the HG612 that changing the password in the GUI doesn't change the telnet password. I don't know of a way to change the telnet password, but I guess it may be possible.

hmm very odd, maybe a bug or something as it's quite a security flaw i guess  ???

The HG612's own GUI mis-reports CRC & FEC error counts.

The true error counts are indeed obtained via xdslcmd info --stats via telnet and once you get Windows 8.1 installed, you will be able to use the HG612 Modem Stats and/or DSLStats programs for fully automated stats logging/graphing.

Yay! Windows 8.1 fully installed, updated etc, so far I got dslstats running, also got an account created etc at mydslwebstats, my name is Tekno on mydslwebstats ;D hopefully this is going to help. Everything looks mind boggling, wow i feel like some rite networking geek who not got a clue, so much stuff to look at, so confusing lol  ???

Will take a look at HG612 Modem Stats in a bit. Cheers for the recommendations :)

Everything has gone as smoothly as possible touch wood  :thumbs:

On the modem settings, you could try turning off the QoS feature if it is on. Even though the modem has no QoS rules, merely having the setting on causes an upstream speed reduction of around 1.5Mbps on a 20Mbps profile. I don't know if it will have a pro-rata effect on a 2Mbps profile, though.

Your line has a couple of interesting features otherwise...

DLM normally intervenes on a line by setting the INP" and "delay" parameters; settings of zero would indicate no intervention, while the typical first-level of intervention would set INP=3.0 and delay=8ms. However, your line has an odd setting of INP=0.0 and delay=1ms.

The modems have responded during the sync, and set a small amount of interleaving, and have set FEC to use around 25% of your line's bandwidth as noise protection.

I wonder if this setting has been selected because your line has so much capacity to spare, with you synced at 40Mbps, while 80Mbps is available. Your line looks to have few errors, and doesn't look to be one that would interest DLM.

Ok thanks, QoS is enabled so will disable as may upgrade to fibre large dependant on what happens, I am eager to upgrade to fibre large but not sure atm until i speak to a CEO and decide whether i switch or not, i would rather not but see what these stats show over time and then decide. What's odd although it shows in router and BT OR engineer confirmed it to i can get fibre large and get full download/uploads speeds, yet talktalk estimates on fibre large 41.25Mb download and 18Mb upload. Upload is not all that important as i rarely upload much. I am skeptical about paying an extra £5 for such a small increase, i don't get how they can estimate it so low when according to bt or engineer on his device which he showed me and my modem stats i should be able to get full 76Mb download and 19Mb upload  ???

Not got a clue what you said about the DLM etc, sorry lol, so new and all confusing, mind boggling to be fair  :o

Just got to say a huge thanks to everyone helping me get this far, i would have never done any of this otherwise. So glad i went ahead with it all  :)

Oh also when i connected it all up earlier i got an ip address begining with 9x instead of previous 8x and still using the same 9x. ip address so see if i get any dips in speed now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:20:35 PM by Tekno »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

I too will be trying the QoS trick as I'm loosing about 2mbps upload at the moment, thanks for this tip WWWombat!

Glad you've got everything up and running Paul. Line stats look very healthy for the Medium package  :)

Good thing with the Mydslwebstats.co.uk uploads are that if any issues do arise around the time of your slowdowns we can see them on the graphs etc.

As for the IP address change I'm most interested to see how it goes for you, touch wood on the 9x.xx ips I've never had trouble. Let us know how it goes?!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Tekno

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »

Glad you've got everything up and running Paul. Line stats look very healthy for the Medium package  :)

Thank you, a complete blur to me but will start learning hopefully, just taken most of day to do everything lol. I think i may upgrade to fibre large and see how it goes, TalkTalk give me terrible estimates as stated in post above but stats show i should be able to get the full download/upload on fibre large, BT OR engineer also showed me on his device yet TalkTalk estimate is awfully low and hesitant to pay extra £5 if it only increases download by approx 5Mb.

Good thing with the Mydslwebstats.co.uk uploads are that if any issues do arise around the time of your slowdowns we can see them on the graphs etc.

Will keep it running all the time when i'm logged into Windows.

As for the IP address change I'm most interested to see how it goes for you, touch wood on the 9x.xx ips I've never had trouble. Let us know how it goes?!

Me to, I will be keeping this thread updated :)

Not had time to run speed tests today but tomorrow will try at the times i usually get drops.

