Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: FTTC questions  (Read 27040 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: FTTC questions
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »

Just to add to the above, I suggest that you keep a regular eye on roadworks.org. During my long wait it was the best source of information about what  BT were up to in my area, particualrly in respect of cabling work.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »

Well my exchange (TBHT) is supposedly now accepting orders. My cabinet does not appear to be however.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »

Yup confirmed: all the cabinets on my exchange that have FTTC cabinets near them are accepting orders, except mine. Just my luck :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 12:20:13 AM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 12:38:21 AM »

It may just be a delay in getting the final cab complete and up to speed.

My cab did not arrive when it should of.

I managed to sign-up before its status was changed to say it was not yet ready.
Yet I got installed on the date I was promised. Dates and availability slide all over the place.

Its only gone when the status says 'NOT AVAILABLE'

Fingers Crossed  :fingers:  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »

The "box" is sitting there, there aren't any cables lying around, all the traffic lights have gone, etc. An OR van occasionally turns up to do something so who knows.

It is the furthest cabinet from the exchange that is going live, it's a good 2.8 km away from the exchange.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »

The "box" is sitting there

They do that quite a lot  ;D
My cab was 'ready' as far as I could see for months, no work being done , no Openreach vans etc
Suddenly very early one morning (approx 4:30am) I tried Plusnets 'Check your Number' page and I was told it was available.
I signed up straight away  ;D
Within 2 days it was officially again 'Not available yet'  ???
It was installed on the day I had been told, so was very happy.

As I said it is only gone when the Openreach site says it is 'not available' and 'never will be available'.
Things change just the timescales are often unfathomable  :D

Wait for what happens next but 'Don't hold you breath !!!'

Al1264

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »

2) 50 mtrs

Apologies for being pedantic @BS but I've paced the distance between my FTTC cab and the old PCP cab several times and I recon the actual cable run is very near to 60m (the direct distance is over 50m anyway), does that mean mine's incorrectly installed?  Worse still (in a way) the FTTC cab is further from the exchange / nearer my house than the PCP so the link from the FTTC cab goes 'back' to the PCP then 'back again' past the FTTC cab (does this increase the risk of cross-talk in any way, or is that really only within the same cable bundle?).
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »

2) 50 mtrs

Apologies for being pedantic @BS but I've paced the distance between my FTTC cab and the old PCP cab several times and I recon the actual cable run is very near to 60m (the direct distance is over 50m anyway), does that mean mine's incorrectly installed?  Worse still (in a way) the FTTC cab is further from the exchange / nearer my house than the PCP so the link from the FTTC cab goes 'back' to the PCP then 'back again' past the FTTC cab (does this increase the risk of cross-talk in any way, or is that really only within the same cable bundle?).

These are the full strict guidelines ...... but only by using a proper 'Time Domain Reflectometer', would you be able to adjudge the true and correct distance of the cable-ties between PCP and DSLAM ?

Copper tie circuits (to the PCP) should not exceed 50 metres
To optimise performance the RDSLAM should always be positioned so the copper tie circuits (to the PCP) do not exceed 50 metres, this is measured termination to termination.

Openreach planning may authorise copper tie circuits up to 90 metres.
Where the above conditions cannot be met dispensation can be requested from Openreach planning who may authorise copper tie circuits up to 90 metres, termination to termination.

90 to 100m requires exceptional dispensation
In exceptional circumstances tie cables exceeding 90 may be requested by email from the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The copper tie circuits must never exceed 100 metres
The length of the copper tie cables between the PCP and RDSLAMs must not exceed 100m (this is measured termination to termination). This is a legislative restriction and must be complied with.

ukg2uk

• Just arrived
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »

I hope you're lucky, but in my village we've had 2 new FTTC cabinets in place sitting there for coming up to 2 YEARS (it'll be the 2 year anniversary in early May), and they are STILL not ready for service. Is that some sort of record around this forum?

Like I say, I hope you're lucky... I must have been bad in a former life.... I'd rather have not known than visit the online checkers almost daily since then.

Good luck!

Al1264

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

Copper tie circuits (to the PCP) should not exceed 50 metres
To optimise performance the RDSLAM should always be positioned so the copper tie circuits (to the PCP) do not exceed 50 metres, this is measured termination to termination.

Openreach planning may authorise copper tie circuits up to 90 metres.
Where the above conditions cannot be met dispensation can be requested from Openreach planning who may authorise copper tie circuits up to 90 metres, termination to termination.
Thanks for the info, can't really see why mine couldn't be installed 'to spec.' but I don't think they'll come back and fix it now :(
Hope this link works (just for info / interest): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.266669,-0.806934,3a,75y,186.02h,70.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sa-CYP-Z6vVRNXFWl9tHvPw!2e0  PCP is the further away green box on the main road, the one at the side road is NTL/Virgin Meia)
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »

I hope you're lucky, but in my village we've had 2 new FTTC cabinets in place sitting there for coming up to 2 YEARS (it'll be the 2 year anniversary in early May), and they are STILL not ready for service. Is that some sort of record around this forum?

Like I say, I hope you're lucky... I must have been bad in a former life.... I'd rather have not known than visit the online checkers almost daily since then.

Good luck!

Wait so OR came along, installed the cabinets and then left...for two years?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »

You can't rush a good job, Alec.  ;)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

You can't rush a good job, Alec.  ;)

There's taking your time and there's taking your time. Utter shambles from BT. Wish the contract hadn't been given to them around here.

FTTC is going to be useless for most of the homes connected to my cabinet.

ukg2uk

• Just arrived
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »

Wait so OR came along, installed the cabinets and then left...for two years?

Yes, exactly. I was quite disappointed after 6 month or so of waiting... not sure how to describe the feeling now.

I had a broadband issue before Christmas (2014), and the very kind engineer who visited me offered to look at the FTTC cab on his way out. He rang back 5 minutes later from the cab to say that it all looked "ready". It had power, it had fibre, it had the cable ties to the old cab, so he didn't know why it wasn't ready for service. He suggested I contact openreach, but I get the usual canned response. "Its in our plans, can't give me a definitive date... it'll be ready when its ready...". So that was already 5 months ago, and still nothing.

I'm assuming the cab has fibre, but the other end of the fibre is blocked somewhere before the exchange, but its only a couple of miles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

anything