Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault  (Read 72252 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2015, 01:56:37 AM »

there is one good endpoint, but it took me a LOT of hopping to get back on it, so much hopping was required I am delaying to reenable ipv6 now as that will make me lose the ppp session.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:57 PM »

Well some of the performance graphs show signs of flattened tops on Sunday evening - which has gained a Plusnet response that the graphs might be removed:

To address some of the points made since I last update this thread, the graphs on our website are outdated and need updating or removing, they don't realistically reflect the real-life capacity of our network or peaks across the network.

Make of that what you will!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2015, 04:14:16 AM »

jelv you have been a plusnet customer for a long time right?

remember back when they had the massive capacity issues on adsl? did they initially pretend it wasnt a problem?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »

Here's what I posted in reply to your same question on the Community forums:

Yes.

Back then I was a member of the Plusnet User Group and thought PUG should be be far more critical of what was going on. The trouble was the then chairman of PUG for some reason seemed to be an apologist for Plusnet and was defending them (sound like anyone at the current time). I went out on a limb and posted on TBB with all guns blazing - it led to a big row and I ended up resigning from PUG so that I could be free to post my honest views without being censored by the PUG leaders. In time I was proved right. Kitz was the other PUG member who at that time was doing sterling work on the issue from inside PUG.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bubbles

• Just arrived
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »

So I am getting packet loss and spikes at home. Cant even watch HD youtube clips at night anymore :(
Did loads of tests last night at different times, and went as low down as 3 mbs dl compared to my usual 13. Pings went from 16 to 122 at its peak and packet loss and jitter showed up all the time.

Just 2 questions:
1 - Is this an issue with plusnet or the exchange I am connected to ?
2 - Would all providers suffer from this problem too ?

Please just a yes or no for the second question, as this is a discussion about Plusnet not others, just wanted to know if anyone knew where the issue might lie for my own piece of mind.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »

thanks jelv, sorry I missed your reply earlier.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »

So I am getting packet loss and spikes at home. Cant even watch HD youtube clips at night anymore :(
Did loads of tests last night at different times, and went as low down as 3 mbs dl compared to my usual 13. Pings went from 16 to 122 at its peak and packet loss and jitter showed up all the time.

Just 2 questions:

Please just a yes or no for the second question, as this is a discussion about Plusnet not others, just wanted to know if anyone knew where the issue might lie for my own piece of mind.

No one knows. Page 6 contains our best guesses.

As an aside, I noticed the OGEA service test now shows the CVLAN policed rate which, in my mind, suggests #3 is now definitely a contender.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »

you have an example of what the content of the policed rate line displays?

I still think congestion at the CVLAN level would be very unusual to have.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »

You continue to say this. You continue to provide zero evidence to back it up.

Why do you feel so strongly? It would be awesome to rule this out because it removes another possibility from the blame-chain :)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »

I assume all FTTC CPs can see the above info.

My personal experience with BTOR and FTTC is that they are very much on the ball.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:39 PM »

But aren't the SVLANS /CVLAN's shared by lots of EU's  that would likely be with different ISP's , in which case it wouldn't be what has so far been unique to Plusnet customers, apart from a few cases earlier on that the cause was identified by AAISP  as it affected customers regardless of ISP Also a customer changing endpoints via an isp gateway hop wouldn't also change the SLVAN/Cvlan that they where on would they ?

It IMO is the quantity  bandwidth that they are buying from BT  not being sufficient (running a large percentage of their links hot)  which is probably not helped  by the traffic plusnet management which could be causing all sorts of odd issues  making it harder to identify the underlying cause ,
It's like  some 12 months or more ago, the customers saw the peak time latency hump or excess jitter,  again single stream throughput was affected as was the upstream,  but  not as severely,  people complained  plusnet a short time later  reported that more capacity had been added , a short time ( days ) things improved  for a few months  then would return again,  Plusnet has in particularly during the past 12mths  has gained a lot more customers 

They have increased the number of BNG's (gateways) but by customers  hopping from gateway to gateway until they get connected to a less saturated  endpoint which sees line speed  throughput restored ,and some times latency  as well, goes a long way in proving that it's something  with the internal networking ( DPI traffic management )  that plusnet control  or the capacity that it buys from BT is not suficient
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:46:13 PM by tommy45 »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:50 PM »

Just 2 questions:

Is your exchange on their list of exchanges  with known issues,  ? An exchange issue/ VP would affect customers of other isp's in a similar way  at the same times,
If  FTTC  i think it works a little differently , But the status  should be easy for the isp to find out ,

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »

You continue to say this. You continue to provide zero evidence to back it up.

Why do you feel so strongly? It would be awesome to rule this out because it removes another possibility from the blame-chain :)

well first I already know CVLAN is nothing to do with current issues, as the CVLAN is a fixed path, it doesnt change when hopping, you understand this?

Also you have to look at the numbers to realise congestion from cabinet to exchange would be weird. Not impossible but extremely unlikely.

Retail isp's contend at a level that is many 100s more in multiple than cabinet backhaul.

Trust me that the current issues at plusnet are nothing to do with cvlan/svlan/exchange.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:14:07 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2015, 02:13:26 PM »

I assume all FTTC CPs can see the above info.

My personal experience with BTOR and FTTC is that they are very much on the ball.

you work for an isp to be able to see that?

now show one where police rate isnt 0 :)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »

well first I already know CVLAN is nothing to do with current issues, as the CVLAN is a fixed path, it doesnt change when hopping, you understand this?

No, I don't understand. How do you know this? I've not seen the ECI or the Huawei running-config and have no idea what the potential congestion management options may be. Gateway hops could also be purely coincidental with local contention. If it's not black and white, it's an unknown as far as I'm concerned :)

Trust me that the current issues at plusnet are nothing to do with cvlan/svlan/exchange.

I don't disagree but even my own conclusions are far from concrete. If you believe you know something specific, you could let us all know whilst maintaining your anonymity. My problem is, all too often we find flaws in what people believe they know, so their presumptions held no value in the first place. I'm not saying this applies to you but it's a state of mind one acquires when you work in IT; people are sometimes lacking in areas where they should be on top form.

I'm definitely clueless but knowing it allows me to make small gains, here and there.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

anything