Computers & Hardware > Hardware - Deals & Bargains

Wall socket with USB outlets

<< < (5/5)

HPsauce:
I will be around (or a significant proportion of) that figure though.
An iPad battery is of the order of 30 Watt-hours capacity and a Hudl is probably similar.

2A at 5v is 10 Watts, so "could" fully charge such a device in 3 hours or so. How long does it actually take?

tonyappuk:
Never checked carefully but I would think about that time. Not sure of the Hudl2's battery capacity but they advertise it as having an 8 hour operating time which would point to a substantial capacity even allowing for promotional exaggeration.
Tony

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on January 23, 2015, 01:26:01 PM ---I will be around (or a significant proportion of) that figure though.
An iPad battery is of the order of 30 Watt-hours capacity and a Hudl is probably similar.

2A at 5v is 10 Watts, so "could" fully charge such a device in 3 hours or so. How long does it actually take?

--- End quote ---

Never timed it but 2-3 hours feels about right for mine, an iPad 2 and iPad Mini.

A consequential problem for such high charge rate devices is that the voltage drop in thin USB cable conductors can become significant beyond a few feet in length.   I believe that is one reason the Apple cables are so short, and that the longer 'non Apple' cables either don't work at all or take a month of sundays to charge.   

As noted by kitz earlier, the newer lightning cables appear to be chipped, in any event.

Ronski:
Thought I'd add this as I was just pondering whether to get an MK Logic double socket with USB ports (my existing sockets are MK Logic), anyway I found the this thread which was interesting reading, and raised some very good points.

It also mentioned this, which seems a very good idea, and certainly a lot better than a fixed socket.

Although each port only gives 1 amp (just found there is a 2.1amp version), it would be ideal for what I need, and is available in black or white.

https://www.masterplug.com/my/usb-charger-surge-protected

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version