I look forward to seeing how it goes. :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:38:00 PM by Tekno »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »

Thank you, a complete blur to me but will start learning hopefully, just taken most of day to do everything lol. I think i may upgrade to fibre large and see how it goes, TalkTalk give me terrible estimates as stated in post above but stats show i should be able to get the full download/upload on fibre large, BT OR engineer also showed me on his device yet TalkTalk estimate is awfully low and hesitant to pay extra £5 if it only increases download by approx 5Mb.

Not had time to run speed tests today but tomorrow will try at the times i usually get drops.

Cheers
A note about the modem estimates, they don't take into account things like crosstalk.

Here's a simple explanation. Your SNR Margin is always aiming to be 6dB when the modem syncs. And currently its limited to 40mbps, so when the speed increases the SNR Margin will drop. You should see around maybe 50mbps plus on your connection. Using the BT Wholesale address checker will give you two estimates, a Clean and Impacted estimate. I usually go by the Impacted as it takes into account things like crosstalk.

One thing, DLM will intervene more when you move to Large, and the first few days you will see near top speed, but this will come down as the DLM sees it necessary to keep the line stable. On fibre medium there's lots of "spare"  snr margin to deal with any noise spikes. At 6dB there's less room to deal with spikes. This is often what causes error counts to increase.

My TalkTalk estimate was 44mbps on Large, and I see 65mbps, so I'd say go for it - the increased upload speed is superior!

Your stats will keep logging as long as Windows is running, ideally 24/7 uptime is preferred, but not a necessity as currently you seem to have no physical line fault to monitor. Have it running the times you've normally seen slowdowns to see how the line stats are affected. If they aren't then the network is likely the issue here - as we've assumed all along :)

Apologies for the long winded post, a lot to take in, but hopefully I've explained things for you to make sense of them?!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kind Regards
Jamie

Tekno

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »

Cheers
A note about the modem estimates, they don't take into account things like crosstalk.

Here's a simple explanation. Your SNR Margin is always aiming to be 6dB when the modem syncs. And currently its limited to 40mbps, so when the speed increases the SNR Margin will drop. You should see around maybe 50mbps plus on your connection. Using the BT Wholesale address checker will give you two estimates, a Clean and Impacted estimate. I usually go by the Impacted as it takes into account things like crosstalk.

One thing, DLM will intervene more when you move to Large, and the first few days you will see near top speed, but this will come down as the DLM sees it necessary to keep the line stable. On fibre medium there's lots of "spare"  snr margin to deal with any noise spikes. At 6dB there's less room to deal with spikes. This is often what causes error counts to increase.

My TalkTalk estimate was 44mbps on Large, and I see 65mbps, so I'd say go for it - the increased upload speed is superior!

Your stats will keep logging as long as Windows is running, ideally 24/7 uptime is preferred, but not a necessity as currently you seem to have no physical line fault to monitor. Have it running the times you've normally seen slowdowns to see how the line stats are affected. If they aren't then the network is likely the issue here - as we've assumed all along :)

Apologies for the long winded post, a lot to take in, but hopefully I've explained things for you to make sense of them?!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ah rite i see, i appreciate all the information it helps allot. I will take the plunge and upgrade :)

I just look at the BT Wholesale Address checker and it gave this.

Seems on par with talktalk estimate going by impacted and low and probably get more than that as you say.

Tekno

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »

Hey everyone,

I have done speed tests through out the day and not had any drops in download speed when i have done speed tests either i'm missing them or having an IP begining with 9x. is less congested and not causing download speeds to drop. I think so far having an IP address starting with 9x. is what is not causing my download speeds to drop, reason I say this is by this time of day (05:36PM) as of writing this I would have had multiple drops in download speed by now but none i have noticed so far, my Upstream rate = 2000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39994 Kbps never did change mind even when download speeds dropped so i don't rely on them i just use the speed checker exactly as i did before to replicate as it was prior to starting to diagnose etc.

