Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Powerline Comms  (Read 3523 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Powerline Comms
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11325914/You-could-be-prosecuted-over-your-broadband-thanks-to-GCHQ.html

I don't like the "Evil bully GCHQ" the Telegraph  is putting on something which has been illegal for may years, but of course interference is only serious when it happens to ME !

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Powerline Comms
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »

Intresting this as we've long known the effects caused by powerlines and sadly I use them myself in the house.

However I live quite away from any forms of communication equipment so I never anticipate such an issue, but it would be interesting how in court that the interference from properties would be proved.

I would like to move away from Powerlines but running a lot of ethernet along skirting boards doesn't bode well here!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »

Its OK with reasonable power levels, like XDSL, but when someone deals with the unsuitable "transmssion line" by using a bigger hammer then trouble !   

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »

Gentlefolk,

We all have live with all sorts of RFI.

1.  Anybody who has listened to on-hook phone line noise, without a modem running, will probably have heard R4 (or some french program in the SE of England) loud and clear.

2.  I caused some surprise to a new VDSL user when we turned off his short wave Ham radio as it competes for the same frequencies ! The antenna was around 30 m from his drop wire.

Kind regards,
Walter

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

We all have live with all sorts of RFI.

Reminds me of a true story of trials on a warship. The W/T operator pressed the key just before firing trials and all guns fired !
Telling the Admiralty they have to live with RFI is NOT career enhancing !!!! Designing it out is.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »

I am not surprised that these that power line comms adapters can radiate interference via the house mains. But as I found out when I tried some out, when I used a rolled up mains extension cable ( I know the risks....)  as part of the main transmission line, the adapters would not work. I  suspect electricity meters, and even mains circuit breakers  would block interference leaving your property via the mains. I would have thought that the worst the thing could do would be to interfere with your neighbour's radio, by direct pick up.   I suspect any changes to the law are more to do with there covering themselves when future developments take place.............

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »

Ive only skimmed but some of it seems not quite right.
You could be prosecuted if your broadband interferes with radio signals

Um... should that be network equipment...  its not broadband!
The headline screams wrong technology and puts a totally different slant on what IMHO should be a valid topic.

The Government agency has become increasingly concerned in recent years about "power line" networking equipment.

Good!  On here we are aware of the effects of RFI from powerline adapters and have seen what a mess it can make to broadband

“Ofcom’s proposals are designed to update existing regulations to take account of developments in technology. They are not in response to requests from any organisation.

Good.   Ive already moaned on here the fact that BT sell a powerline device that is banned in Norway because it produces too much RFI

As well as networking adapters, Ofcom said that in the past two years it had received complaints of electromagnetic interference from TV aerial amplifiers, electrical transformers, high voltage power cables and lighting, among other equipment.

GCHQ declined to comment on the proposed clampdown. The agency has lobbied for stricter enforcement of anti-interference legislation for several years

About bleeding time they sit up and take note.  Someone needs the power to be able to do something about badly manufactured & faulty equipment that causes REIN.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 01:38:52 AM »

I  suspect electricity meters, and even mains circuit breakers  would block interference leaving your property via the mains.

They do. Powerline transceivers don't work across separate ring mains. Also surge protectors stop them working.

anything