Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HDMI switches  (Read 10860 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HDMI switches
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »

1080p is the vertical scanning rate, i.e. 1080 lines and progressive scan (no interlacing).
All pretty meaningless unless you also state the scan frequency (e.g. frames per second) and to a lesser extent the horizontal resolution.
But, it depends what the switch is actually doing internally with the signal; it may not matter at all.

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »

I couldn't find any switches (at a sane price) to do this when I looked 3-4 years ago.

I bought some generic 4-way switch for £20 or so but it badly distorted the output from the PC (desktop was very blurred @ 1920x1080). Not so noticeable when the PC was outputting actual video rather than a static image but it was still there.

This was on a Dell 27" monitor rather than a TV & 2-way switches we had lying around (you all know how that goes) were just the same. Obviously the monitor was fine without the switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »

I had a feeling that was likely to be the case. Thanks again for the advice. I've decided to go for a new monitor with two HDMI inputs.
  Eric

rob

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »

I know I'm probably late to this, but if you're only using HDMI for (non-HDCP) video then you can use HDMI to DVI-D cables (both DVI and HDMI use TMDS for video) meaning you can use DVI switches which are easier to come by.  What a DVI switch is unlikely to do is CEC signalling and certainly not HDMI audio.

Stated resolutions are there for a guide only since it's really the pixel clock that's the limiting factor.  Any single link DVI switch should be capable of handling video with a pixel clock of up to 165MHz (1080p @ 60Hz pixel clock is 148.5MHz).  If it can't then it's unfit for purpose.  Dual link DVI switches will support 2 165MHz pixel clock links.

If you could find a suitable monitor and graphics card then you would be able to push 4K Ultra HD @ 13Hz through single link DVI (161Mhz pixel clock), but at 13Hz it wouldn't be most enjoyable experience (it's pretty bad at 30Hz).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »

Thanks, I'll store that for possible future reference.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]

anything