I'm not upgrading my fibre to fibre large just yet, i'm leaving that for now, going to wait and see what this CEO manager has to say, maybe as a gesture of good will they could give me fibre large free for 12 months (£60 value) considering I've had to go out of my way in getting help and the costs of buying the HG612, new cables to help with diagnostics as talktalk was not interested in helping and the effects on my speed causing buffering when trying to watch youtube, netflix  :hmm:  :lol:

I've been running both dslstats and HG612 Modem Stats since yesterday and also downloaded as recommended from kitz  JackDinn's Auto Speed Tester, it's been testing ever 10 minutes and seems very consistent no drops, there was one which had 1% packet loss but that's nothing to flutter over i think, ping has been between 11-16 better than before where 17/24 was normal for me, not much but still slight improvement, 0% jitter. I've stayed logged into Windows so on mydslwebstats there will be a about 24 hours worth of data, no good for me at the moment as don't understand it but it's there anyway.

mydslwebstats:
Data is available from mydslwebstats (Tekno)

HG612 Modem Log Stats: (click to enlarge)

JackDinn's Results: (click to enlarge)

Very addicting watching the graphs, i'll have OCD at this rate  :lol:

So far I think everything is good.  Gracias  :)

Update: 7PM

Still no drops in download speed using speed tester and JackDinn's speed tester every 10 minutes, looking good going by just speed tests.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:13:09 PM by Tekno »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

Looking at the pbParams section of the HG612 Modem Log stats, I can see that the attenuation figures for your line look remarkably similar to my old line.

Over the course of 3 years on that line, from the very start of the 80/20 package availability, my line could manage full sync speeds of 80/20. The maximum available speed gradually dropped from around 90Mbps due to crosstalk, until, in the last 6 months, the top speeds were around 78Mbps or (on the occasion that DLM intervened) 72Mbps downstream, but still 20Mbps upstream.

The strange DLM setting for your line makes it hard to predict exactly what speed you'd get from a "large" package, but it looks like it would be nearer 70/20 speeds than 40/20.

talktalk estimates on fibre large 41.25Mb download and 18Mb upload ... I am skeptical about paying an extra £5 for such a small increase, i don't get how they can estimate it so low

Comparing what you wrote earlier against that BTW estimate, it is interesting to see that TT give you an estimate based on the bottom of the B range, while Plusnet's estimates seem to use the bottom of the A range. I wonder if this depends on whether the ISP uses self-install or engineer-install? Plusnet are still engineer-install, even on the lower speed packages.

Did TT supply your line on a self-install basis initially?

Tekno

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »

Looking at the pbParams section of the HG612 Modem Log stats, I can see that the attenuation figures for your line look remarkably similar to my old line.

Over the course of 3 years on that line, from the very start of the 80/20 package availability, my line could manage full sync speeds of 80/20. The maximum available speed gradually dropped from around 90Mbps due to crosstalk, until, in the last 6 months, the top speeds were around 78Mbps or (on the occasion that DLM intervened) 72Mbps downstream, but still 20Mbps upstream.

The strange DLM setting for your line makes it hard to predict exactly what speed you'd get from a "large" package, but it looks like it would be nearer 70/20 speeds than 40/20.

talktalk estimates on fibre large 41.25Mb download and 18Mb upload ... I am skeptical about paying an extra £5 for such a small increase, i don't get how they can estimate it so low

Comparing what you wrote earlier against that BTW estimate, it is interesting to see that TT give you an estimate based on the bottom of the B range, while Plusnet's estimates seem to use the bottom of the A range. I wonder if this depends on whether the ISP uses self-install or engineer-install? Plusnet are still engineer-install, even on the lower speed packages.

Did TT supply your line on a self-install basis initially?

The line was put in 2 yeas ago when i moved my talktalk services from old property which was literally just a few streets away along with a VDSL socket so all new, when i first moved in to property BT came with an ECI modem when activating my services but that was it basically as talktalk was not issuing super routers then and it was all newly installed by BT OR.

I can only think TalkTalk are giving me worst estimates that i could get at the worst time of day when fibre is being shared more, that way I guess people could then not complain when their speeds drop over time as more people jump over to FTTC.

with quite a few disconnections over a period of a week or so due to swapping routers/modem etc and BT OR disconnecting modem few times without a DLM reset i assume DLM may have intervened at some point, i don't know.

are my stats alrite then or looking quite poor?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:16:49 PM by Tekno »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 12:34:53 AM »

I can only think TalkTalk are giving me worst estimates that i could get at the worst time of day when fibre is being shared more, that way I guess people could then not complain when their speeds drop over time as more people jump over to FTTC.

with quite a few disconnections over a period of a week or so due to swapping routers/modem etc and BT OR disconnecting modem few times without a DLM reset i assume DLM may have intervened at some point, i don't know.

are my stats alrite then or looking quite poor?

