Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault  (Read 72233 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »

last night after gateway hopping i thought i had found a good endpoint but i guess that is not possible with minus-net
and i've got the packet loss as well I hopped gateways once and landed on BNG 04 and  no packet loss and full throughput levels but latency on that gateway isn't the lowest
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:10:27 PM by tommy45 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 02:51:26 AM »

post in the thread, tell them you will stay on that endpoint for a few days to allow them to check whats going on.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:41 AM »

I didn't stay on it, and i have little faith in their support actually doing anything so see it as a pointless exercise, I think the only way  to be rid of this is to migrate away from minus net,
the thing that really boils the urine is that you hop gateways and eventually get a connection that works as is expected ,then less than 24hrs later it's worse than the previous gateway connection, Also i noticed another thing whilst hopping gateways base latency, even on the same gateway but different central ie 10 /11 changes it, one shows a low,normal latency but the other shows a increase, and the difference in latency  between gateways is another weird thing, their can be upto 8ms difference  between the lowest and highest, something ain't right with that IMO
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:03:20 AM by tommy45 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

Stephen71

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 09:16:52 PM »

Hi All,

My current speeds with Plusnet:-

I have also attached a BQM graph which I think illustrates the contention issues well.

Outside peak times I get 37.5Mbps down and 17.4Mbps up.

Plusnet are investigating this for me but the issues have been ongoing since early December.

My old ADSL connection achieved a constant 5Mbps.

I have tried to get out of my contract but they insist that the speeds they quote are only the sync speeds to my cabinet at the end of my road so no joy there.

Something seems to be seriously wrong with their network

I can't even stream Netflix or NOWTV when it's this slow so I'm paying for services I can't use.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 11:24:04 PM »

Sadly in the t&c no speeds are guaranteed,

It is a shared user platform meaning contention.

However if we look at how plusnet estimate sync speeds, I believe they do not specifically state "sync speed" but rather just "speed", if I am correct (you should check), then its a way out of the contract if your thoughput is significantly below the estimated speed.

Also the fact plusnet now at least once a year bump up prices, just wait for the bump and get out then if you not happy.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »

This is my TBB graph.

It is from 08:48 this morning (not a peak period), but it doesn't differ much at all during peak periods.

As mentioned by WWWombat in the other thread, it does appear to be something much more local to Stephen71

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »

Well these issues still prevail i after connecting to a good endpoint  had 2 good days 48hrs whoopee do do !!! where i had no packet loss ,no jitter ,and full throughput during peak times , but tonight,back to the jitter and increases in latency, no packet loss ,but low & crappy throughput again, hopped onto several gateways  some had really erratic latency with 10-20ms frequent spiking going on to several targets i have loaded into pingplotter
Eventually i found a gateway/endpoint  with little/no jitter that was providing full throughput, too me 30mins this is not on
plusnet  staff on the forums  saying that they can't find anything wrong with their network, no congestion,
then they read from the script

post speedtest results from  tbb,speedtest.net and BTWholesale PT The best line is suggesting that we run a Tap3 test, when speeds are not low enough , as they have to be really low before it will offer a tap 3, and then after changing your log in credentials there's a strong possibility from reading various forums that it won't run so even more frustrating
for the customer who they think are sheeple and know nothing
well i for one have had enough this doesn't look like it will be resolved any time soon therefore this leaves only 2 choices
1, put up with it and shut up
2, get a MAC code and migrate to a ISP who hopefully is able to provide full throughput 24/7 with the exception of network failures be they BTW or their own, As broadband is sold as a always on product, therefore i should be able to use it when i wish without these sort of problems

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »

To which provider are you thinking of migrating?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »

Zen most probably  unless i can haggle a deal with Aquiss,& if they did an unlimited product for a sensible amount of money AAISP,
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:02:43 PM by tommy45 »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »

What are the chances this is local congestion and not PN? What's the capacity from the cabs to the exchange? The exchange to the... whatever is next, core?

*consults the kitz site*

:D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »

I think kitz is right that the problem is either plusnet or close to plusnet on the BTw side.

Sadly it seems plusnet either are failing to diagnose it or their staff have been told to keep quiet.

As it stands for me tho my endpoint still seems ok and I dont have as much trouble as you tommy finding a good one.  So at least for now I am staying put, but let us know how you get on after moving.

If I did jump ship I think it would be to aaisp.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »

What are the chances this is local congestion and not PN? What's the capacity from the cabs to the exchange? The exchange to the... whatever is next, core?

*consults the kitz site*

given hopping can fix it I think it makes it unlikely its close to the end user as that part of the routing is static, also the capacity between cabinet and exchange is at a point where congestion is extremely unlikely.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

I jumped to another pipe and its been fine for the past 10 days. 
Since Ive been on central12.pcl-bng2 Ive been getting full 75Mbps even @ peak.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »

*consults the kitz site*

given hopping can fix it I think it makes it unlikely its close to the end user as that part of the routing is static, also the capacity between cabinet and exchange is at a point where congestion is extremely unlikely.

I've just had a glance at the stats for the MSANs. It isn't immediately obvious how many ports are allocated for uplinks? Nowhere is it mentioned they support 10GbE, either... do we know either of these?

256 subscribers x 80Mb/s? A few Gigabit uplinks is hardly going to be enough?

Also, what processors are these MSANs sporting? What if you've got a street full of people torrenting? The processor load may be enough to cause reduced throughput and latency?

I've no idea why a disconnect/reconnection seems to sort it (briefly, it seems?) but unless PN is outright lying ('our network is fine, y0' - the cabs and backhauls are not their network), it might be worth questioning what else might be going on...?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

anything