Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: BT nationwide rolling out G.INP/PhyR and changes to DLM.  (Read 86335 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT nationwide rolling out G.INP/PhyR and changes to DLM.
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »

Not one for monitoring my stats, as regulars will know, but I've just viewed my circuit using WHOOSH and I was G.INP'd on 27/03/15 and have gained 10Meg synch speed on my DS.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »

I spoke to a local BTOR guy last week. He only had ECI modems in the van.

Pretty sure the entire county is sporting BDCM cabs...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »

Oops, sorry my bad, I was misinterpreting something on the PN forums then.    Im a wee bit in the dark being on an ECI cab, so I'll edit my post.  :-[

However, there certainly does appear to be some issues starting to emerge for some people using ECI modems after g.inp has been enabled.  Those using BCM devices seem to have seen benefits such as reduced latency, higher speeds, higher SNR etc.    Those with the ECI modems are complaining of high latency and reduced speeds.  AAISP has also picked up on this and reported it to BT.

Another comment in the same thread, has made me wonder if it could be something to do with this reported by BS and why BT are swapping out the VCMMs.   

Yeah, this might be due to the mismatching chipset.

as a bcm device is a bcm to bcm connection.

Advanced tech on xDSL seems to always get problematic when chipset's mix, so makes me a bit concerned about those of us on ECI cabs using BCM modems, will we hit similar issues.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »

FWIW, it also seems that users with unlocked HG612s, but with older firmware versions & remote BTOR updates blocked are seeing similar issues as soon as G.INP is activated at their Huawei cabinet DSLAM.

i.e. The modem will sync, but at a quite heavily interleaved depth & thus reduced sync speeds.

The 'fix' appears to be upgrade the HG612 to the latest firmware version which does appear to be G.INP ready.

I have never blocked BTOR updates on my HG612 & despite losing the GUI (which I don't personally need), the transition to G.INP was very smooth/instant.

I haven't seen much in the way of improved speeds etc. but my connection does still appear to be capped at 22.4Mbps/5Mbps sync speeds, no doubt due to crosstalk over 1100m or so of copper.

However, I do now see incredibly few error seconds and incredibly few CRCs.
However, due to the low levels of interleaving now applied to my previously fast path connection, I do see a fair few FEC, the 'new' LEFTRS, rtx_tx, rtx_c & an occasional rtx_uc counts.

There is quite a difference between Line Attenuation & Signal attenuation, but nobody seems able/willing to tell me whether that is due to perhaps being on a 'stable' profile or not.

Maybe DLM will relent in due course?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »

Not one for monitoring my stats, as regulars will know, but I've just viewed my circuit using WHOOSH and I was G.INP'd on 27/03/15 and have gained 10Meg synch speed on my DS.

Thats how 'G.INP is supposed to work' in everyones mind.  ;D
As per Life of Brian "You lucky, lucky bastard."  :D ;D

Can I ask what sync you were on before ?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »

FWIW, it also seems that users with unlocked HG612s, but with older firmware versions & remote BTOR updates blocked are seeing similar issues as soon as G.INP is activated at their Huawei cabinet DSLAM.

The 'fix' appears to be upgrade the HG612 to the latest firmware version which does appear to be G.INP ready.

Does this imply that if you are not running the latest firmware and/or running the BT Agent DLM is taking a safe option that is 'G.INP safe and possibly also Vectoring Safe'
Of course if you are NOT running a HG612 or ECI modem this means you are hit, by default.

For my Information: What is the correct firmware version ?

I am tempted to put my HG612 back with the correct setup to see if things improve.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »

Does this imply that if you are not running the latest firmware and/or running the BT Agent DLM is taking a safe option that is 'G.INP safe and possibly also Vectoring Safe'

Not sure about vectoring, but it certainly does 'seem' to confirm the need to update (and/or allow remote updates) to the latest firmware version for HG612s.

Of course if you are NOT running a HG612 or ECI modem this means you are hit, by default.

Not necessarily.
I have seen stats from Billion & ZyXel modem users where G.INP has been satisfactorily activated.
I suppose it does depend which firmware versions they are using though.

For my Information: What is the correct firmware version ?

I am tempted to put my HG612 back with the correct setup to see if things improve.

These are the G.INP compatible versions for the HG612:-

equipcmd swversion display
software version: V100R001C01B030SP08
xdsl firmware version: A2pv6C038m.d24j
cpu version: BCM6368
cfe version: 1.0.37-102.6

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »

Many Thanks. BE1

[Non-trusting OR mode on  ;D]
I mentioned vectoring as the issue with the 'right' modem and G.INP is exactly what is going to raised when/if vectoring is enabled.

All the 'non-OR sanctioned' modems in use are beyond their control.
Some of these may be Vectoring non-friendly and would impact the effectiveness of the vectoring itself.
It would be very useful to 'force' change now when G.INP is rolled out and avoid issues with vectoring later.
All the 'Vectoring non-Friendly' modems could be flagged up now and a view taken of the numbers/distribution & possible impact.
[Non-trusting OR mode off  ;D]

I am not a very trusting soul at times.  ;D

I'll put my tin foil hat back on now.  ;) ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »

Thats how 'G.INP is supposed to work' in everyones mind.  ;D
As per Life of Brian "You lucky, lucky bastard."  :D ;D

Can I ask what sync you were on before ?

Ha ha ..... I'm wondering if it's because I can view my stats if I wished to, on WHOOSH, rather than having to 'crack' the modem ??? Anyhows, there's a picture attached of my stats pre and post G.INP.
Apologies for the size/quality ..... it's not my forte buggering about with pictures.  :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »

Apologies for the size/quality ..... it's not my forte buggering about with pictures.  :-[

I've tried (on your behalf) . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »

Thank you, sir. Appreciate your efforts.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2015, 01:16:21 AM »

There was a time about 18 months ago for a while whereby there was a distinct shortage of the Huawei modems and ECI's were being dished out regardless of which cab you were on.   I think BS may have posted at around that time that BT had stopped matching equipment as they had decided it didnt really matter.  The contractor who initially installed my fttc connection only had ECI modems on his van..  I asked because I specifically wanted a HG612, only to be told they were only being given ECIs by BT. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2015, 01:17:35 AM »

Nice result there Mr BlackSheep :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:24 AM »

Yeah, this might be due to the mismatching chipset.

as a bcm device is a bcm to bcm connection.

Advanced tech on xDSL seems to always get problematic when chipset's mix, so makes me a bit concerned about those of us on ECI cabs using BCM modems, will we hit similar issues.

BCM's have always seemed to perform much better on my line, and Im on an ECI cab.   Even when with Be* on an Alcatel ISAM, BCMs worked best.   
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2015, 07:28:53 AM »

There was a time about 18 months ago for a while whereby there was a distinct shortage of the Huawei modems and ECI's were being dished out regardless of which cab you were on.   I think BS may have posted at around that time that BT had stopped matching equipment as they had decided it didnt really matter.  The contractor who initially installed my fttc connection only had ECI modems on his van..  I asked because I specifically wanted a HG612, only to be told they were only being given ECIs by BT.

As always, the boss is correct. Our 'Stores' only despatch ECI Modems due to the powers-that-be dictating there was no noticeable difference with mismatched vendors equipment.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12