Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault  (Read 72239 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »

I read one of the REV k's rants and some of his customers where having issues , he put them on elevated traffic, and there was an improvement , yet btw were saying not faults ect iirc, if plusnet would for testing  switch off their traffic shaping  for a week or so, if it still persists  then they could put a number of those seeing issues on elevated  to see if that showed improvements or not, process of elimination maybe is what is required,  or some truths from plusnet, because whatever is /are the reasons for it it has been allowed to go on for too long already, plusnet saying we don't know  or it isn't our fault, ain't good enough

tbh I almost posted on TBB yesterday, then decided against it..  but one of the things I was going to say the following which I still have in notedpad

Im at a loss as to why a few people continue to see issues that either could be endpoints or something at the MSILs.  There obviously are some people who do have a genuine problem and I'd tend to trust certain people (eg jelv) who would know how to rule out the basics.

TBH, if it were me, I would be taking a very close look at a chosen individuals line to see if they can see if they can pin point the issue.  Im sure someone like jelv would be more than happy to assist with testing etc.     

Plusnet wont/cant ever completely turn off the ellacoyas, but for testing purposes an EU could be put on 'God profile' which results in no shaping at all.  iirc jelv is already on premium which is an elevated service on the BTw VPs and they should also ensure that their PN profile is set to maximum.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »

jelv...    from a link on TBB I happen to notice this
http://aastatus.net/2103 which shows problems at Reading

21CN lines that connect through BRAS's 21CN-BRAS-RED1-MR-DH up to 21CN-BRAS-RED13-MR-DH

Just a note that its the MSILs at the Interconnects which connect the BRAS to the Core...  suggesting that there is a probable issue with some of the MSILs at Reading.  :(

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:23:03 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »

if the elocayas are the issue a god mode profile wouldnt fix the issue, they would have to be routed to completely bypass them.  As I expect a god mode profile would still be scanning the traffic but just nothing would be throttled.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »

It would at least eliminate incorrect configuration of a profile.  I agree that wouldn't make any difference if the ellacoya/procera was overloaded.   

Im not sure how the Proceras work, but surely if it was overloaded to the point of causing latency then surely it would affect every single line that was going through the gateway which the individual ellacoya/procera was attached... and in that case it would look like a specific gateway issue. It should also be much easier to spot.
-----

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:56 AM »

Nothing wrong with that logic except it would appear only very small numbers, compared to total subscribers are being affected?

They don't terminate lines but going on our earlier assumption, they might well be terminating tunnels. Tunnel creation is probably a CPU as opposed to ASIC operation?

Tunnel creation or numbering of those tunnels or something equally inane could be the culprit. Or perhaps every 19th tunnel is having MSS/RWIN clamped. Or something is screwing with packet checksums or TCP sequencing so more packets in a flow are being examined under some undetermined circumstance. Or some other weird bug.

My limited experience of juniper is that they outperform cisco and are waay cheaper but documentation is sparse and bugs far more common than you'd like. TAC wants to investigate the bug you've reported? Cool. Where shall I put these 40k subscribers? :P

I bet PN support are looking at standard peak time load and under-utilisation with WTF style faces. ptn-ag2 was always flawless for me, if that helps.

Could be classic congestion and they're telling us porkies, though.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2015, 01:12:57 AM »

Because I was home tonight I've been doing several speedtests, but they have all been at full line speed flatline, so ptn-bng02 looks ok for me.  :)

>> Or perhaps every 19th tunnel is having MSS/RWIN clamped.  Or something is screwing with packet checksums or TCP sequencing so more packets in a flow are being examined under some undetermined circumstance. Or some other weird bug.

I had thought about MTU/RWIN etc because it throws up some really weird things.   Ive had an RWIN issue myself that affected line rate throughput limiting me to 30Mb.  It took me ages to sort and find out what it was..  the culprit was actually my nvidia driver which included a load of additional garbage I didnt need.

The full post is here..  but you can see what a difference it made.

This was with the full nVidea software which included NVStream

This is without.   

Note the wavy line on the upstream too which I was talking about earlier.   I cant recall the exact reason now, but its something to do with NVStream messing with the RWIN.. there was a massive thread on the nVidia forum about it.

-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »

AndyH is really getting my goat now!

Here's a post I've just made on the Community forums:

It is my firm belief that AndyH is a shill - for Plusnet, BT Wholesale or OpenReach. He has demonstrated on numerous occasions that he has inside information on FTTC upgrade plans without ever posting a link to a public resource where we can look it up for ourselves.

The fact that Plusnet have not posted to this topic to confirm that what Anotherone, myself and several others are saying is correct makes me think that they are very happy to see this topic being derailed with all the FUD.

Lets make something very clear: all products should be delivered as specified by Plusnet even when they are no longer for sale. If they change the specification the customers MUST be notified. That is why details of all the old products are available in the Broadband Product Archive. A route is:

Help & Support
Support Pages
Under broadband: Broadband speed guide
In 6. Be aware of traffic management - there's a link Traffic management guide
Under rate limits -  older broadband products

There's probably other routes to get to the same page - it lists all products sold since 4th April 2005
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »

yeah as I said there is something odd about him, its as if he is been paid to spend 20 hours a day on the forums defending plusnet.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »

yeah as I said there is something odd about him, its as if he is been paid to spend 20 hours a day on the forums defending plusnet.
As someone has already said he /she even is a corporate shill , But reading through the plusnet  thread, i see someone mentioned getting it exposed in the media presumably the likes of the register , it may get some kind of official response, i have taken my grievance to  cisas as ISPA was a waste of time , all they do is ask your isp to respond to your issues , i can't say for certain that they even managed to do this , plusnet have had my formal complaint for nearly 1 mth and all they have done is end to end tests, before and after i reported a fault as advised , still no answer  only that there appears to be nothing wrong with your connection result from testing , lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:31:26 PM by tommy45 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

Kitz, Chrys, Boost .............. can we speak in English please !! This is harder to understand than the Pinghua Chinese language  :'( :'(.

;D ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »

If you are having problems imagine what the rest of us are like.  ???  :'(  ::)
<jk>

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »

LOL ….. I'm as much as a novice as anyone from the Exchange MDF onwards …… or backwards …… whichever way you deem it to be ?? ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »

BS...   If you like, I could point you to a site which may explain some of the terms that we are using.
 :lol:
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »

BS...   If you like, I could point you to a site which may explain some of the terms that we are using.
 :lol:

I'm washing my hair as it goes ........ but errm, thanks anyway.  :)
Ha ha, appreciate the thought boss but my dwindling memory banks struggle to cope with stuff I need to know in my day-to-day activities, as it is.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »

@jelv.

Did you happen to notice my post above re the Reading MSILs?    I mentioned it because I recall that you have to go through Reading.   
Its also been confirmed by Chris, that by gateway hopping, you could find yourself on a different MSIL depending upon the location of the gateway.   I know you are on IPSC, but afaik they now also use the 21CN MSILs to hop on to the core.   
-----
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

anything