Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wall socket with USB outlets  (Read 40094 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Wall socket with USB outlets
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:39 PM »

May I slip in a question?

Which is quicker; to charge a phone via the mains socket or a computer USB port?

Without intending to contradict B'cat who, I see, has posted while I typed...

Usually there will be no difference, although it is likely that a respectable manufacturer's own mains charger will be optimal as designed to match the device, and therefor charge the fastest.

As I understand (happy to be corrected) manufacturers may choose to provide devices that charge faster when connected to suitable chargers that exceed basic USB requirements, and provide a more generous current. 

I believe (again, may be wrong!) some iPads/ iPhones behave as such and, when connected to an Apple charger, will charge in impressively double-quick time.   When connected to more 'basic' outlets, whether PC or wall-mounted that may limit the charging current, it may take longer.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »

In reality not all sockets are capable of supplying the same/adequate current levels.
In general a mains charger is more likely to provide a realistic current to charge in an acceptable timeframe.
Edit: 7LM has said the same while I was typing, but at more length.  8)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:53 AM »

I asked because no mains charger came with my Tesco Mobile supplied Galaxy Fame. Thanks for views! :)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »

My Hudl2 takes much longer to charge from a USB port on my PC than on the supplied mains charger. Discovered incidentally just recently. Just looked at the charger which states output as 2A at 5V which explains it.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »

I'm sure that your Hudl2 won't be taking 2A of charging current. But presumably it will take more current than the PC USB port can supply, when it's connected to a higher capacity source.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »

I will be around (or a significant proportion of) that figure though.
An iPad battery is of the order of 30 Watt-hours capacity and a Hudl is probably similar.

2A at 5v is 10 Watts, so "could" fully charge such a device in 3 hours or so. How long does it actually take?

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »

Never checked carefully but I would think about that time. Not sure of the Hudl2's battery capacity but they advertise it as having an 8 hour operating time which would point to a substantial capacity even allowing for promotional exaggeration.
Tony

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »

I will be around (or a significant proportion of) that figure though.
An iPad battery is of the order of 30 Watt-hours capacity and a Hudl is probably similar.

2A at 5v is 10 Watts, so "could" fully charge such a device in 3 hours or so. How long does it actually take?

Never timed it but 2-3 hours feels about right for mine, an iPad 2 and iPad Mini.

A consequential problem for such high charge rate devices is that the voltage drop in thin USB cable conductors can become significant beyond a few feet in length.   I believe that is one reason the Apple cables are so short, and that the longer 'non Apple' cables either don't work at all or take a month of sundays to charge.   

As noted by kitz earlier, the newer lightning cables appear to be chipped, in any event.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »

Thought I'd add this as I was just pondering whether to get an MK Logic double socket with USB ports (my existing sockets are MK Logic), anyway I found the this thread which was interesting reading, and raised some very good points.

It also mentioned this, which seems a very good idea, and certainly a lot better than a fixed socket.

Although each port only gives 1 amp (just found there is a 2.1amp version), it would be ideal for what I need, and is available in black or white.

https://www.masterplug.com/my/usb-charger-surge-protected
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]