Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wall socket with USB outlets  (Read 40097 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Wall socket with USB outlets
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »

Double Wall Socket with 2 USB outlets - £12.99 @ Aldi

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Wall socket with USB outlets
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

A clever idea, but will Apple devices complain that it's not one of their chargers?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »

I'd never come across such a thing, but I see they are actually quite commonly available in various designs.

Certainly useful, but I wonder whether the USB outlets are switched, or always on? 

Not that I'd worry about the energy usage, a topic we've done to death, and any cost saving from switching off is an urban myth.   But from a safety perspective, I'd probably not feel comfortable leaving a charger of unknown pedigree permanently connected to the mains...  :-\

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »

I've got one, and it does what it says on the tin. The USB ports aren't switched, but it claims to meet UK safety regulations. I've only found one oddity, namely that my Kindle doesn't seem to like it; it starts to charge, then after several minutes the charging light goes green (indicating that charging is complete) but charging isn't complete. Everything else I've tried works fine.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »

A clever idea, but will Apple devices complain that it's not one of their chargers?

Not sure, but I think if as long as you use genuine cable then you should be ok.
Its the cable that contains the chip..  you can plug the cable into various power sources such as PC or car USB adapter.

Positioned between the cord's USB contact and the power pin on the Lightning plug, the chip seems to be the key to keeping Lighting cables and adapters proprietary.
http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third-party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone/all
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »

I wish that I'd been aware that there were such things as these before I had some rewiring work and new sockets installed in my bedroom last year.

I presently have a trailing extension socket by the side of my bed.  This extension permanently has plugged into it:  1)Dect Phone, 2) Mobile phone charger 3) Apple charger (for ipad & ipod) which is usually always charging one or the other device.

I recently bought from Aldi a WorkZone 6 socket extension with 2 USB, but when I got it home realised it was longer than my bedside cabinet and therefore classic stub your toe material.   It was overkill really as aside from the Dect Phone all the other devices are all usb plugs.  When I feel like pulling my built in office furniture to pieces, Im going to put it in the PC room.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . Not the sort of item I would consider installing at The Cattery:no:  But I am a very suspicious and perpetually grumpy cat . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

but it claims to meet UK safety regulations.

Hmm, are there any such safety standards, specific to these devices?

I'm not the only one with reservations, found this...

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100145109/web_usb-article-from-so32.pdf

Even apart from safety, we kind of expect a socket outlet to have life expectancy measured in decades.   The internal shots of these devices show simple aluminium electrolytics which, if powered and heated 24/7, are most unlikely to last beyond a year or five.   Certainly not decades.

I do think the concept is excellent.   I feel an urge to install them in several places.   But I'll probably wait until safety regulators have introduced some standards, and some of the major UK brand names give it some backing...   :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 07:43:31 PM »

I do think the concept is excellent.   I feel an urge to install them in several places.
I've decided to order a couple for convenient desk-level sockets that often have adapters/chargers plugged in.
These are both sockets I installed myself many years ago so I know the circuits and how to isolate them if necessary.

As for life, I'm not too bothered, though I am re safety so will give them a very thorough check before installing.
I suspect that within the lifetime of these charging technology will have moved on (e.g. to wireless pads etc.) so I'll revert them to standard sockets or a later replacement as required.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

Thank you for providing that link, 7LM. Having now read it,  :o  I would not install any such an item in The Cattery. (Other than the rubbish bin, perhaps . . .)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »

There's a thread on AVForums about these, and some useful info to take into account when purchasing. Thread was started in Dec 2011, so they've been around for some years.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:30 AM »

I see MK have a version though it takes up a full module slot, so you'd lose half of a double outlet.  But still no switch, not even an accessible fuse.     It seems they auto-detect cable attachment and power themselves on, but I'd be so much happier with a physical switch so I could isolate it if/when it develops a fault.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Products/WD/logicplus/Powermodules/USBchargingmodule/Pages/default.aspx

Unfortunately, the MK USB module alone seems to be selling for best part of £30, plus more for the faceplate, and more again to populate the adjacent module if replacing a double socket.   :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:31:40 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »

May I slip in a question?

Which is quicker; to charge a phone via the mains socket or a computer USB port?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »

There should not be any difference in the time taken. The device will be taking the energy available to it (to recharge the internal battery) at a certain, fixed rate.

Pages: [1] 2

anything