Computers & Hardware > Hardware - Deals & Bargains

Wall socket with USB outlets

<< < (2/5) > >>

kitz:
I wish that I'd been aware that there were such things as these before I had some rewiring work and new sockets installed in my bedroom last year.

I presently have a trailing extension socket by the side of my bed.  This extension permanently has plugged into it:  1)Dect Phone, 2) Mobile phone charger 3) Apple charger (for ipad & ipod) which is usually always charging one or the other device.

I recently bought from Aldi a WorkZone 6 socket extension with 2 USB, but when I got it home realised it was longer than my bedside cabinet and therefore classic stub your toe material.   It was overkill really as aside from the Dect Phone all the other devices are all usb plugs.  When I feel like pulling my built in office furniture to pieces, Im going to put it in the PC room.

roseway:
Just for reference, the one I've got is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KO1KDN4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

burakkucat:
 :hmm:  Hmm . . . Not the sort of item I would consider installing at The Cattery.  :no:  But I am a very suspicious and perpetually grumpy cat . . .

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: roseway on January 21, 2015, 12:39:28 PM --- but it claims to meet UK safety regulations.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, are there any such safety standards, specific to these devices?

I'm not the only one with reservations, found this...

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100145109/web_usb-article-from-so32.pdf

Even apart from safety, we kind of expect a socket outlet to have life expectancy measured in decades.   The internal shots of these devices show simple aluminium electrolytics which, if powered and heated 24/7, are most unlikely to last beyond a year or five.   Certainly not decades.

I do think the concept is excellent.   I feel an urge to install them in several places.   But I'll probably wait until safety regulators have introduced some standards, and some of the major UK brand names give it some backing...   :)

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on January 21, 2015, 07:17:56 PM ---I do think the concept is excellent.   I feel an urge to install them in several places.
--- End quote ---
I've decided to order a couple for convenient desk-level sockets that often have adapters/chargers plugged in.
These are both sockets I installed myself many years ago so I know the circuits and how to isolate them if necessary.

As for life, I'm not too bothered, though I am re safety so will give them a very thorough check before installing.
I suspect that within the lifetime of these charging technology will have moved on (e.g. to wireless pads etc.) so I'll revert them to standard sockets or a later replacement as required.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version