Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault  (Read 72235 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Peak time throughput issues Plusnet's or a BTWholesale fault
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »

no.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »

Ok here are my findings after Gateway hopping I have been on PTN AG 04 for the past 4 days, but tonight it started showing issues from slower loading of some we pages to a lower upstream throughput as well  even with 6 threads to a known good ftp server  i experienced upstream speeds of around 75% or less than i normally see  the tbb speedtester picked up on this to a certain extent, how ever following a change in gateway and possibly endpoint too this returned to near normal again
my ping monitor shows jitter 

here are some speed tests on each gateway i hopped onto 
PTN-AG04
PCL-AG04 Which have an increased latency of 4ms and high levels of jitter

PCLBNG01 +3MS of latency
PCL-BNG03

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/142170493312767335380.png PTN02 jitter
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/142170520675436326789.png PCL07
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/142170533424576952324.pngPCL-BNG01 again but base latency normal this time so different end point would make sense
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/142170553207929476391.png currently on PCL-BNG02 which isnt perfect it does like the other PCL's route to ubisoft from level3 using tinet so latency is lower

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »

and once again as the plusnet useage starts to drop back down i start to see normal throughput and latency , This in my case i believe is down to a lack of capacity plusnet side or equipment malfunction/configured incorrectly or software, even maybe ( some sort of shaping being done in a stealthy way ) 
I can still remember them (plusnet saying that they don't /can't shape upstream traffic) but obviously some of their endpoints /gateways are doing this as the speedtest result and other testing that a carried out prove this

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:42:31 PM by tommy45 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »

kitz next time you do a slow speedtest please do a gateway hop, retest, and if still slow hop again, try this at least 6 times, if you keep getting repeated slow, I am curious specifically if gateway hopping recovers performance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »

Ive updated my post with the speedtests done at various points.

However a couple of friends called and I wasnt able to monitor things closely.  I just kept nipping into the PC room to set off a speed test or download, and stacked the results until theyd gone so I could post now.

Therefore I wasnt able to do any gateway hopping tonight. :/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:57:20 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »

Watch out for andy apparently we all idiots for doing speedtests.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »

That's yet another attempt to distract us by implying that doing speed tests is un cool ect ect , he does have a habit of doing this  near enough every time some one finds a fault or even suspects their to be a fault with Plusnet  it's like he has an financial or other interest that he ain't making public, or he is just one of those people who are obsessed with their isp, and in their eyes the isp can do no wrong

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:37 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
could be, could be one of plusnet's staffers alter ego's which i suppose amounts to the same thing

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »

Well not even 1 customer from any of the isp's  or any other isp who's fttc service uses BTW has posted here regarding these peak time issues, could it be that this issue is effecting only plusnet customers? excluding the svlan issues of course ,which now appear to be resolved , "Well do you proud", maybe asa should make them remove that slogan from their advertising as so far they haven't done anything

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »

What were the svlan issues? :)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »

It seems plusnet are using bt 21cn core team more & more(mx960's) might explain the lack of any updates /details.
Might be better off asking Mr Shakir  ;)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:55:00 PM by HighBeta »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »

What were the svlan issues? :)
According to what was said on the plusnet forum, and info regarding this on AAISP status pages, but it only affected some areas not a national problem, which as far as can tell from what others are saying on forums it's been resolved ,
As for this peak time issue with lower  throughput and increased latency/jitter this problem has been evident in some form  for most of the time since i joined plusnet there have been a few months where no visible signs appeared  on the ping monitor and as far as i am aware no throughput issues,(doesn't mean that there wasn't) just because i didn't notice any, and during November/December last year i wasn't home most of the time,

Well as far as I'm concerned Plusnet have had more than enough time to have resolved this, 18mths  another observation in the past 2013 early 2014 plusnet would announce that they added capacity, every few mths, and the problem would either vanish for a short time or would show little improvement, they would appear to have stopped adding capacity but not customers to me this race to the bottom (cheaper than cheap) is part of the underlying cause as they cannot support the demand or their customers properly
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:12:49 PM by tommy45 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »

For me the bad gateway issues are not limited to peak time, if I am on one of the dodgy endpoints it slows down for a lot of the day, I had slow speedtests at 10am and 2.30am, which are both outside peak.

This to me suggests its not necessarily saturation related but possibly a configuration issue somewhere.

The thing is now i have managed to get on a good endpoint, so I am no longer providing them feedback, it would seem to push this along now the core network team is supposedly involved one would need to get themselves on a bad endpoint and stay there so they can be monitored.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:12:21 PM by Chrysalis »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 05:15:03 PM »

I bet they won't be compensating them for having to tolerate a degraded service whilst they allegedly monitor things

I in the past have seen poor throughput outside peak time, but was Sunday afternoon, on a few occasions but i can't recall any other day time events
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

anything