Thank you.

The estimates are given from the BTWholesale database, the screencap you linked to earlier in the thread.

When I had an estimate for Fibre Large both online and over the phone, it was the lowest Impacted range speed - highly unlikely you'll see this. But I assume they are doing this to save hassle when crosstalk gets an issue.

Now your line stats are looking perfectly fine, and no need for any DLM resets (not that you'd get one, OR are very fussy about those) or anything. DLM has applied some interleaving, but not a lot at all.

With Fibre Large, expect 50 - 55mbps + and the full 20mbps upload :)

Your error rates are low, and you should do well on Large, but I would say expect to have interleaving on and increasing ping times, due to there being a few Errored seconds showing currently. This is nothing wrong with the line, its just "one of those things" when it comes to VDSL. Background noise is inevitable, but with a spare 16dB SNR margin, its currently not an issue. 50mbps+ easy on this line i'd guess.

Also glad the suggestion of IP change worked  :dance: Seems TalkTalk have severe congestion somewhere on some network nodes.
Kind Regards
Jamie

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »

I'd say that Jamie is probably correct if you go large. Your stats on medium are close to what I saw on my line with TT prior to trying large which I have stuck with so far. I can get quite a lot higher sync than I am currently using but that got me a much higher error rate and interleaving, so I capped my line speed. You can do that with an unlocked HG612 if you find it is required, but the TT super router does not support that command if you remove the HG612. The command I use currently is xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 55000 20000 10000 where the first number is max downstream, the second max upstream and the last I have no idea but it works  ;) This command is done via telnet and will cause a re-sync of the HG612.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Tekno

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »

The estimates are given from the BTWholesale database, the screencap you linked to earlier in the thread.

When I had an estimate for Fibre Large both online and over the phone, it was the lowest Impacted range speed - highly unlikely you'll see this. But I assume they are doing this to save hassle when crosstalk gets an issue.

Now your line stats are looking perfectly fine, and no need for any DLM resets (not that you'd get one, OR are very fussy about those) or anything. DLM has applied some interleaving, but not a lot at all.

With Fibre Large, expect 50 - 55mbps + and the full 20mbps upload :)

Your error rates are low, and you should do well on Large, but I would say expect to have interleaving on and increasing ping times, due to there being a few Errored seconds showing currently. This is nothing wrong with the line, its just "one of those things" when it comes to VDSL. Background noise is inevitable, but with a spare 16dB SNR margin, its currently not an issue. 50mbps+ easy on this line i'd guess.

Also glad the suggestion of IP change worked  :dance: Seems TalkTalk have severe congestion somewhere on some network nodes.

Thank you Jamie. Yes seems like the IP change from 8x. to 9x. has worked very well so far, all of you who has offered help/advice and made the process so much less painful as otherwise i would have still not known what the problem was  :)

Once I have spoken to this CEO manager to explain what likely issue was I will be upgrading to fibre large next week. I noticed the faceplate I got is BT MK2, i'v ordered a genuine BT MK3 and will compare with MK2, from what i see dependant on each owns line etc it seems the MK3 could reduce error rate but may loose a Mb or so as compensation, also the cheap cat5e cables i bought last week i am basically going to be replacing with Cat7.

Does anyone know if a patch cable will work from my modem to router?? I currently have crossover for modem to router but not sure if the asus rt-ac68u router and hg612 modem both support auto mdix i think it's called, it's not easy finding good quality crossover cables, most seem to be patch cabled.

I'd say that Jamie is probably correct if you go large. Your stats on medium are close to what I saw on my line with TT prior to trying large which I have stuck with so far. I can get quite a lot higher sync than I am currently using but that got me a much higher error rate and interleaving, so I capped my line speed. You can do that with an unlocked HG612 if you find it is required, but the TT super router does not support that command if you remove the HG612. The command I use currently is xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 55000 20000 10000 where the first number is max downstream, the second max upstream and the last I have no idea but it works  ;) This command is done via telnet and will cause a re-sync of the HG612.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart, I will be upgrading the fibre large sometime next week, I got an unlocked HG612 so if needed will try what you've said.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:16:01 PM by Tekno »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4